Jhon Durán

PieFacE

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

I expected him to go absolutely nuts after scoring. What was he staring at in the stands? Didn't look like the look you'd give to family. 

I think it was a " I know, I can do it" now " you know I can do it"......kinda look.

I have to admit I'm worried he's our backup striker.  I know we haven't seen much of him yet but didn't look a threat when he came on last night.  There are others that can do a job upfront if required, but it's there anyone in the u21s or reserves who has caught UE eye more than Archer?

My worry last night was his petulance, he left a bit on every player he challenged.  Scottish Football will take that, play the Spaniards or Italians and they will be rolling around as if they have been poleaxed.

I know he is a kid, but needs to get smart and quick if he wants to play as the back up to Ollie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I have to admit I'm worried he's our backup striker.  I know we haven't seen much of him yet but didn't look a threat when he came on last night.  There are others that can do a job upfront if required, but it's there anyone in the u21s or reserves who has caught UE eye more than Archer?

the thing for me is that right now if everyone is fit he doesn't need to bag 10+ goals (although it would obviously be nice...) his main job in this current team would be to occupy the two CBs and create space for diaby who will get the 10+ goals

take the everton game for example, he would just need to battle the two CBs which is all everton wanted to do anyway, if he can drag in the DMC too then even better, control the line, control the shape of the defense, give other better players freedom and we will be fine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the thing for me is that right now if everyone is fit he doesn't need to bag 10+ goals (although it would obviously be nice...) his main job in this current team would be to occupy the two CBs and create space for diaby who will get the 10+ goals

take the everton game for example, he would just need to battle the two CBs which is all everton wanted to do anyway, if he can drag in the DMC too then even better, control the line, control the shape of the defense, give other better players freedom and we will be fine

This is great as long as those players he's making space for do score on a regular basis.  Would have been nice for Diaby to score yesterday but didn't look on it.  I guess we use games where we are in this position to give Duran experience and also the players around him get used to his style.

Why are people worried about this kid? I don’t ever remember us having a nineteen year old striker with as much promise as Duran. Unai also obviously rated him and that’s good enough for me. He did well when he came on and these experiences will only help to improve him,

6 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Why are people worried about this kid? I don’t ever remember us having a nineteen year old striker with as much promise as Duran. Unai also obviously rated him and that’s good enough for me. He did well when he came on and these experiences will only help to improve him,

I wonder if it's people forgetting that he's 19. He had the build, confidence, and really first team experience (in a weaker league) of someone at least 2 years older. 

Maybe the cost relative to our most expensive signing as well. Whilst not much in the context of the current market and his potential, it is a lot for a club that had only spent more than on a player a handful of times.

• Like 1

Would like to see a bit more effort from him to close players down when he's coming on late in games, Ollie busting a gut for 70 minutes doesnt help his case but he should be able to do it for 20 minutes.

Emery seems perfectly happy to keep him around to the point where Archer's been shipped off and it doesn't look like we're signing another striker. It speaks volumes that he's even getting minutes for us right now (and is considered good enough to do so). How many U21 strikers are even playing in the Premier League at the moment? I'm pretty sure it's literally just Evan Ferguson, Broja (barring his injury) and Duran capable of getting minutes. Playing as a striker in the Premier League is extraordinarily difficult as it is, let alone for a 19 year old: the fact he doesn't look too out of place is really promising.

For a comparison, at 19:

• Archer spent 6 months at loan at Solihull Moors
  • Watkins was just breaking into the squad of League 2's Exeter City
Edited by wishywashy

24 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Emery seems perfectly happy to keep him around to the point where Archer's been shipped off and it doesn't look like we're signing another striker. It speaks volumes that he's even getting minutes for us right now (and is considered good enough to do so). How many U21 strikers are even playing in the Premier League at the moment? I'm pretty sure it's literally just Evan Ferguson, Broja (barring his injury) and Duran capable of getting minutes. Playing as a striker in the Premier League is extraordinarily difficult as it is, let alone for a 19 year old: the fact he doesn't look too out of place is really promising.

For a comparison, at 19:

• Archer spent 6 months at loan at Solihull Moors
  • Watkins was just breaking into the squad of League 2's Exeter City

He really does.

• Like 1

I think he's being managed at the right level. 10 minutes here and there. Maybe a start in the early cup games.

For me - he looks completely lost even in the open field but the raw talent is undeniable.

Comparisons to Archer don't really help him, he's never going to be like Archer and likewise,  Archer will never be like Duran. What Duran should be doing is putting in 100% effort physically and I just don't see it. It maybe that Ollies work ethic is blurring my view but to me he has to but everything he has physically for 20 minutes. I know he's 19 and has tons of potential but he needs to look at Ollie and mimic his application, he needs to close defenders down. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Comparisons to Archer don't really help him, he's never going to be like Archer and likewise,  Archer will never be like Duran. What Duran should be doing is putting in 100% effort physically and I just don't see it. It maybe that Ollies work ethic is blurring my view but to me he has to but everything he has physically for 20 minutes. I know he's 19 and has tons of potential but he needs to look at Ollie and mimic his application, he needs to close defenders down. 

He does close defenders down. Which is why he has a tonne of bookings in the short time he's played for us. 

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

I know what you mean. He doesn't have to be pressing all the time but even when the ball is recycled, Ollie almost always busts a gut to get into the right lane that he should be blocking whereas Duran will press and then not hustle back to get into shape. 

Okay when we're up 3-1 but will take a long time for him to see meaningful game time if he doesn't stay in shape.

• Thanks 1

Â