Jhon Durán

PieFacE

8 hours ago, John said:

Chelsea have done this sort of thing for years. He's a prospect for the future, rather than one for now. I expect him to be loaned out to a club (at home or abroad) with a view to getting plenty of first team starts this season and coming back to us in a year's time, ready to make a difference to our squad options, in the way that Archer has. 

No different to them signing Fofana (the striker). Came from Norway, had the odd sub cameo and now been loaned to Strasbourg.

That's the sort of loan we need to be finding for Duran as anyone could see from his sub games for us his all round game is very raw so too risky to have him as main back up for Ollie.

Hopefully Diaby and Archer as the CF back ups will be the scenario in a few weeks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Apparently given extra time off as he had  international u20 at the turn of the yr. Taken from Astonforza

Seems like some fairly special treatment, but given how fast he has had to move and how young it is maybe its logical.

Even more so if Emery isn't expecting him to need to be fit for the start of the season as he's got plans for Archer 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markc said:

Jhon Jader Durán will report to work with Aston Villa on August 1st.

His environment denies ongoing negotiations with Espanyol and with any other team for a loan.

Not sure what the environment bit means.

It’s not well translated, understand it as his entourage rather than environment 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Not a possibility he goes on loan - he status with us is the jist of the this. 

Yeah plenty of games this side of Christmas with EFL Cup and ECL plus time off the bench in PL. Better to use those opportunities while we have them and FA Cup in Jan before possibly thinking about Loans for either

• Like 2

On 05/07/2023 at 13:53, useless said:

The people who laughted at Chelsea paying £20m for Chukwuemeka mostly only did so out of bitterness because he left us, many of the same kind of people probably suggesting we buy Alex Scott for a bigger fee and Scott as good as he is isn't as good as Chukwuemeka, £20m for Chukwuemeka was cheap; of course from the point of view that if they'd have waited they could have had him on a free transfer months later then the fee seems over the top, but many top clubs in Europe wanted him, so one of them was always going to buy him before it got to that to stop the others getting him on a free transfer.

If Chelsea were to send if him to Championship next season and if he was to do well, which I've no doubt whatsoever he would, then already he would be worth more than what they paid for him, £20m wouldn't even be enough to buy Iroegbunam or Aaron Ramsey after their good seasons in the Championship, people think we can get twenty million plus for Archer, maybe we can, but that rather makes my point for me, for if you ask most clubs who they would rather have between Chukwuemeka and Archer I bet most would say Chukwuemeka, taking nothing away from Archer, just that Chukwuemeka is a very good player and easily worth the money Chelsea paid for him, and I don't think they actually paid the full £20m was closer to twelve or fifteen, which for them makes it even more of a good deal, if it doesn't work out that fee is nothing to them, if they have to pay the extra then will be more than worth it.

Duran is younger than Chukwuemeka, still very young for a Premier League player, or a player at any level, and has already proven he can score and assist at Major League level which isn't as high a level as the Premier League, but it's still way higher than say U21 football which is the level most players Duran's age are playing at, and has also scored at senior international level, for his age he's ahead of most.

When we signed him all I kept seeing were comments like it's a good signing because it's the kind of signing Brighton would make, and after he's played not even two games worth of football it's suddenly not a good signing or whatever, he hasn't played enough for us yet to be judged.

I'm not sure about that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

He’s still a bit of a puzzle to me, if Emery is comfortable having Duran as one of our only true striker options I imagine he shows a lot more in training than he has in his limited game time.

Or he see's his potential and has a pretty good idea of how to get a striker out of him.

UE would not put faith in Archer or Duran to go in to a new season, if he didn't think they can be an asset to us.....They are both young stikers, its a hard job to master, but they need to learn and some of their learning is done.....Now its time to step up and mix it with the big boys....Thats what incremental progress is.

We are all second guessing the outcome.....They need to be let loose in a managed process, and we have one on the best men to do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grantholtgolazo said:

He’s still a bit of a puzzle to me, if Emery is comfortable having Duran as one of our only true striker options I imagine he shows a lot more in training than he has in his limited game time.

Why is it a puzzle? What’s unusual about a 19 year old introduced slowly to first team football in a new league?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Why is it a puzzle? What’s unusual about a 19 year old introduced slowly to first team football in a new league?

With the stated goal of champions league football it’s obvious we need players capable at that level. While a 19 year old may be able to have success playing at the highest levels, generally choosing players who have exhibited the desired level of performance currently/previously is a higher percentage choice. I have no problem with Duran (or Archer) staying with the team, just slightly surprised that with our sky high ambitions the coaches have decided now is the time to rely on these types of players.

23 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Weekly reminder that he is 6 months younger than Louie Barry…. he needs to be handled very carefully as he continues to grow and develop and it’s great that the club are giving him all the time that he needs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t get the desire to attach a narrative to Jhon’s development here. We signed him because of his potential and would ease him into first team action. That’s not changed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

I don’t get the desire to attach a narrative to Jhon’s development here. We signed him because of his potential and would ease him into first team action. That’s not changed. 

Not sure if you were referring to me re:attaching a narrative. I think easing into the first team can look different in different cases, for instance I think sending a young player on loan is one way to “ease a player into first team action”. 

I am slightly surprised that pushing for champions league places we are setting up to have three forwards at the club, two being Duran/Archer. I have confidence in Unai, it just seems that an attacking player with a bit more proven track record could be valuable in our current situation. 

I will say I’m buoyed by everyone else’s confidence in the player, if the consensus is he looks ready then let’s go 

Also: What possible good is there in Unai blaring to the world that ASTON VILLA WANT A NEW STRIKER! ? It seems good management and market savvy to be supportive of the promising strikers we have. I don't think there's a doubt that the Monchi Man has eyes and ears all over the world right now, on the hunt. But, I hope, quietly? It's clear that the market is tight, and there's a 60-70% chance we won't find a deal by the end of the summer. So what choice does Unai have, really? There's a decent chance we will need Jhonny whether it's ideal or not, and Unai would be silly to rule that out right now with time left on the window and preseason matches to play. This is almost a moment of parenting for Unai. You gotta love them all and also be honest with them, and sometimes you gotta just hurry up and wait with patience even though you know the stakes are sky-high.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Â