Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Oh yes forgot about him. 

Still 9 out of 11 players were not 'his' players yet he's turned them into world-beaters within 12 months.

Especially when you consider that Torres has "replaced" Mings - who was our defensive leader (and so quite a long way down the list of positions where we needed to upgrade) and Tielemans is in for Ramsey who was (is) one of the most exciting young players in the division.  So it's not like he's got rid of our weakest players and replaced them with world class players - you could almost argue that we've done nothing much but replace "like for like" due to injuries.  Which makes it even more impressive.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mantis said:

At this point I almost think it's hard to evaluate a player's true ability while playing under him because he makes almost everyone look so good eventually with his coaching. You could probably slot Habib Beye or Stephen Warnock into that team and they'd look good after a few months.

I think he needs players to buy into his vision - which is possibly why things didn't work at Arsenal / PSG where the players thought that they were above his approach.  (And even then he had one of the highest win percentages at both Arsenal and PSG so the idea that he "failed" at either is massively flawed).  But you'd imagine that Beye / Warnock would be players that would buy into his approach so he'd probably make them look decent.  Lescott, Barkley, McCormack and Drinkwater maybe not so much.  There is a limit to even Unai's powers!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

It’s funny really - I wonder how much Emery is being paid?

Even if it’s a huge number for a coach, it’s basically nothing compared to the fees / wages for a player. And if we end up having to sell a player like Luiz or McGinn or Watkins in summer we’d probably get double or triple what we’d have got for them previously (to say nothing of Bailey). He’ll have paid for himself ten times over.

It throws the last twenty years into sharp focus - there’s been times where we’ve ended up with players that were carrying the rest of the team and clearly too good for us (e.g. Benteke / Grealish) but they’ve never been transformative like having a truly top class manager has been.

Clearly we should have been throwing our money at managers instead of players!

It’s crazy that players have transfer fees but managers don’t…

If a club wanted to come in and hire Emery, do they just have to pay off his contract and maybe some nominal fee?

You never see “transfer fees” being mentioned when managers move between clubs 

• Like 1

We started the Man City game with two players that Gerrard never had in his squad, Torres and Tielemans. 

We talk alot about legendary managers of the past, SAF, Clough, Saunders, Paisley etc but when your in the present you don't realise how good they are, I realise how good he is, if he stays for 5 years he will have us competing at the very top, not just qualifying for the Champions league but competing for it, he's that good. 👏 

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

It’s funny really - I wonder how much Emery is being paid?

Even if it’s a huge number for a coach, it’s basically nothing compared to the fees / wages for a player. And if we end up having to sell a player like Luiz or McGinn or Watkins in summer we’d probably get double or triple what we’d have got for them previously (to say nothing of Bailey). He’ll have paid for himself ten times over.

It throws the last twenty years into sharp focus - there’s been times where we’ve ended up with players that were carrying the rest of the team and clearly too good for us (e.g. Benteke / Grealish) but they’ve never been transformative like having a truly top class manager has been.

Clearly we should have been throwing our money at managers instead of players!

Emery has proved that the manager is far more important than any player.

• Like 1

I keep having to stop myself and say this could be the best it ever gets and to just soak it in, but then Emery manages to have us reaching a new high. 

Again this moment could be the best it ever gets under Emery.

Go on Unai prove me wrong again 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Important dates in the Unai calendar:

4th March - Emery's 14 (and counting) league home win streak begins with a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace

22nd April - Emery breaks the Premier League record for number of consecutive games scored in by a new manager

12th May - Emery wins his first Manager of the Month award with Villa

14th May - Emery's first Europa League win in 2014 with Sevilla

26th May - Emery's famous Europa League final win with Villarreal

28th May - Emery's win over Brighton on the final day of the 22/23 season, taking Villa back into Europe

4th June - Emery buys Real Union in 2021

12th August - Emery's infamous 5-1 opening day defeat to Newcastle, which also saw the loss of Tyrone Mings. Villa recovered to become stronger than ever

24th October - Emery's appointment as Villa manager

3rd November - Emery's birthday

6th November - Emery's first game and win as Villa manager, ending the Great Man United Curse

6th December - Emery's famous victory over Pep Guardiola's Man City at Villa Park

11th December - Emery wins the coveted Al-Wahda Challenge Cup

21st December - Emery's first management job with Lorca Deportiva in 2004

The research behind this post is *chef’s kiss*

Unai would be proud 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo71 said:

Wednesday night was a huge effort, will have taken a chunk out of us. But I can't help dwelling on what the performance and result has put into us.

And fair to say Unai has been waiting for tomorrow's game since the whistle blew on the last one.

It's going to be interesting. 

He's been waiting for this game since they beat us 4-2 last season.

Â