Noob’s guide to visiting London

Genie

1 hour ago, Risso said:

I did it this morning Nays. 18 mins from Wembley Park to Kings Cross.  Even with changes and a walk etc, you could easily do it in half an hour. 35 mins tops.

Was this Weeknd person playing a selection of their popular tunes to an audience of thousands all looking to get away as fast as possible, at the time?

Less facetiously, it's completely different when there's an event on, obviously.

We stayed in theWembley Novotel last night, halfway between the stadium and the tube. Obviously getting away immediately after a gig there is horrendous, which is why we chose to stay over instead. That stop/go system they use is horrible.  If you're not using the tube straight after the event then getting into centra London on the Metropolitan line is a piece of piss. Only about 5 stop and less than 20 minutes.

I heartily recommend the Novotel by the way. We had a suite that has two connecting rooms and a kitchen, brilliant for staying with young kids as we were. Price was very reasonable compared to central London hotels, which are mostly off the scale now.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 18:27, The_Rev said:

I'd second the recommendation to use Rickmansworth or Chorleywood, simply because: 1) you'll be heading in the opposite direction from most of the crowds at Wembley Park which means things will be faster and 2) I stand to gain from this arrangement financially and could really use the money.  :flag:  

I'd add places like Pinner, Watford or even Ruslip and Uxbridge if you want counter flow stuff.  They aren't the most exciting places but they are on the "country" side of Wembley, probably a bit cheaper and have good transport links to Wembley.    

Stations near the stadium are Wembley Park (which will definitely be the busiest, it's the one at the other end of Wembley Way you see on the TV on cup final day), Wembley Stadium, which is the closest to the stadium and has the fastest trains back to Central London, plus trains out to Buckinghamshire and Birmingham.  A bit further out you've got Wembley Central, which is in on the high street a mile or so from the stadium which has the Bakerloo Line and overground trains or Alperton and as @tomav84 mentioned, Sudbury Town on the Piccadilly Line which are the best part of two miles away, definitely a half hour walk (minimum) but will be far far far quieter than the madness surrounding the station. 

The City is a looooooong way from Wembley. Probably more than ten miles and it will take you the best part of an hour on a good day.  

If your getting the tube its not too bad at all tbh. But if your driving or doing a bus then yes i agree

Where's the best place for an air bnb / proper bnb if I was travelling with 5 adults and 3 kids for a couple of days?

I always get drawn to Camden but this will be with 1st timers so proper tourist stuff (which to fair I'm excited by because I haven't done that in something like 27 years)

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Where's the best place for an air bnb / proper bnb if I was travelling with 5 adults and 3 kids for a couple of days?

I always get drawn to Camden but this will be with 1st timers so proper tourist stuff (which to fair I'm excited by because I haven't done that in something like 27 years)

Bit hard to say as depends what area you want to go to?

I wouldnt bother staying in central or city if its more than a few days as it would cost you a fortune.

My opinion would be stay on out skirts and just get tube save you alot of money

• Like 1

Here's one for you dem -

Is there a good chip shop in Central London? And I don't mean a sit down meal for £15 where the chips come in a metal cup I mean a proper traditional chip shop like you'd find everywhere else in the country

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Here's one for you dem -

Is there a good chip shop in Central London? And I don't mean a sit down meal for £15 where the chips come in a metal cup I mean a proper traditional chip shop like you'd find everywhere else in the country

Ill be honest with you mate i dont eat central as i think its a **** rip off

Compared to where i live just add a extra £3- £5 pp for things like that down central  just love ripping off visitors.

What area are you staying at?

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill be honest with you mate i dont eat central as i think its a **** rip off

Compared to where i live just add a extra £3- £5 pp for things like that down central  just love ripping off visitors.

What area are you staying at?

I'll lean towards Camden again but probably end up on the edge of there in somewhere like mornington crescent

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2023 at 20:59, villa4europe said:

Here's one for you dem -

https://poppiesfishandchips.co.uk/

Multiple locations - very much caters to the tourist crowd but it's still pretty decent. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i looked at that one before, got one in camden... fish and chips £25.95....**** london!!

To their credit, they do gravy. Something you don’t see much darn sarf. But £3.50! Strewth.

On 11/07/2023 at 16:13, villa4europe said:

i looked at that one before, got one in camden... fish and chips £25.95....**** london!!

Anywhere central or city is a complete and utter rip off 

Those prices are a absolute joke id never step foot there. I rarely eat in camden because its expensive. Drinkup only

Mate ill be honest with you if you want cod and chips go Southend or brighton. Londons not the place for it. With a massive variety of different places id opt for them than the above

Edited by Demitri_C

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Mate ill be honest with you if you want cod and chips go Southend or brighton. Londons not the place for it. With a massive variety of different places id opt for them than the above

There’s some really good cod & chips in London but they’re not cheap. This one, for example, has a Michelin Rosette. Cod and chips for under £20, can’t beat it. 
https://www.mayfairchippy.com/menus

Edited by choffer
Forgot to add link.

Â