World Cup: Matches

Genie

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

In THAT picture it is possibly debatable that the ball is over the line (although I would say not)

Once corrected for parallax error, the ball will only get closer to the line.

The whole ball is not over the line.

The problem is not helped by pundits and retired referees that do not understand the principles of physics making out they’re experts and giving out false information on television.

• Like 2

One thing I will say about VAR overturning the ref's decision for that goal is that I'm not sure they should have.

Ultimately, I do believe they got to the correct outcome, but I feel in that specific scenario, they should have just stuck with the ref's decision.

It's like if the ref gets a call wrong where a corner is given instead of a goal kick, and the team that incorrectly gets rewarded a corner go and score from it. Shouldn't VAR also look at that too? Cos I don't believe they do right now. 

50 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

People struggling with this must also be baffled why the ball is never on the line for a corner...

Villa4E, purely going by your location on you ID block, do you support Germany or are enjoying all the hysteria? I am sure by now Germany technology companies must be well on the way to delivering an a new technology that means this never happens again. Alternatively we could just look to ice-hockey for the solution. 😃

18 minutes ago, Thug said:

In THAT picture it is possibly debatable that the ball is over the line (although I would say not)

Once corrected for parallax error, the ball will only get closer to the line.

The whole ball is not over the line.

The problem is not helped by pundits and retired referees that do not understand the principles of physics making out they’re experts and giving out false information on television.

But thats the thing the "experts" who some know their stuff are saying same thing so its not as simple as some on here are making out

Like zatman said if its so obvious why didnt fifa release the images? It stinks

10 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Villa4E, purely going by your location on you ID block, do you support Germany or are enjoying all the hysteria? I am sure by now Germany technology companies must be well on the way to delivering an a new technology that means this never happens again. Alternatively we could just look to ice-hockey for the solution. 😃

Not seen the father in law and he's gone very quiet, I'm currently in the UK so missing out on it all but I don't think it's as shocking to them as it is to us (or maybe it's just sky looking for the big story and exaggerating it) they're not a good team, most of the papers were not optimistic pre WC and hammered them after the Oman game

The Japan game was the first time since I've been here that the father in law has spent hours moaning about bayerns influence over the team, he didn't want muller playing and was furious neuer didn't save the second goal using his face 😂 like proper raging over it

They're struggling for an identity, the older players might want to stick around for their euros, there are youngsters coming through but not a crop, I personally don't think they've got a proper international level striker despite 2 high potential kids (moukoko will make a very bad career decision next summer) they need to sort the fullbacks and defence out, got a couple of decent left backs but don't think there's a RB, they could have a tough time in 2024 too... Which of course means they'll win it

Edit -  and I'm not sure how easy it is to extend hawkeye for a system that includes the entire pitch, have to imagine it will come in the next 10 years

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1