VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Know relatively little about jazz

Same here, it's definitely I know what I like and what I don't genre but I have built up a reasonable collection now

I've just put this on in his honour. Thats the only record of his I have but it should also be said that he plays Sax on the fantastic Bitches Brew too (which I also have)

Ni0zMDEzLmpwZWc.jpeg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

Thats sad, I actually have a couple of records he's on :(

I have many. Miles Davis, Weather Report, Joni Mitchell, etc., etc. 

Big loss. 

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Same here, it's definitely I know what I like and what I don't genre but I have built up a reasonable collection now

I've just put this on in his honour. Thats the only record of his I have but it should also be said that he plays Sax on the fantastic Bitches Brew too (which I also have)

Ni0zMDEzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Was just going to post about Bitches Brew. Definitely in my Desert Island Disc collection. Shorter was perfect on that album.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I have many. Miles Davis, Weather Report, Joni Mitchell, etc., etc. 

Big loss. 

Don't forget his work with Art Blakey before he joined Miles.   He had some seriously swinging hard bop compositions like this one.  I don't like everything he did, but there's a lot that I like a lot- particularly his compositions more than his playing- but even with the stuff I don't so much enjoy listening to I can appreciate his creativity and talent.   This is really a bummer.

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Don't forget his work with Art Blakey before he joined Miles.   He had some seriously swinging hard bop compositions like this one.  I don't like everything he did, but there's a lot that I like a lot- particularly his compositions more than his playing- but even with the stuff I don't so much enjoy listening to I can appreciate his creativity and talent.   This is really a bummer.

Yeah, I didn't mention Art Blakey, because I assumed most VTers wouldn't have heard of him, and I'd get accused of wilful obscurantism. Or get that Fast Show 'Jazz Club - niiiice!' meme. 

Also played on the brilliant Steely Dan LP "AJA" . Apparently they had to personally persuade him to play the solo on that 'cos "he doesn't do dates". Walter Becker also wondered if Shorter might consider the gig "inappropriate" and then probably found out who else was playing on that number; Steve Gadd etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, veloman said:

Also played on the brilliant Steely Dan LP "AJA" . Apparently they had to personally persuade him to play the solo on that 'cos "he doesn't do dates". Walter Becker also wondered if Shorter might consider the gig "inappropriate" and then probably found out who else was playing on that number; Steve Gadd etc.

It's a credit to Joni Mitchell's jazz credentials that Shorter became one of her regular collaborators. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Tom Sizemore now confirmed. Just 61 😪

Real shame. Loved him in one of my favourite films, Heat.  Was good also in Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down.

I still remember him in his small role in Passenger 57 as Sly Delvecchio.

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Real shame. Loved him in one of my favourite films, Heat.  Was good also in Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down.

I still remember him in his small role in Passenger 57 as Sly Delvecchio.

Agree he was terrific in Heat  Cracking actor

Edited by theboyangel

Multi-instrumentalist David Lindley, 78. One of my all-time favourite musicians. Jackson Browne's right hand man in his glory years, and equally a maestro on fiddle, guitar and (as here) lap steel. Huge loss for me, this one. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Multi-instrumentalist David Lindley, 78. One of my all-time favourite musicians. Jackson Browne's right hand man in his glory years, and equally a maestro on fiddle, guitar and (as here) lap steel. Huge loss for me, this one. 

Indeed, it’s his fiddle on this. He is a name that I see on a few albums that I own  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Tom Sizemore now confirmed. Just 61 😪

"Well, you know, for me, the action is the juice."

A bad boy in and out of the movies. RIP

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

A major talent. Big loss. 

On 03/03/2023 at 03:56, mjmooney said:

Yeah, I didn't mention Art Blakey, because I assumed most VTers wouldn't have heard of him, and I'd get accused of wilful obscurantism. Or get that Fast Show 'Jazz Club - niiiice!' meme. 

The Jazz Messengers are the hard bop champions. Love their live stuff from the JCotW.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

Bit belated, but Tom Sizemore is one of those where I know the name but I don’t know the face. Normally with actors I know their face but not their name.

Looking at his filmography, I’ve seen a number of them and his face rings a faint bell. But I guess his private life might be the reason why his name is more familiar to me than his face.