• Bailey
    • Moreno (Digne 10)
    • Ings (Watkins 32)
    • Sanson (Ramsey 81)
    • Coutinho (Buendía 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/01/23 at 23:59

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Moreno was poor? Wrong. Excellent debut.

Loads of misplaced passes, lack of understanding with teammates, not one dribble, defended okay, but clearly needs time to properly integrate, and  get used to the pace.

• Confused 3
  • Shocked 1

So not long back from the game. A rather frought affair which never looked comfortable in reality against a spikey Leeds team. Could not believe their keeper didn't walk for the denial of a goal scoring opportunity and am really confused by Bailey. He occasionally does something brilliant but then does 3 things which do not belong on a Premier League football pitch! 

Should have been easier apart from the self inflicted damage we always seem to cause! Their winger did cause problems but we dealt with the balls into the box very well I felt. Some odd refereeing decisions which nearly cost us but overall a Great win.

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Loads of misplaced passes, lack of understanding with teammates, not one dribble, defended okay, but clearly needs time to properly integrate, and  get used to the pace.

Excellent clearance, second half started to link up better with the attacking players, looks like he can actually cross a ball. All in all very promising.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Loving Emery and the points on the board since he took over but I actually thought we were poor today and lucky to get 3 points. But obviously a win is always nice and it’s good to see us dig deep and grind out the result. 

We weren't poor. I don't buy into that. Our effort and energy was brilliant. I thought the defending was top class, and it always seemed like the counter was on to add more goals too. Losing Digne and Watkins so early shouldn't be underestimated too, we recovered well. That was a very good performance imo, albeit there are areas we need to improve (I think that comes with personnel changes tbh). UTV

What a reaction to Stevenage! Love it. 👊

• Like 4

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

We weren't poor. I don't buy into that. Our effort and energy was brilliant. I thought the defending was top class, and it always seemed like the counter was on to add more goals too. Losing Digne and Watkins so early shouldn't be underestimated too, we recovered well. That was a very good performance imo, albeit there are areas we need to improve (I think that comes with personnel changes tbh). UTV

What a reaction to Stevenage! Love it. 👊

Ok poor probably the wrong word. I didn’t think we kept the ball well at all and a better team would have punished us. I think I’m scarred by Gerrards great start at Villa so just taking it a game at a time before getting too carried away. I’ve no doubt we’re finally in good hand though. 

26 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Excellent clearance, second half started to link up better with the attacking players, looks like he can actually cross a ball. All in all very promising.

One excellent block. Otherwise didn't do lot in defense. Got forward well to have a shot. That's all he really did. I'm not knocking him, coming into a game to replace am injured player for your debut, after two days at new club in a new league, in that context he was good. But objectively just looking at what he did in the match. Average at best.

I try to stay balanced. For example I didn't write Buendia off for his poor first half, but did say he was poor. I then praised his improvement in the second.

Alot of the praise for Moreno is down to us winning, and him coming on in a difficult situation, and making a goal saving action. His performance could be seen as promising, but certainly not excellent, or even good.
For what it's worth, I believe he will be a good signing for us, as Emery clearly feels he can be important for us. But I'm not going to get carried away.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok poor probably the wrong word. I didn’t think we kept the ball well at all and a better team would have punished us. I think I’m scarred by Gerrards great start at Villa so just taking it a game at a time before getting too carried away. I’ve no doubt we’re finally in good hand though. 

Gerrard started well but in fairness most of his early wins were against other "lesser" teams and we only really won when we played well. Under Unai we've had quite a variety of wins already.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think that is a unhealthy way of looking at the game. You could argue if we beat Leeds 4-1 - it would have been merited based on some of our chances. It was a good performance. There are areas we need to improve but I think that will come through transfers and confidence. UTV

Didn't watch it as it was 3am here, I know stats don't paint the whole picture but we won 2-1, had more possession, more shots and more shots on target. 

Anyone reading this thread would think it was an absolute robbery. 

Was it really that bad? 

• Like 1

Not a great performance but an effective one. Can see the change in mentality Unai is trying to instill. Bailey does one thing really well (the goal) then the next 4 or 5 moves

He stuffs up. Thought we looked comfortable at 2 - 0 and could have added more but for poor finishing/decision making. Kamara motm all day long what a 

Classy player. Good start for the new signing and will only get better as will the team as we continue under the smart tutelage of Unai

After the Stevenage game, then two players going off early in the first half with injuries, then a brand new player coming in with barely a training session under his belt, this was a really decent win. Nervy -yep. But very satisfying!

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I did say this in the match thread.

However whilst people may have thought " we were bad " I feel there is always a neglect for the fact that there's another team involved, and they may just be playing very well ( Regardless of any pre conceived notion, their past results or " status ).

Jessie Marsch has said to BBC that's their best performance since he has been there.

They swarmed us incessantly , they prevented us from playing.

However we still came out on top, which is very important.

Yes, Leeds were very good, especially in the first half. And scoring in the 3rd minute with a great goal, now that was a good reaction from the FA Cup giantkilling. And then?

For us to go 42 minutes plus added time without a single shot, and at home, was horrible. (Now that wasn't much of a reaction from last Sunday!) . We do that now and then in first halves and I can't stand it. Thank goodness we were much better in the second half!

1. Our attempts in the 1st half:  1
  2. Our attempts in the 2nd half:  10

Â