Weekends Football 6/7 January

andykeenan

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Vieira will be under pressure soon, he has gone unnoticed but Palace are really poor at the moment. Have only beaten teams in the bottom 7 and Gerrard this season and I think if was not higher profile teams doing so badly he would be flagged up

Bit of a nothing club though. Historically bob around the top two divisions.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bit of a nothing club though. Historically bob around the top two divisions.

I think the owners seem to have a bit more ambition than the club can realistically achieve that maybe a game run was on the cards

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the owners seem to have a bit more ambition than the club can realistically achieve that maybe a game run was on the cards

Recently they started a game with James Tomkins (who promptly got himself sent off and won't be seen again).

Of course the front players are exciting but they still don't have a decent CF and really steady eddie players like Joel Ward and Schlupp will only get you up the league so far so I think they're just a mid table team having a mid table season. Gallagher was always going to be a big miss aswell for how they play.

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think they've been really smart in the transfer window and picked up a fair bit of young English (London) talent and should be looking to progress this year and they've shown anything really to suggest that they have or will

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think they've been really smart in the transfer window and picked up a fair bit of young English (London) talent and should be looking to progress this year and they've shown anything really to suggest that they have or will

Eboiowei is nowhere near ready, he's getting loaned out this month.

Nathan Ferguson is another who seems to have disappeared down a hole, he was pretty highly rated at West Brom and played a fair bit for them in premier league.

Edited by VillaChris

Just now, villa4europe said:

I meant more eze, guehi, olise, Mitchell and ferguson

Eze was an obvious one, could see his ability at QPR and location helped. Ferguson as I just edited in played one game for them since signing in summer 2020. Olise has talent but I'm not convinced he's that good at prem level yet, has plenty of below part games.

Mitchell and Guehi on fringes of England squad but that dosen't automatically mean you should be battling for europe given we have Mings and Watkins on fringes of England squad ourselves.

Palace are where they should be I think as their squad is weaker than last season.

Bigger thing is they need to do something about Selhurst Park. Only 26k and it's a cresspit to put it mildly. Think they were looking at moving to a new ground years back but impossible due to land development costs.

With Palace I think how they handle the Zaha situation will be key. He is out of contract in the summer and he is 30, you would think he would sign on but you never know these days.

He would obviously command more in salary but at age 30 the duration of contract will probably be the problem for Palace, can't see them being too happy giving anything over 3 years?

Basically they need to start planning life after Zaha I think at this point.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Eze was an obvious one, could see his ability at QPR and location helped. Ferguson as I just edited in played one game for them since signing in summer 2020. Olise has talent but I'm not convinced he's that good at prem level yet, has plenty of below part games.

Mitchell and Guehi on fringes of England squad but that dosen't automatically mean you should be battling for europe given we have Mings and Watkins on fringes of England squad ourselves.

Palace are where they should be I think as their squad is weaker than last season.

Bigger thing is they need to do something about Selhurst Park. Only 26k and it's a cresspit to put it mildly. Think they were looking at moving to a new ground years back but impossible due to land development costs.

They have permission to rebuild the main stand for 2-3 years but have done nothing on it. It is easily the worst ground in the prem. I have seen better stadia in League One. It is a shitehole.

Â