Jhon Durán

PieFacE

Even if we entertained selling. It would make zero sense to Chelsea. We should not be strengthening other teams in the league. Unless the replacements are improvements on what we have. 

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's really as simple as that. If he's useful for us and the manager wants to keep him, I wouldn't want him to leave because he hurt my feelings by liking some stuff on Twitter in March.

It's not purely the liking of things in Twitter though is it?! People are oversimplifying things. It's the fact that there are strong hints that he may not be committed to being here.

We need a squad that's committed to the cause.

Someone deleting Villa from all their social media posts (months back) and then liking several Chelsea tweets, coupled with the McGinn comments suggest to me he's not content at Villa, and that there's a character issue.

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Exactly he's never said anything which means he pretty clearly doesn't mean it the way you guys are taking it. The club doesn't air dirty laundry, if he was an issue mcginn wouldn't have said anything. 

How else did McGinn mean it? I'm still waiting for you to answer that.

'Sometimes you think come on big man, have a bit more respect.'

Please tell us exactly what he meant by this since you are clearly more well informed than all of us.

I'd like to keep hold of Jhon if possible. Could be one of those sales that comes back to haunt us if he realises his potential.

As with everything I'll trust whatever Unai decides to do with him. If he's too much of a disruptive influence then let him be someone else's problem.

Seems like he'll fit in well with the premadonnas at The Bridge.

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Please tell us exactly what he meant by this since you are clearly more well informed than all of us.

Maybe McGinn’s wry sense of humour has passed you by. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is perfectly possible the issue subject to the current conjecture, is not significant enough to see Duran leave and some fans are therefore reading way too much in to it.

Or, he's off to Chelsea this summer.

🤔

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Maybe because he's a 20 year old, who probably is confident AF. He's probably a bit annoying, probably makes jokes he shouldn't, maybe even argues with emery about lack of game time. That doesn't make him a problem player like you guys are all implying. 

And you keep putting that quote - when he doesn't even say that in the interview you linked on pgae 213. Mcginn says 'he's sometimes a bit of a nightmare to have in your squad' and then chuckles. It's clearly a bit of a joke and not a serious issue. 

I'm sorry if mcginn aired out dirty laundry like that he should be stripped on the captaincy. You handle anything like that behind close doors if you really think that is what mcginn meant give your head a wobble. 

Edited by MotoMkali

20 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I like Duran a lot and I love a good unpredictable, powerful striker but he does give me an overall bad vibe.

The comments from McGinn in three different interviews around being "hard to manage", "a nightmare" and not showing respect, liking a ton of Chelsea posts on socials after that strange Poch hug, the cycles of removing everything related to Villa from his Instagram and then restoring it a few days later. Worst of all for me, is the way he celebrates big moments or goals with a shrug as if to say "see? This is what I can do but I don't get a chance to show it".

I get it, he's young and hopefully he can be focused at stay here to contribute to our next campaign. But if he can't see that an ever-improving Villa side managed by one of the world's elite coaches, competing and learning from a top Premier League striker, is the right place for him, I do wonder if we need to look elsewhere.

There were comments to one one of the podcasts - May have been Dan Bardell/Greg Evans - that a January move was very much in discussions before he got injured

We can try and brush off things as just twitter activity etc but there are to many flags to things

He is a very exciting prospect who has a great nack of coming on and making a difference as a wildcard but when he starts he is so raw/rash and in that moment where you need control of the game and a bit more tactical awareness he still has a way to go - He is in perfect place to get that with Emery but seems he wants it now and so will push for that move

I would be asking for 40m and a sell on personally though as there is definitely a very good player there

• Like 1

Why do we continually undervalue our players on here  .  If we did sell to say Chelsea. The absolute minimum must be 60 million. 

For gawd sake they paid 80 million plus for mudryk so that's what we use as a gauge.

4 minutes ago, gatecrasha said:

Why do we continually undervalue our players on here  .  If we did sell to say Chelsea. The absolute minimum must be 60 million. 

For gawd sake they paid 80 million plus for mudryk so that's what we use as a gauge.

Exactly. They are one of the richest clubs on the planet. They pay premium prices only.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Problem child or not, he is still a young lad who left Colombia at 17 to go to 2 big countries, which each then offered him a lot of money and lots of spare time when not playing. As someone else said, for Villa it's win-win.  If it's a storm in a tea cup then great we have a talented player in our squad who can develop over time. If he wants out then we'll get a load of cash like the last time we had a dim-witted, uber talented, man-child with aspirations of grandeur elsewhere (maybe not £100m though).

I trust Unai & Monchi to not let him be a distraction and to bin him off if they need to. If they keep him this summer, it tells me all I need to know

*Also I checked on Instagram and he follows a lot of footballers and large bottomed women from South America. John McGinn combines his 2 big loves so they should be best buds! 😀

Edited by _AA_786

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

If we did have to make a big sale, realistically you're looking at Luiz ~ £80m, JJ ~ £50m, or Duran ~ £40m.

Who are we selling there? I reckon 90% go for Duran, and that's regardless of this Chelsea stuff.

There's little sentimental attachment and he hasn't played a lot for us (because luckily he hasn't been needed or he's not trusted enough yet). His potential is massive on the pitch, but there's clearly also potential to cause chaos off it and he's just as likely to pick up yellow cards as goals.

I love the mad bastard so far, and his cameo against Liverpool started the positive upturn that continued into Tuesday night, but if we have to sell or we want to sell to spend more then unfortunately it's probably got to be big Jhon unless we can great deals for all of the players we don't actually want at all.

No one will spend £50m on JJ after the season he’s just had.

He will need to prove his fitness over a sustained period before anyone would take the risk. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Maybe because he's a 20 year old, who probably is confident AF. He's probably a bit annoying, probably makes jokes he shouldn't, maybe even argues with emery about lack of game time. That doesn't make him a problem player like you guys are all implying. 

And you keep putting that quote - when he doesn't even say that in the interview you linked on pgae 213. Mcginn says 'he's sometimes a bit of a nightmare to have in your squad' and then chuckles. It's clearly a bit of a joke and not a serious issue. 

I'm sorry if mcginn aired out dirty laundry like that he should be stripped on the captaincy. You handle anything like that behind close doors if you really think that is what mcginn meant give your head a wobble. 

• Thanks 1

Even when he says "Hopefully, here, he can do that" it's as if he doesn't believe it and that he wants out.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that but we'll see.

Hopefully he does become content at Villa because his potential is insane, I've never said otherwise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I wonder what Duran is really like. 
like is he just a bit thick, a bit of a diva or just genuinely the human embodiment of chaos

because he definitely plays like all three 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Maybe JPA should have a quiet word with him. 

Not sure how I can help given my stance but sure, I can give it a go

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â