World Cup: Matches

Genie

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Literally millimeters in it.  Japan deserved to go through IMO, they beat Germany and Spain.

Yeah that's the thing

England fans will always harp back to the lampard goal that wasn't given and say we were robbed but in reality we were really poor in that game and deserved nothing, we played Germany because we were 2nd in the group and were booed off

Germany are out because they were poor and lost to Japan, they're not a good team, its not that decision that has knocked them out, it's the japan game that's knocked them out

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah that's the thing

England fans will always harp back to the lampard goal that wasn't given and say we were robbed but in reality we were really poor in that game and deserved nothing, we played Germany because we were 2nd in the group and were booed off

Germany are out because they were poor and lost to Japan, they're not a good team, its not that decision that has knocked them out, it's the japan game that's knocked them out

But……the decision did knock them. Were Germany absolutely hapless in this World Cup ? Absolutely. Should Japan’s second goal of stood ? No. The ball was over the line and no angle or replay since has suggested otherwise. It’s perfectly acceptable to admit that Germany were crap and also that Japan’s second goal shouldn’t of stood. Both things aren’t mutually exclusive. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure how that hasnt crossed the line on this image ?

Screenshot_20221202-093422_WhatsApp.jpg

Recreate that angle with a line and a tennis ball then move around so that you're staring down the line. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Recreate that angle with a line and a tennis ball then move around so that you're staring down the line. 

Ah here lad, if your getting into that sort of nonsense we may pack up and go home. The ball was over the line. 

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Ah here lad, if your getting into that sort of nonsense we may pack up and go home. The ball was over the line. 

If you're getting in to such nonsense as demonstrating how physics works?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If you're getting in to such nonsense as demonstrating how physics works?

You can clearly, I mean clearly see daylight ( a gap ) between the ball and the outer line ? “ Recreate the angle with a line and tennis ball “ Are we listening to ourselves here ? Seriously ?? What the actual ****. 

Edited by Johnnyp

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

You can clearly, I mean clearly see daylight ( a gap ) between the ball and the outer line ? “ Recreate the angle with a line and tennis ball “ Are we listening to ourselves here ? Seriously ?? What the actual ****. 

Are you denying that perspective can lead to misleading interpretations? Optical illusions are a thing.

It's in, and there's a very simple experiment you can do to demonstrate it.

If you'd rather stick to your gut instinct than try to educate yourself, I'll leave you to it.

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The amount of people who don't understand how perspective works is too damn high

The thick as shit football pundits spreading their ignorance to set people's initial impression probably doesn't help

Even more shocking is that there are people who think the ball has to be touching the line, so they see a gap with grass in it on the underside of the ball and decide that it's gone out.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Are you denying that perspective can lead to misleading interpretations? Optical illusions are a thing.

It's in, and there's a very simple experiment you can do to demonstrate it.

If you'd rather stick to your gut instinct than try to educate yourself, I'll leave you to it.

I just don’t understand why are you trying to make something that appears so easy and that most people can see - utterly confusing. Maybe you don’t like Germany, i don’t know - I’ve no skin in the game , makes no odds to me whether they are out or not. The ball is over the line though. May i ask ( in your infinite wisdom of the laws of physics that a layman like myself couldn’t even begin to comprehend ) why some 15 hours or so since full time have we not been presented with images or angles to show how VAR arrived at their decision. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

I just don’t understand why are you trying to make something that appears so easy and that most people can see - utterly confusing. Maybe you don’t like Germany, i don’t know - I’ve no skin in the game , makes no odds to me whether they are out or not. The ball is over the line though. May i ask ( in your infinite wisdom of the laws of physics that a layman like myself couldn’t even begin to comprehend ) why some 15 hours or so since full time have we not been presented with images or angles to show how VAR arrived at their decision. 

The best angle we have is above the ball. The photo is here again:

5804.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

What evidence do you have that it crossed the line?

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

It is overhanging the line, that is all that is needed.

• Like 1

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Even more shocking is that there are people who think the ball has to be touching the line, so they see a gap with grass in it on the underside of the ball and decide that it's gone out.

So it doesn’t have to be touching part of the line to be considered out ? Here lads, why don’t we let the ball bounce off the advertising hoardings too and come back into play. Jesus wept. !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

The best angle we have is above the ball. The photo is on this page.

What evidence do you have that it crossed the line?

image.jpeg.654b6ee0f1ffbae19812d23f8acce347.jpegThis is the one that seems to be bandied around most. Can you upload the one you are talking about so i can have a look - i can’t find it . Cheers. 

Just now, Johnnyp said:

So it doesn’t have to be touching part of the line to be considered out ? Here lads, why don’t we let the ball bounce off the advertising hoardings too and come back into play. Jesus wept. !

The bottom of the ball does not have to be touching the line to be in, no, if that's what you mean.

• Like 2

Just now, PieFacE said:

This is nothing new. It's the exact same rules that goal line tech uses. I have no idea why it's even a debate. Surely by now we all know that the entire ball needs to cross the line, right? 

You would think so but apparently not

Just now, PieFacE said:

This is nothing new. It's the exact same rules that goal line tech uses. I have no idea why it's even a debate. Surely by now we all know that the entire ball needs to cross the line, right? 

There are people who are paid to talk about the sport on TV who don't seem to understand this, so I'll give the odd fan not knowing a break. It's tragic really, paid handsomely to spread misinformation and conspiracies

• Like 2