World Cup: Matches

Genie

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

I agree neither have massively impressed but I’m not sure there is one stand out team in the tournament. 

I’m still waiting for teams to step up and impress, hope it happens before the France-Brazil final. Also hope that final turns out better than a UCL group game between Marseille-Shaktar.

47 minutes ago, WHY said:

Probably right but if I thought like you I wouldn’t bother watching football. 

It wasn’t a comment on England. We can only meet them in the final. Argentina won’t make it that far

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It wasn’t a comment on England. We can only meet them in the final. Argentina won’t make it that far

Argentina can make it in the final!
Only have to beat Holland and Brazil to get there.

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I agree neither have massively impressed but I’m not sure there is one stand out team in the tournament. 

Its a poor tournament overall quality wise. Not one team got maximum points in the group in pretty weak groups

It will come down to who has the best manager its that tight

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

I think Holland will test them. They’ve played teams so far who haven’t been able to get at their defence . Aside from the freak first game - Mexico were poor and Poland have a world class striker that they can’t create a chance for. Tactically, thought the Dutch played a blinder against the USA. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

They can. But I don’t think they will. They haven’t looked impressive at any point this tournament 

22 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

What's are folks predictions for today's games?

I reckon - France 2-0 Poland and Senegal 0-1 England (and being utterly uninspiring)

I can see France and England winning pretty comfortably. I think England are better than we have given them credit for. France 3-1, England 2-0.

• Like 1

Both teams have a wobble which raises questions about them, Poland to be really drab but France not put them to the sword early on, Senegal to be good but not have the quality to push it over the line, England to be Southgate's England

France 2-0 Poland

England 2-1 Senegal after extra time

6 hours ago, TomC said:

Regular xG should not apply to Messi.

People make too much out of xG. It’s useful in part, but it doesn’t really show that much. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Messi had a decent game yesterday but the way the BBC were going on about it was a bit nauseating really. It was like he had invented a new sport the way they were behaving.

They did the same with Mbappe in the first game.

Squawking on constantly about anything he did. Saying he's the best player in the world etc.

• Like 1

Recent games seem to illustrate that physical prowess and good organisation can either overcome technical superiority, or at least come very close.

Brazil, Spain and Argentina were hugely technically superior but both found themselves either losing or surviving by the narrowest of margins.

With such narrow margins, goalkeepers proved the difference in many games, and England were flattered by Wales losing their first choice goalie.

Two deflected goals against Argentina might have ended their tournament.

So far, this World Cup has not been a great advert for Tiki-taka.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Recent games seem to illustrate that physical prowess and good organisation can either overcome technical superiority, or at least come very close.

Brazil, Spain and Argentina were hugely technically superior but both found themselves either losing or surviving by the narrowest of margins.

With such narrow margins, goalkeepers proved the difference in many games, and England were flattered by Wales losing their first choice goalie.

Two deflected goals against Argentina might have ended their tournament.

So far, this World Cup has not been a great advert for Tiki-taka.

The terrible pitches probably doesn't help. They are starting to look like the center court at Wimbledon on final Sunday. It's almost as if pitches in the middle of the desert are not suited to such a heavy schedule.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Messi had a decent game yesterday but the way the BBC were going on about it was a bit nauseating really. It was like he had invented a new sport the way they were behaving.

Commentators need to find a better balance. It's fine for them to remind everyone that he is or was the best player in the world a few times, or when he does something particularly special, and it's okay for them to share their personal pleasure at watching him live once or twice, but they really talked about almost nothing else yesterday and it ends up detracting from the viewing experience. Danny Murphy in particular is being paid to analyse the game as it's happening, not to endlessly eulogise about his favourite player. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Commentators need to find a better balance. It's fine for them to remind everyone that he is or was the best player in the world a few times, or when he does something particularly special, and it's okay for them to share their personal pleasure at watching him live once or twice, but they really talked about almost nothing else yesterday and it ends up detracting from the viewing experience. Danny Murphy in particular is being paid to analyse the game as it's happening, not to endlessly eulogise about his favourite player. 

It has to be said that most of the tournament has been pretty dour and turgid stuff, and I think the ten minutes of 35-year-old Messi was a reminder of what he could do for long periods in the game, when he was younger.

I have asked myself several times during the tournament, why I was watching this crap, and so I don't blame commentators from trying to promote their product.

Messi has scored a couple of crucial goals in situations where we don't expect lesser players to score, by threading the ball through a forest of legs, and his weight of pass for his assists is also worth remarking on.

From experience, I have concluded that my irritation at co-commentators is proportional to my emotional investment in the outcome, and most of the time my irritation arises from what they don't say, rather than what they do.