Noob’s guide to visiting London

Genie

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If you drive then drive to somewhere like Ruislip and leave the car, I've done that weird thing where you leave your car on someone's drive for the weekend but I can't remember the name of the site

Seems so obvious but get oyster cards

My favourite part of london is Camden, its hardly a secret or new but I still think there's a coolness about it, better than Shoreditch

Borough Market is also good for food, the black friar is my favourite pub but neither of those are in the middle of things

Ruislip is really far from kings cross if thats where genie is staying.

Not a fan of camden bit to grudgy for me. I much prefer shoreditch! Alot more quirkier bars. Im actually going there new years funny enough.

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If you dont mind getting tube 20 minutes from kings cross id recommend oakwood. There is plenty of parking within a 10 minute walk from the tube.  Its north london and more residential 

Cheers, it looks a bit further to drive to on the way down. What does it have over Wembley Park?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Ruislip is really far from kings cross if thats where genie is staying.

Not a fan of camden bit to grudgy for me. I much prefer shoreditch! Alot more quirkier bars. Im actually going there new years funny enough.

I can’t see myself getting much drinking time in with the family so the standard of local pubs is sadly not much of a consideration.

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

Cheers, it looks a bit further to drive to on the way down. What does it have over Wembley Park?

There is alot of residential roads you can park for free there and its on picadilly line which is same line as kings cross so you wont need to change. Only takes around 20-25 mins to get to kings cross from oakwood by tube

Cant comment about Wembley park as i rarely go there so i wouldnt know what parkings like there.

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t see myself getting much drinking time in with the family so the standard of local pubs is sadly not much of a consideration.

Yeah if you wernt with the kids would have suggested to go out for a little drink. If you need any further advice let me know

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

Thats why I think I prefer Camden over Shoreditch, not so much for the food and drink but the atmosphere and Market makes it a decent place to spend an afternoon

Being in to vinyl records helps even if I think the market doesn't have as many as it once did

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Yeah tap your card in and out. It caps you at the daily limit too (not sure what the limit is, probably about £10-12).

As simple as that, tap my debit card at Euston and tap it to get out at Moorgate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

@Xann @bickster as I know you visit there a lot @Demitri_C 

I am 2 days in London from tomorrow for work, I will be using the tube, can I just tap my phone or card, no prior sign up, no additional apps, basically tap my method of payment on the way in, and the same method on the way out, and that's it? 

If you have an iPhone, you can also set up Apple pay to do it by tapping your phone without having to open the wallet. Not sure if Android offers the same

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not sure if Android offers the same

It does, and it works.
So nice as a tourist not having to faff about with a oyster-card, or even worse, try using those single ticket cash-machines

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought you hated it down here 😂

WHy would I hate London, it has record shops

Though my missus has sussed me out a little with my suggestions for things to do.

Last nights conversation at home: "I'd like to go to Borough Market"

"OK, we'll do that, you might want to have a look at the old Spitalfields Market, that isn't too far away either"

"what record shop is that by"

BUSTED

• Haha 2

Sadly record shops and gigs are off for me, I get down there, working on a client site, then it will be drinks with colleagues before cutting the following day short and on the train home for 2pm. Unless anyone knows of a good second hand record shop that sells country music near shoreditch, my chances of record buying are slim.

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Sadly record shops and gigs are off for me, I get down there, working on a client site, then it will be drinks with colleagues before cutting the following day short and on the train home for 2pm. Unless anyone knows of a good second hand record shop that sells country music near shoreditch, my chances of record buying are slim.

Flashback Records in Shoreditch, never been but having had a quick look it may be on my list for the weekend. Just have to convince the missus she really does need to go to Spitalfields :D 

They have a "Bargain basement" so I'm sure there'll be plenty of odes to a dead horse in there :mrgreen: 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Flashback Records in Shoreditch, never been but having had a quick look it may be on my list for the weekend. Just have to convince the missus she really does need to go to Spitalfields :D 

They have a "Bargain basement" so I'm sure there'll be plenty of odes to a dead horse in there :mrgreen: 

Doesnt hmv sell records? I know a lot of them have closed down but still a few lurking about

Â