Unai Emery

PeterSw

3 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It has been a bit deflated since Sheff Utd. I am sort of annoyed with the players. They played themselves into an unbelievable position. It's up to them to grasp what was in our hands. The manager cannot do everything.

Disagree here. Teams have figured out our slow build up and lack of high press. We need to evolve our system accordingly. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had a lot of shuffling to the side over the last run of games due to injury and suspension, Digne, Tielemans, Pau Torres, Kamara all missing and key cogs in our best performing teams this season.

Pau Torres is proving critical to how we play and his stepping into midfield is a loss at the moment. Diaby really needs to find some form too, they're big signings and big players for us.

I don't believe we need to change from what's worked so well for us until now, we just need to get our best players back on the pitch together and give Diaby and Ramsay the opportunity to find their feet again from the bench.

5 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I take your point but I think the Boxing Day game us key. We sort of crumbled and haven't been right since. I don't think that is to do with tactics.

It’s the other sides - certainly from what I’ve seen. We’ve been “figured out” to an extent. Thought it was really obvious late in the game when Gordon picked up the ball, looked forward, saw no-one had beaten our high line, held on a bit longer and then a pass was on. He played it immediately.

If we’re pressed in the middle when in possession, we struggle. If we’re out of possession, teams are looking to pick the high line. They’re generally sitting deeper against us than before. 

I dunno if this "figured out" matters so much. All professional teams can look at another team and see what their preferred way of playing is and look to counter it. Generally this isn't rocket science. 

I think being well drilled and confident in the system matters more. What we are suffering from now is what looks like self-doubt. We make decisions slow and a lot of players seem to look for each other to step up and not themselves. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, punkiller1981 said:

He needs to decide what the priority is which for me is the league and completely deprioritise the fa cup and the conference league because neither for me are important and we can’t compete in all of them with this squad. Players like konsa mcginn Watkins have hardly had a rest and others like Lenglet, Carlos, cash and certainly zaniolo are not close to being good enough for the premier league 

Priorities are probably decided higher up...like by NSWE themselves.

21 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Disagree here. Teams have figured out our slow build up and lack of high press. We need to evolve our system accordingly. 

I disagree, I think lots of fans (not including anyone in particular, I just want to say this) don’t get how key Kamara and Pau are to the team with how the ball gets forward from Pau and how Kamara drops in and out of the back line. 

the rest of it is form moreno is off at the moment as is Diaby hence the big improvement when Bailey came on.

this team needs 2 new players and many have said it all season a DM and RB. Apparently we have no money to do it but then we sign some kids, so 🤷‍♂️

I suspect we will pick things back up but I don’t see us keeping two points per game up, I feel we are going to need CL to go to 5th place for us to get in and I’m not too comfortable about Chelsea/Newcastle who’s form has been improving

12 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I dunno if this "figured out" matters so much. All professional teams can look at another team and see what their preferred way of playing is and look to counter it. Generally this isn't rocket science. 

I think being well drilled and confident in the system matters more. What we are suffering from now is what looks like self-doubt. We make decisions slow and a lot of players seem to look for each other to step up and not themselves. 

Form definitely is playing a part, Pau missing is massive and the form of Diaby and Moreno is poor at the moment compared to previously.

id freshen up the personnel a bit for the next game. I’d definitely start Bailey, is Digne injured? If not I’d have him in. I would consider bringing Ramsey out and putting Zaniolo in too

19 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Yeah I get what people are saying but at the same time it's like saying " Just wait until Man City get found out ".

It's one thing knowing a teams tactics , it's another thing altogether stopping them, if they perfect it and the players are performing.

Against Man City, we were unstoppable.

Similar for the best players, it's one thing knowing the runs they make, their playing style etc, but it's another thing altogether stopping them

Basically, we've been kind of shite at our own " style " recently.

Edit: I know we can't play at the same intensity we did against City, every game, but I don't get why we can't even try to be somewhat close to that tempo more often.

