Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our biggest games of the season and he sets us up like that. Really disappointing. 

One of the best things about the football under Emery until now has been that we've taken the game to the opponent, no matter who they are, especially at home. This new pragmatic approach does not suit us at all. We're conceding for fun at the moment, so why not at least play to our strengths and try to outscore the opponent? Very disappointing to come so far only to suddenly lose faith in the style of play that got us here. 

• Like 1

Don't think he got the game plan wrong we just got undone by a great goal with their first shot on target, then Konsa and Tielemans just pointing and passing at the worst place on the pitch to misplace a pass minutes later. 

Game gone before Emery could react and then soon as Emery does start project salvage, McGinn "Leroy Jenkins" his way straight through a player in front of the ref, 4th official and staff and we've got half an hour to go knowing we've got close to 0 chance of sorting anything. 

Players look knackered, injuries has meant no rotation all season and it's starting to show. We've played more games already than Spurs will all season and we've still got 12 to go if we can get through midweek in Europe. 

• Like 1

Doesn’t get much wrong but he did today, we were never going to score with that system. Showed them far too much respect and it backfired massively. Today’s on the Manager and Captain. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 3

Absolutely bottled it today. To concerned with Spurs and not conceding rather than try to win the game. Left us massively overrun in midfield and once we went behind it was game over because we always look bad when we start slow.

He's been brilliant since he arrived but had an absolute shocker today.

Just now, Mantis said:

I never said getting CL wasn't important? I'm simply talking about the job Emery has done this season.

Yeah i was just talking about your worse case scenario more than anything with us finishing 6th. 

Emery has done an amazing job with an injury ravaged squad and silly suspensions i just hope we have something left in the tank to get us over the line in 5th and then the coefficient works in our favour

I just don’t get it. 

Unai has repeatedly talked about playing our way and controlling the match.

And then rolls out the most pessimistic formation and structure. Its the antithesis of everything we’ve built up to for the most important match in his time here. 

Very disappointing. 

• Like 1

seems like he out-thought himself today tbh.

players didnt help at all, but going 352 and away from the tactic that has done us so well for 18 months, just seems like he thought too hard.

Also, to be brutally honest, as soon as a saw Cash on the teamsheet, and not as a full right back as part of a back 4, or at least it looked initially like he would be the right midfield ahead of konsa, i knew we would be in trouble.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

I refuse to believe Emery set up for a draw.

He didn’t the plan was to nullify the attacking threat of the Tottenham fullbacks unfortunately it didn’t go our way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, picicata said:

He had a stinker

We all have bad days at work sometimes 

I can get bad days in the office. It’s just a baffling surprise to me that these are the decisions he made. 

Edited by DJBOB

Emery made a huge mistake with the tactics today. Also it wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last time. He's still a brilliant manager and we're ridiculously lucky to have him.

• Like 1

He got it massively wrong today, horrible decision that didn’t suit any of our players but I will forgive him. We all make mistakes. Let’s not forget how far we have come in such a short space of time, oh and look at the players we are missing. He’s done an incredible job with what he’s had to work with.

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I don't see how either playing Cash in midfield (who has more legs than any other player in the squad) or having Pau push up into midfield to supplement our attack with his passing range means we're playing this naive, 'pls don't lose' way. I just don't see it. That's even before we talk about who we'd have played in midfield instead. How we were set up and how we were playing was working just fine until a freak cross and a mistake by Konsa.

Well this is it isn't it? You either think we were playing OK or you don't. I definitely don't.

We handed them control...the very thing Unai says he wants all the time.

Spurs can score but they can't defend. We should have gone at these and scored more than them.

Again though, I think it's Emery worried about our legs being gone. Not necessarily he "got it wrong". He just felt he had to play this way.

Hopefully not and we'll be back at it on Thursday.

Just now, WHY said:

He got it massively wrong today, horrible decision that didn’t suit any of our players but I will forgive him. We all make mistakes. Let’s not forget how far we have come in such a short space of time, oh and look at the players we are missing. He’s done an incredible job with what he’s had to work with.

Yeah he’s got plenty of credit and lots of runway to turn it around. 

Just hate that this is the match he picked to not believe in his players and deploy a scared system. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I can get bad days in the office. It’s just a baffling surprise to me that these are the decisions he made. 

I think he thought they were his strongest 11 players available and just fit a formation round that

Onwards to West Ham, hopefully Unai will be back on form next weekend 

• Like 1

Â