Noob’s guide to visiting London

Genie

On 14/02/2023 at 17:58, Demitri_C said:

Doesnt hmv sell records? I know a lot of them have closed down but still a few lurking about

The answer they do but they're also the devil so anyone in to records shouldn't go there

They're expensive and then they also have a huge back to black / reissue range which I'm not a fan of, maybe hard to explain if you're not a record shopper but hmv are cold, you walk in pick up the record you want over pay for it and walk out, record shopping is more about time and hope flicking through piles of shit trying to unearth a gem

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The answer they do but they're also the devil so anyone in to records shouldn't go there

They're expensive and then they also have a huge back to black / reissue range which I'm not a fan of, maybe hard to explain if you're not a record shopper but hmv are cold, you walk in pick up the record you want over pay for it and walk out, record shopping is more about time and hope flicking through piles of shit trying to unearth a gem

There is a really old looking record shop near me called record detective agency. Not very big but its been there for years and is probably the kind of place that would be of interest  to you but its probably about 30 minutes from central london so might nit be worth a visit but heres the address anyway

Click

The Flashbacks are good @Seat68, though in all honesty I don't know how hot they are on the Country stuff?

You'll get some joy in the old school record shops, which are dotted here and there. It's not like you can spend all day browsing in one location like you could in days past in Soho, Camden or Croydon, sadly.

You may find some good gear around Brick Lane? There's market halls and basements around there, though as you'd expect you don't know who's going to show up?

I'll mull on this. Shout next time you're down.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2023 at 12:52, The Fun Factory said:

Go to London, I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

Big fan eh ? 😂

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

Ah, pity. They are usually ok with decent titles, but there are three shops... https://www.discogs.com/seller/FlashbackLondon/profile

I went to Brick Lane Rough Trade on Friday. Don't think I'll ever go back :)

Its a different experience for us visitors to the capital, they stock records I just can't get in Liverpool. Sure I can order them of t'interwebs etc but paying postage really pees me off as does having to go to a post office in a small window of opportunity on a Saturday morning when the records got delivered on Monday.

I appreciate that its a completely different experience for residents of London and can see why it would annoy but I found some stuff in the second hand section, two items in the reduced second hand section even that I've wanted for some time.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2023 at 13:32, KentVillan said:

One thing I'd say visitors always get wrong is getting the Tube everywhere and spending too much time around Leicester Square. A lot of central London is walkable (and safe) if you plan ahead.

Ergh i hate Leicester square. I never go there. One of my least liked places in London. Covent garden alot nicer in my opinion 

Like you when i am down central i like walking around there is tubes everywhere so you cavt really get lost/or worry about getting home

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Will be heading over to Wembley in August to see The Weeknd with the girlfriend. We will stay in Newmarket with my sister for a few days beforehand but would probably consider staying in 
London the night of the gig, any hotel recommendations or tips on how best to get in and out of Wembley?

On 04/06/2023 at 18:56, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Will be heading over to Wembley in August to see The Weeknd with the girlfriend. We will stay in Newmarket with my sister for a few days beforehand but would probably consider staying in 
London the night of the gig, any hotel recommendations or tips on how best to get in and out of Wembley?

whenever we went for the playoffs we parked at sudbury town tube which has a big car park so guess it depends on whether you're driving or getting train to the gig...if driving this is what i'd recommend but it is about 2 miles from the ground

if getting tube from central london, i'd just deal with the queues at wembley park/wembley central

• Like 1

On 04/06/2023 at 18:56, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Depends if you actually want to stay in London or if you’re just looking for an easy in/out. When I used to live in Brum, I’d stay in Rickmansworth, Chorleywood or somewhere on the tube. Then it’s an easy jump back onto the M40. Also, more people will be heading south back into London after the gig. 
If you’re looking to stay actually in London, hotels in The City (the financial district) are generally good bets at weekends as they’re a bit quieter than those in the West / West End. 

• Like 1

I'd second the recommendation to use Rickmansworth or Chorleywood, simply because: 1) you'll be heading in the opposite direction from most of the crowds at Wembley Park which means things will be faster and 2) I stand to gain from this arrangement financially and could really use the money.  :flag:  

I'd add places like Pinner, Watford or even Ruslip and Uxbridge if you want counter flow stuff.  They aren't the most exciting places but they are on the "country" side of Wembley, probably a bit cheaper and have good transport links to Wembley.    

Stations near the stadium are Wembley Park (which will definitely be the busiest, it's the one at the other end of Wembley Way you see on the TV on cup final day), Wembley Stadium, which is the closest to the stadium and has the fastest trains back to Central London, plus trains out to Buckinghamshire and Birmingham.  A bit further out you've got Wembley Central, which is in on the high street a mile or so from the stadium which has the Bakerloo Line and overground trains or Alperton and as @tomav84 mentioned, Sudbury Town on the Piccadilly Line which are the best part of two miles away, definitely a half hour walk (minimum) but will be far far far quieter than the madness surrounding the station. 

The City is a looooooong way from Wembley. Probably more than ten miles and it will take you the best part of an hour on a good day.  

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 18:27, The_Rev said:

The City is a looooooong way from Wembley. Probably more than ten miles and it will take you the best part of an hour on a good day.  

20 miuntes from Wembley to Kings Cross on the Metropolitan line, then 10 or so to Bank on the Northern, simple.

Edited by Risso

That’s assuming you’re standing at Wembley Park station, that the next Met Line train isn’t terminating at Baker Street, staying in a hotel on Threadneedle Street and it takes you zero seconds to change lines at King’s Cross St Pancras.  I’m being more realistic. 

I did it this morning Nays. 18 mins from Wembley Park to Kings Cross.  Even with changes and a walk etc, you could easily do it in half an hour. 35 mins tops.

Â