Unai Emery

PeterSw

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As good as his English is I do sometimes wonder how articulate and well spoken he must be in his mother tongue. You can just sense he must be an incredible speaker. I reckon he gets restricted having to speak in English. 

Any Spanish speaking fans on here able to shed any light on what his interviews and conferences are like in Spanish?

sea

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Neurodivergence is probably more common in elite sport than people think imo: some of the traits associated with neurodivergent conditions (like those above) feel like they can end up being very beneficial in that sort of environment. I know Gerrard and Beckham are two of the more high-profile players to have talked about having OCD, for example.

100%. You don’t get to the top of sport with a “normal” mentality - it has to be exceptional in some way. I don’t use either of those terms ‘normal/exceptional’ to mean good/bad and apologies if it comes across that way - I am agreeing with you entirely that you need a ‘different’ mental perspective. Same with people who set records like sailing round the world solo and so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Never liked him in Boyzone so I’m not about to believe his transfer tittle tattle.

I honestly don’t think Emery would be tempted to go anywhere at the moment. He’s on the up at Villa and has all the support he could want, his project is only at the start. 

I agree taking that job is similar to taking the PSG job. Do a couple of years with no real chance to build something and I expect they would see him as 3rd 4th 5th choice probably behind the likes of some like poch 😂

however what I think the gerrard to Emery move has showed me is that with the growing headache for most clubs these days of FFP having an elite manager who can make players better rather than a Jose who has to buy a team of the best players is Worth their weight in gold. More valuable than almost any player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Don't know if he's reliable or not... 

This is so tedious. Every time a big club loses a manager Emery gets linked. When will they understand that he isn't going to be leaving us in the next few years. He has said he is not going to move, has put together a structure behind the scenes with his close mates and we have invested in Real Union. He has a project here that he would be mad to leave right now.

Well why wouldn't Bayern consider him ffs? He's an amazing manager. 

That doesn't mean that he'd go because I don't think it's a very exciting project for him; he's already managed the modern-day French equivalent at PSG and I don't think he'd want to go back to being a smaller cog in a large machine with a lot less input than he has now. 

Still though, it would make sense that they'd look at him. 

• Like 2

It’s one thing to do it in summer transfer speculation madness threads, but another in the thread for our current manager.  So don’t. Please stay on topic. Thanks. The fun police

On 21/02/2024 at 07:17, wishywashy said:

In Emery's case I do think it might be a stim. Especially as it's usually way more pronounced and aggressive when he's stressed (he was practically rubbing his chin off in the interview following the Boxing Day United game), which is a key element of stimming.

As someone on the spectrum myself, I would be a bit surprised if he wasn't neurodivergent to some degree (although stimming by itself is obviously not uncommon at all among pretty much everyone). He's habitual, incredibly detail-oriented and clearly an extreme obsessive. I read in a Spanish piece a few months back that despite the day being a Spanish holiday, he once came home so late from analysing an opponent that his now ex-wife made him sleep in the car.

Neurodivergence is probably more common in elite sport than people think imo: some of the traits associated with neurodivergent conditions (like those above) feel like they can end up being very beneficial in that sort of environment. I know Gerrard and Beckham are two of the more high-profile players to have talked about having OCD, for example.

Of course, I'm not a professional, so please don't take this as fact: just my feelings on it.

I am a professional believe it or not. He is an obsessional neurotic not neurodivergent (and I would argue a lot of neurodivergent diagnosis nowadays are neuroticism rather than "true" autism for example [but thats not for this forum]). If you know who Zizek is then it will make sense that he is quite similar.

Unai forever - Bayern never.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Never heard of Kicker. 100% clickbait. He’s not leaving a club shaped around him, where he’s adored and respected for the poisoned chalice of Bayern. 

Its Germany biggest sports magazine not a tabloid, he was one of a few managers mentioned in an article

Edited by Zatman

11 hours ago, lexicon said:

Well why wouldn't Bayern consider him ffs? He's an amazing manager. 

That doesn't mean that he'd go because I don't think it's a very exciting project for him; he's already managed the modern-day French equivalent at PSG and I don't think he'd want to go back to being a smaller cog in a large machine with a lot less input than he has now. 

Still though, it would make sense that they'd look at him. 

Absolutely I totally agree - I would imagine they are not the only club president across Europe - looking enviously across the channel at B6.

Look we all know - Unai is here on a short term basis, but I feel we have him for a while yet, one more year at least, two at best.

I do believe that he has found a project that really hits home, but we can’t forget that he is an elite manager, and as such he will always attract offers from across Europe.

For me it’s a case of let’s enjoy the ride while it lasts and let’s see where we go. So far so bloody amazing 👍🏻 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Absolutely I totally agree - I would imagine they are not the only club president across Europe - looking enviously across the channel at B6.

Look we all know - Unai is here on a short term basis, but I feel we have him for a while yet, one more year at least, two at best.

I do believe that he has found a project that really hits home, but we can’t forget that he is an elite manager, and as such he will always attract offers from across Europe.

For me it’s a case of let’s enjoy the ride while it lasts and let’s see where we go. So far so bloody amazing 👍🏻 

Two more years at best? For the love of god please not. I’m getting anxiety of him leaving already 😅

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

not so sure, the link up with his and his brothers club and his son going on the books and Monchi, I think he is here for 5 years minimum 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â