• McGinn (Bailey 70)
    • Kamara (Watkins 78)
    • Young (Digne 79)
    • Ings (Buendía 79)
    • Sanson (Dendoncker 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/22 at 23:59

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

McGinn? I don't know. Nice Cameo from Sanson. Young did OK. Kamara ... really pleased to see him back, he did what he had to do. Ings, not bad; but not stellar either. Young OK. 

We got another Young now? Is the window open? ;)

• Haha 1

Just watched the game back. Great win! Wish I had been there after sitting through so many horror shows against this lot at VP. A couple of quick additional observations:

- The Lisandro Martinez elbows were ridiculous. He looks at Bailey, draws his arm back, bends his elbow, then smashes him in the stomach with the point of the elbow three times in five seconds. Each one is a clear red card offense. Was the VAR offical on a piss break when that happened?

- The Man U centre backs were much better on the ball than Mings and Konsa and it restricts our ability to play out from the back. Thankfully Emery has spotted this and set us up accordingly with Martinez starting our attacks rather than the defenders. It wouldn't surprise me if we have a new cente back partnership by the start of next season (Diego Carlos + AN Other [Pau Torres?])

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wonderful wasn't it?

On Friday I went to the U21's at Bodymoor and found myself sat next to a young American chap with one of those modern/old fashioned names that my brain is incapable of retaining. He'd come all the way over from Kansas city, apparently alone, to spend a week following the Villa. That day he'd walked from the Jewellery quarter to Villa Park, dropped into the Barton Arms and done a stadium tour. He got an Uber to Bodymoor and back and had no idea it would be so far away - his knowledge was right up there, he's supported Villa from afar for years and he was more excited than anyone at an U21 game has any right to be.

Yesterday was the first Villa game he's ever been to and possibly the only game he'll ever attend at Villa Park.

Imagine that. Perfect isn't it?

It was magical - when David Bradley whispers "We are Aston Villa" and we break into that first shout on Hi-Ho silver lining, I couldn't help but imagine how he felt, it puts a lump in my throat, so not knowing it was happening and never having experienced an English ground, it must have been like a different world - and then to open the game like we did, in that atmosphere, must have seemed like a dream. I'll confess that it did to me.

I mention it because on the way out, I couldn't help but think that he'd deserved the win for the effort he'd put in, but then so did I for having endured twenty five years of defeats and improbable United comebacks, and then, so did you most likely, so did any number of Villa fans, for any number of reasons, - we all did - and not least the players.

They were brilliant, collectively and individually - I thought Bailey was electric at the start and we seem to start games at a pace that others can't match - Bailey, Watkins, Buendia and Ramsey are a fury of pace and industry attacking the Holte End. An organised 4-2-2-2 meant we seemed to be able to outnumber and nullify the Trafford lot all over the park - we made and exploited space, we were patient, we were dangerous, we used the ball and we ran. It was a superb performance.

And it was one orchestrated in the most impressive of fashions by our new man. Unai had them motivated, organised and perfectly in their shape, he motivated, controlled and cajoled from the sideline and completely outthought Ten Hag. He picked the right side and he made the right substitutions at the right times. He knows what he's doing.

And he won more than the game, he won the crowd, he won Villa Park and perhaps most importantly of all, he won the ears of all these players - do you reckon they'll be listening in training this week? He's got them organised and told them they could win - and they did. If you want to make sure they know you're in charge and you know what you're doing, I don't think there's any better way than this.

Anthony Taylor refereed it like a man becoming increasingly worried that we might win, making more and more bad decisions as the game went on, no action against Martinez for elbowing Bailey, managing to get in the way of a really good counter attack, giving them a free kick when Doug was pushed over form behind - he was dreadful, but that's how it is nowadays - you have to beat the team and the league to win these matches. We were more than capable of both.

This was a mile away from Steven Gerrard's football, a different team, players that looked like different men, it was a performance of heart, brains and courage, and like my nameless American friend, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore - I think we've moved to a place where magical things might happen - it's one game, just one, but it's twenty seven years, it's them, it's a performance worth getting excited about and it's a very, very good start for Unai Emery.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as you deserved, the noise was amazing - and should you find yourself at Old Trafford on Thursday next to a wide-eyed enthusiastic young American kid, say hello from me and make sure he understands how lucky he is.

what a brilliant resume.

How important that is, is immeasurable....a legendary performance and result....also big mention to the crowd, 42,000 turn up to see a match, they haven't won for 27 years.....wow.

To win folk, inc Players, over so early, inc the Hierarchy.....is paramount.

The belief, starts much quicker.

The American, picks his games, don't he?😃......what a magical initiation to Villa Park.....Its a really nice story, that ends so well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

Just watched the game back. Great win! Wish I had been there after sitting through so many horror shows against this lot at VP. A couple of quick additional observations:

- The Lisandro Martinez elbows were ridiculous. He looks at Bailey, draws his arm back, bends his elbow, then smashes him in the stomach with the point of the elbow three times in five seconds. Each one is a clear red card offense. Was the VAR offical on a piss break when that happened?

- The Man U centre backs were much better on the ball than Mings and Konsa and it restricts our ability to play out from the back. Thankfully Emery has spotted this and set us up accordingly with Martinez starting our attacks rather than the defenders. It wouldn't surprise me if we have a new cente back partnership by the start of next season (Diego Carlos + AN Other [Pau Torres?])

It has got to laughable proportions, now, with some of these decisions.....but sadly its no laughing matter.

Something needs to be done, because its happening too often..

I can accept mistakes, even incompetence, to a degree.....but it appears just plain biase.

It can't continue, unchallenged.

Andre Marriner, who is a Villa fan, needs to have a word with his cronies.

Edited by TRO

20 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

I don't agree. Mings and Konsa played very well and are fine footballers. I'd take both of them over two thirds of what will be representing England in a few weeks too (and the other third is a former loanee full back of ours!). I'm not sure who you would replace them with? Maybe Carlos for Konsa, but we already have him, so done deal.

This team needs Mings. Since he arrived on loan I've known it and I've never deviated. He's not perfect, but he brings that intangible something that makes us a better team. I'm not ashamed to say that I love the guy and hope that he's now a Villan for life and takes his rightful place in our ever growing version of Kumbaya...preferably not by dying though. UTV.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SimplyTheBez said:

This team needs Mings. Since he arrived on loan I've known it and I've never deviated. He's not perfect, but he brings that intangible something that makes us a better team. I'm not ashamed to say that I love the guy and hope that he's now a Villan for life

👍 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The Indian Man U fan is my favourite by far 😂. Seems he is gutted Emery came in. Lol " Why Emery had to come to Aston Villa man.... I hate Emery... " Lol

It confuses the hell out of me that people actually tune in to watch these morons. Watching a live stream of someone watching the game that you want to watch, whilst ‘reacting’ like spoilt brats to try and get as much engagement as they can. 

I just don’t get it at all 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember in 2009 when Gabby became an absolute hero when we finally beat Man U in the league again. Then Ezri last season but it wasn't at VP... Now Bailey, Digne and Ramsey are the new heroes. Well done, lads!

For so long I've dreaded the Villa v Man U date ever single season. The day of doom. How nice that I won't dread it anymore! Finally! 

22 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

It confuses the hell out of me that people actually tune in to watch these morons. Watching a live stream of someone watching the game that you want to watch, whilst ‘reacting’ like spoilt brats to try and get as much engagement as they can. 

I just don’t get it at all 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm the same, but I do enjoy it when I get pointed to the bits that are funny.  There's nothing more fun than others' misery, particularly football misery :lol: 

It's all so benign and stupid, which makes it funnier. 

• Like 1

Â