Weekends Football 6/7 January

andykeenan

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Wrexham took almost 5,000 fans to Coventry. That’s seriously impressive. They’ve been very prudently run by Reynolds and the bloke from it’s always sunny in philly but getting out of the vanarama is bloody hard. They finished 2nd last year. Went out in the playoffs. 2nd again now. Best to just put the foot down now, maybe over spend for a few in jan ( they have the money ) and win the league. 

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t think prudent is the word. They have the highest wage bill in the division by some distance and the owners are probably something in the region of £2-3M down already, if they don’t get promoted this season they’ll be the best part of £5M down by this time next season.

Yeah, they're Man City'ing the Vanarama National League.  Paul Mullin being there is ridiculous to be honest.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, they're Man City'ing the Vanarama National League.  Paul Mullin being there is ridiculous to be honest.

I agree, they have the wealth to make that type of signing and he should not be playing at that level. The team isn’t littered with Mullin type signings though. If it was, they’d be pissing the league. They aren’t. The owners have invested significantly in the community. Feels less of a vanity project too compared to Neville and Salford. That’s all about him and he’s very disruptive and also i don’t think they’ve the money to move that on. 

19 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I agree, they have the wealth to make that type of signing and he should not be playing at that level. The team isn’t littered with Mullin type signings though. If it was, they’d be pissing the league. They aren’t. The owners have invested significantly in the community. Feels less of a vanity project too compared to Neville and Salford. That’s all about him and he’s very disruptive and also i don’t think they’ve the money to move that on. 

Isn't Salford bankrolled by some Singaporean billionaire?

14 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

How many times is the lino wrong with VAR now. I would say more than the actual referee defo. There's a reason they never become refs.

Honestly, accurately judging tight offside calls is borderline impossible a lot of the time, even if the AR is perfectly positioned. I'd love to see a handful of random fans sent down to a training centre to run the line and try and make some calls and see how they do.

You need to be perfectly positioned and track a minimum of 2 independently moving players at the exact moment the ball is played, which is difficult enough without the assessment of "interfering with play" and all the other caveats. By the very nature of the offence and the call being tight, you're going to have an imperfect view because one of the players will be blocking the other, and you'll often be distracted by other players that aren't relevant, and offside isn't the only thing they are meant to be observing for.

It's one of the best reasons to have VAR, tight calls just can't be made perfectly in real time, and it's not something for the officials to be embarrassed about. Sometimes they make some shocking decisions, but I've a lot of sympathy, it's a bloody hard job

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, bobzy said:

And Ollie Palmer who they signed from League 1.

I don’t have an issue with it as I’m keen to see Wrexham return to the league and I like the guys involved in the ownership. 

I thought the documentary they did for last season was brilliant and I’m looking forward to seeing this seasons (I believe they’re filming it again), hopefully it ends positively for them.

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

The biggest scandal is that some fixtures use var in R3 and some don't. Should be level

I've never understood this argument. The teams playing with VAR aren't benefitting in any way over other teams in the competition, they aren't playing different rules.

They're playing the same rules which in theory at least have more chance of being applied correctly thanks to technology. Should all goal line tech be turned off too because they don't have it at Forest Green (presumably)? That makes absolutely no sense.

What you're arguing is not a level playing field is like saying it's not fair that one match is refereed by a "higher standard" premier league referee while another match has a league one ref.

Â