Unai Emery

PeterSw

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

What percentage of those 1400 are former man utd, Chelsea and Liverpool fans who think he was shit at Arsenal now they support them!? I'd guess its high

FTFY

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Not sure if this has already been posted, but:

I was having a look at this SkyBet "Fan Central" thing that keeps popping up on twitter. Essentially, they've polled 1400 PL fans for their thoughts on the upcoming season. One of the questions is where do they rank the other managers in the league from best the worst. According to the 1400 fans polled, Unai Emery is ranked, on average:

The 13th best manager in the league.

Seriously!? He's below the likes of Thomas Frank, Vincent Kompany, Roy Hodgson, Rob Edwards & Steve Cooper. I swear that there's a huge number of football fans that try to be controversial for the sake of it.

In fairness... he is simply building on the great work Steven Gerrard did.

We'll need to see how he gets on this season before making any grandiose proclamations.

Top 30 Troll GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Haha 1

I am particulalry taken by UE's comments on the young players, being given a chance.

He is not intimating 2 or 3 games and being judged.....he is talking 1/2 seasons.

I think he sees enough to know, that certain players, now need his touch.....and that long/medium term they will come good.

How that will impact, more incomings, I don't know.....but he does seem adamant in developing these boys.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2023 at 11:33, Powehi said:

Potential first mistake in retaining Olsen, really hope he - and we - aren't left to regret that.

He has a lot of balancing to do.....not all decisions are as clear cut as we think and for that reason he will make mistakes....Pep makes mistakes.

He will make mistakes, its inevitable.....but he will correct them, and work on them.

• Like 1

Emery definitely has got people taking us seriously. Without a summer tournament in the men's game it's given people enough time to look back on the season and see how well we did under Emery, his pedigree in Europe and all whilst we sign 3 top players and have half our squad linked to top 4 candidates. 

I think there's 7 players in our squad now that could be considered good enough for the champions league and several others that are young and hungry enough to reach that kind of level. I'd not have thought that before Emery arrived. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Emery definitely has got people taking us seriously. Without a summer tournament in the men's game it's given people enough time to look back on the season and see how well we did under Emery, his pedigree in Europe and all whilst we sign 3 top players and have half our squad linked to top 4 candidates. 

I think there's 7 players in our squad now that could be considered good enough for the champions league and several others that are young and hungry enough to reach that kind of level. I'd not have thought that before Emery arrived. 

Before Emery arrived I thought McGinn was not good enough for the PL anymore. It's very possible that everything we thought about our players during the Gerrard era was false.

• Like 1

You have to put this into context. We finished 7th. West Ham finished 6th a couple of times. Did we take Moyes seriously and gushed all over him. Nope. Didnt give a crap about them. Fans are fanatics. We have our own but others have far far more   espcially as social media opens it up to a worldwide audience . 

Emery is doing brilliantly. Alot of the media have a narrative that he is underated because of his Arsenal stint. They respect us . But the general football fanbase dont care just as we don't care about their teams. 

Where would we have finished if Unai had joined us for the beginning of last season, had we sacked SG at the end of the prior season or during preseason….. ? 🤔 

5th/6th could have been possible… hard to say really, we would have been more active in the market too… and probably won some games we drew/lost…

With more time with the players and new additions…. I can see the aim being 5th this season … especially if it results in CL qualification… I’ve read that this is something Unai is determined to achieve asap, as well as winning a trophy…

I wouldn’t be overly fussed about the ECL in that case… I’d rather finish high in the table… but I’ll take a cup win of any sort 🤣 but not in exchange for a low(er) standing in the table…

Progress… steady, stable, sustainable/consistent progress…

Â