Anyway, we've actually had a couple.of.rough patches before since Emery has come in, and each time we've come out the end of it.

I don't remember which team it was, but I even remember us distinctly being more direct against a particular team this season which was quite surprising, but pleasantly so.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Unai's had tough moments in the past, and he's always regrouped, if given time and resources – and a bit of faith from supporters. We don't want to start "Arsenaling" Unai, that's for sure. We're still at the highest level we've been in years, and our players and coaches need our support. UTV

Unai Emery has been sacked as Arsenal manager following the club’s longest win-less run since 1992.

The Spaniard replaced Arsene Wenger in May 2018 but failed to turn around the club’s fortunes during his 18-month spell in charge.

Its 2-1 defeat to Frankfurt in the Europa League Thursday was the side’s seventh consecutive game without a win and Arsenal has slipped to eighth in the English Premier League.

In truth, pressure had been mounting on the 48-year-old for weeks with large pockets of fans questioning his tactical direction and calling for him to be sacked.

The club said the decision was made “due to results and performances not being at the level required.”

• Like 4

Think he got it all wrong and not for the first time either in the past few matches. 

Just a reminder that he’s human too and going through a rough patch. 

All managers are stubborn, part of their nature to think they’re right. But some of the insistent decisions he makes - Diaby up top, Tielemans at left.

He’s always learned and adjusted before so hopefully he can analyze these matches and correct some of the problems we’re having. 

4 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

I'm not buying this Torres out being the main difference. He does make a difference,  but we look flat , patchy. lack desire and intensity.

I agree. Pau is a big loss but I don’t think the second he returns all our problems are solved. I’m also not convinced that fatigue is that much of an issue given they’ve all had the winter break. 

There are a few problems to address, tactical flexibility being one of them. I’m confident in Emery, he will have had situations like this before and overcome them.

14 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

I'm not buying this Torres out being the main difference. He does make a difference,  but we look flat , patchy. lack desire and intensity.

Agree. Not having that at all.

We didn't have Torres between February and June when we battered almost everyone.

No one is at it. No looks zoned in. We're playing too slowly.

The boss has some problems to solve. He'll see the performances aren't there, action needed.

No soft lads being selected at Sheffield Utd would be a good start.

Edited by Tomaszk

Think playing Diaby tonight played into how Newcastle set up against us (we were to narrow) for the life of me I don't understand why he didn't start our most inform player in Bailey, really do think if he would of started the score line would of been different. A rare mistake from Emery tonight. Onto the next 💪

The reason we look crap is because most of our forward players, due to injury or form, are currently contributing **** all. Zaniolo, Diaby and Ramsey have had poor seasons, the latter mostly due to injuries.

Hopefully Unai sees Rogers as someone that can come in and do a bit more than they are currently.

Edited by jacketspuds

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

The reason we look crap is because most of our forward players, due to injury or form, are currently contributing **** all. Zaniolo, Diaby and Ramsey have had poor seasons, the latter mostly due to injuries.

Hopefully Unai sees Rogers as someone that can come in and do a bit more than they are currently.

Yes and no. Our forwards aren’t playing well but we’re insistent on playing all of our football 10 yards in front of our own goal. The fullbacks just pass it sideways and the defenders just play pretty triangles with Martinez. It’s slow, cumbersome and quite frankly, boring. Watkins barely gets a kick and whilst Diaby is out of form, it might be nice for him to get the ball in a bit of space or when the defence has been turned to face their own goal. 

This idea of ‘control’ and possession based football is great, I just don’t know why it has to all be in our own half with Martinez as the playmaker. Maybe I just don’t get it. Which is rare, because I’m a visionary. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

Man this second half of the season is going to be classic Villa isn’t it…. We’ll make it difficult for ourselves. 

@Kiwivillan - not sure if you are in agreement or not? 

Think I'll have a week off. Didn't think would feel lower than after the Manure game

• Like 1

Â