Noob’s guide to visiting London

Genie

Right, I mentioned this a while back and never did anything about it yet (I’m an idiot).

I still want to go to London to mark my wife’s 40th at the end of Jan. 

I think we’ll take the children too as it’ll be quite an experience for them too.

In terms of getting there, what’s the best option? I assume it’s a train (which I’m not generally a fan of but I guess it’s unavoidable). If I go train can I guarantee a seat? Also, can I go directly from Tamworth? Is driving in a complete non-starter?

From here, any recommendations on hotels that are safe, clean and near to the usual touristy things (Westminster, London Eye, Tower of London, maybe a show etc).

Cheers 👍

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I tried another site and got some prices so possibly a glitch.

regarding driving, it's what i tend to do coming from bournemouth. there are plenty of train stations on the outskirts where you can park for the day for not ridiculous money and get the train in. i guess somewhere like wembley might be worth a look at or somewhere around heathrow where you can get the elizabeth line in?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

regarding driving, it's what i tend to do coming from bournemouth. there are plenty of train stations on the outskirts where you can park for the day for not ridiculous money and get the train in. i guess somewhere like wembley might be worth a look at or somewhere around heathrow where you can get the elizabeth line in?

It looks like I can go direct from Tamworth to Euston so that sounds ok. I assume I can then get on the tube at Euston and move around London easily? 

This is basically reinforcing my dislike for using trains.

Trainline seems to have no trains available TAM to London or some trains for the outbound leg but nothing coming back.

I also strongly suspect they’ll **** me over nearer the time too with a strike, or maintenance or leaves on the line.

So maybe, driving in to Wembley Park is the way to go.

Edited by Genie

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is basically reinforcing my dislike for using trains.

Trainline seems to have no trains available TAM to London or some trains for the outbound leg but nothing coming back.

I also strongly suspect they’ll **** me over nearer the time too with a strike, or maintenance or leaves on the line.

So maybe, driving in to Wembley Park is the way to go.

yeah with all the strikes etc i'd probably just drive. or look at national express

research your parking in advance. wembley park might be expensive. when we went for the playoffs we parked in a smaller station called sudbury town and parking was much more reasonable if i remember correctly

How late do you want to stay on the day you're visiting @Genie

In early to late evening they put on express services that can get you back to Tamworth from Euston in around an hour. Fares can be reasonable aswell if you book them a month in advance.

Mind you that's during the week so I presume if kids are coming you're looking more at weekend?

Monday 30th Jan has for example a 7pm train that gets into Tamworth just after 8pm and it's 23 quid single.

Generally with return tickets it's best to split at Milton Keynes and it will probably come to 40 quid return each or thereabouts so not much in it.

Edit; There are actually 10 quid single tickets after 8pm so that will probably suit you more.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Trainline can do one.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search - It should allow you to book seats.

What you do and where to stay depends on what everyone thinks is a good time?

The museums, the Westfields, Highgate Cemetery, a concert, London Zoo, Hamleys?

How mobile are the kids? Are you going to need pushchairs and enough kit to get to the South Pole, or you good to jump on escalators and busy buses?

Would you all enjoy the same shows, is it about the wife, or would she want to do something for the kids? 

She and me have found January to be good for hotel deals out of town in previous years, I'd be optimistic of getting getting a decent deal somewhere?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Xann said:

Trainline can do one.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search - It should allow you to book seats.

What you do and where to stay depends on what everyone thinks is a good time?

The museums, the Westfields, Highgate Cemetery, a concert, London Zoo, Hamleys?

How mobile are the kids? Are you going to need pushchairs and enough kit to get to the South Pole, or you good to jump on escalators and busy buses?

Would you all enjoy the same shows, is it about the wife, or would she want to do something for the kids? 

She and me have found January to be good for hotel deals out of town in previous years, I'd be optimistic of getting getting a decent deal somewhere?

It doesn’t seem to want to let me book a train back on Sunday 29th Jan for some reason. Can they al be full already?

The children are 10 & 12 so we should be able to travel pretty light. I’m hoping just 1 of those cases that you can take onto a plane, 2 max. 

The plan would be for day 1 do some site seeing. The children haven’t seen places like Downing Street, HoP, Buckingham Palace etc in the flesh before. The do an activity early evening, possibly a show. I’ve not looked yet, ideally Lion King would suit all.

Then on the Sunday something like a afternoon tea on the Thames or maybe trip op the Shard, or Natural History Museum then home 4/5pm sort of time.

For the areas you want to stay i would definitely avoid driving and rely on the tube as driving around there you be stuck in traffic find no parking and pay congestion charge. Easy just to get the tube.

Staying in central is very expensive. It depends what your budget is hotel wise

My advice would be stay on the outskirts of london and just get tube every day will save you a lot of money

Edited by Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For the areas you want to stay i would definitely avoid driving and rely on the tube as driving around there you be stuck in traffic find no parking and pay congestion charge. Easy just to get the tube.

