Jhon Durán

PieFacE

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Does anybody actually know what’s going on with Duran. Has he been injured or is it a falling out of some sort? Seems odd he isn’t getting many minutes. 

Pretty sure he's had a toe injury. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I watched him in the warm up before the game - the bit they do at the start in little lines in front of the Holte End down by the Doug Ellis, and to be honest, I found it a little worrying.

He looked a little emotional, a little sad and a little frustrated, but mostly just a bit lost. I was stood maybe ten to fifteen feet from him and I kept hoping to catch his eye as I was wanted to give him a bit of encouragement, but it was noticeable that he didn't want to make eye contact with anyone - often looking up to the sky rather than look at anyone either on the sideline or warming up alongside him.

The effort wasn't there in that warm up because if I'm honest it didn't look like he was entirely there - if he'd started to cry I wouldn't have been surprised. It was all just a little bit sad - he's a teenager, 4,000 miles form home who looks to be struggling and quite frankly he looked like he needed a hug - and yes, I know that there's also a trained, aggressive athlete in there too, but it was hard not to watch him warm up and think of the boy a million miles from home.

I dunno, maybe that's just how he is and it's my perception making a drama out of nothing - I'm happy if that's the case.

According to his instagram, he's already in Barcelona right now - and I can't help but worry that he's finding solace in girls and parties when he looks like he could really do with a weekend at home with his family. 

He's a massive talent, and clearly someone who is lead by his heart, he needs guidance, looking after and a bit of love - i hope he gets it here.

Appreciate that insight mate, great post generally as well.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Does anybody actually know what’s going on with Duran. Has he been injured or is it a falling out of some sort? Seems odd he isn’t getting many minutes. 

Infected toe. I'm guessing it's an injury that prevents playing for a period and then is ideally left unstressed (competitive gameplay) for another period. Okay in the match day squad to help him feel included and to feature on a bench of 9 players (guessing Emery knows of an unlikely scenario where Duran would be required to play despite a small chance the recovery might be set back), but Duran wouldn't have been on the previous benches of 2 or 3 or 5 players.

I sit right at the front of the Holte where they do pre match warm ups and his heart was not in that. He was putting in the bare minimum. He did grin and wave to someone briefly who had a columbian flag but aside from that looked liked he'd rather be anywhere else and i was worried for him. Can't comment on the half time reports 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think as he is very young and the type to wear his heart on his sleeve, he is missing the familiarity and comforts of home. He probably backed himself to have a Benteke-like impact on the club, which is good and what you want all new signings to be like, that mentality to be the best. He hasnt been the star striker as he is young and we have ollie up top doing a great job, but his opportunity will come with time. I saw him celebrate the goal in some of the online photos post-game and think after some rest with his family he will come back after the international break in a better state of mind.

• Like 2

I get big Shaun Maloney vibes from this one. Clearly a talented player but is not adapting due to homesickness and maybe a false sense of deserving to play when he is clearly being kept out of the squad by superior, more experienced players at this level. 

• Like 1

The kid will be absolutely fine with the exceptional support that we have at the club. This is just growing pains that are to be expected. 

Most importantly, he has a tonne of great pros and a wonderful human being of a manager to help. The fact that we have so many South Americans and Spanish speakers will also help. 

If they haven’t already the club need to move his family to the area just to put the full care package in place. 

He’ll get plenty of game time over the coming months as well.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, est1874 said:

maybe a false sense of deserving to play when he is clearly being kept out of the squad by superior, more experienced players at this level. 

If it were this, he's doing a damned good job of pretending not to sulk. 

He was bouncing up and down on the touchline after both of our early goals last weekend. Was the first player to get to McGinn to congratulate him. That doesn't shout false sense of entitlement to me. 

• Like 3

I’m sure he’ll be fine. It’s not like the situation JPA faced when he joined the club when he was effectively left to it. The club is very professional now, so if Duran is struggling with certain things the club will support him.

Â