Staying in central is very expensive. It depends what your budget is hotel wise

My advice would be stay on the outskirts of london and just get tube every day will save you a lot of money

Cheers, by driving I mean driving go somewhere I can pick up a tube line, not inside the centre.

Can you suggest any areas for a hotel a short tube ride away that are not scary for little ones?

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

It doesn’t seem to want to let me book a train back on Sunday 29th Jan for some reason. Can they al be full already?

Perhaps, if there's something going on? Maybe a potential strike or protest? It could also be a technical problem with the online sales? Recently I've been buying tix at the stations because of radically different results from Trainline, Network Rail and the train operator sites.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The children are 10 & 12 so we should be able to travel pretty light. I’m hoping just 1 of those cases that you can take onto a plane, 2 max. 

The plan would be for day 1 do some site seeing. The children haven’t seen places like Downing Street, HoP, Buckingham Palace etc in the flesh before. The do an activity early evening, possibly a show. I’ve not looked yet, ideally Lion King would suit all.

Cool. Weekend travel cards should serve you well. They're good on Tube, bus and trains. They got you money off the river buses last time I looked too.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Then on the Sunday something like a afternoon tea on the Thames or maybe trip op the Shard, or Natural History Museum then home 4/5pm sort of time.

If you're considering the Shard, there's also Sky Garden.

th-1173451426.jpg.77f451fe26891ee632031eda97dac8c1.jpg

As for location of your stay? I've had friends Air B&B in Kensington and stay in The Hoxton recently. Both worked ok.

Dem is quite right saying cheaper deals are available further out, but if it's for one or two nights, it's maybe not quite as painful to stay central?

Have a butchers at what you can get? If there's something that catches your eye, run the location by us and we'll weigh up the pros and cons?

https://www.thelionking.co.uk/london/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Cheers, by driving I mean driving go somewhere I can pick up a tube line, not inside the centre.

Can you suggest any areas for a hotel a short tube ride away that are not scary for little ones?

You may be better off staying close to kings cross as there are so many different tube lines from there that go everywhere. Islington is nice play to stay as well

Ive stayed here before (see below) was less than a mile from kings cross station. Does get busy during rush hours but afterwards usually your good

Click

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You may be better off staying close to kings cross as there are so many different tube lines from there that go everywhere. Islington is nice play to stay as well

Ive stayed here before (see below) was less than a mile from kings cross station. Does get busy during rush hours but afterwards usually your good

Click

Cheers Dem, that hotel looks lovely, and £200 for a room that sleeps 4 for 1 night isn’t too bad given the great location. 

I’d happily book that. 

Now to focus on getting to London. I’m happy to drive down and leave my car for 36 hours at a tube station, just need to find the best one…

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

If you drive then drive to somewhere like Ruislip and leave the car, I've done that weird thing where you leave your car on someone's drive for the weekend but I can't remember the name of the site

Seems so obvious but get oyster cards

My favourite part of london is Camden, its hardly a secret or new but I still think there's a coolness about it, better than Shoreditch

Borough Market is also good for food, the black friar is my favourite pub but neither of those are in the middle of things

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If you drive then drive to somewhere like Ruislip and leave the car, I've done that weird thing where you leave your car on someone's drive for the weekend but I can't remember the name of the site

Seems so obvious but get oyster cards

My favourite part of london is Camden, its hardly a secret or new but I still think there's a coolness about it, better than Shoreditch

Borough Market is also good for food, the black friar is my favourite pub but neither of those are in the middle of things

Cheers mate.

I found a parking space near Wembley Park for only £13.80 but the ASDA over the road is bookable for £25. I might do that as it’ll be convenient if we need to buy something or fill up the car.

I think I have the bones of a plan here. 

Drive down, park near Wembley Park at ASDA. Buy food or whatnot if required. Walk to the station, catch the tube into Euston. Walk across to the hotel (Premier Inn family room, £147). Drop of the bag and then the day is our own.

So many options.

Saturday day I think some general wandering around taking in the sites of Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, HoP, London Eye etc. Find somewhere cool to eat (possibly Borough Market).

I think in the evening I need to bite the bullet and buy tickets for the Lion King. Cheapest are £71 each but it’s something she’s always wanted to see. Plus kids will love it too. Maybe I can talk her mum and/or sister into buying her ticket as a b’day present. 

Sunday, probably bit more wandering around and then Natural History Museum before heading home. 

Thanks for the reminder about Oyster cards, I need to see what that’s all about!

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Cheers Dem, that hotel looks lovely, and £200 for a room that sleeps 4 for 1 night isn’t too bad given the great location. 

I’d happily book that. 

Now to focus on getting to London. I’m happy to drive down and leave my car for 36 hours at a tube station, just need to find the best one…

If you dont mind getting tube 20 minutes from kings cross id recommend oakwood. There is plenty of parking within a 10 minute walk from the tube.  Its north london and more residential 

Â