Unai Emery

PeterSw

6 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

Yesterday I had the pleasure of witnessing a lecture on, amongst others, time, focus and resorce management from a Norwegian ex cross country skier of some merit, and he reminded us that results are simply the consequence of ones actions ahead of it.

I suspect that Emery keeps this particular wisdom close to his heart and lets all his actions be directed in a meticulous and planned way, to arrive at the particular set of consequences he wants. What I also suspect is that this philosophy, being mindful that every action you take must be guided by what consequence is it that you want further down the road, it has taken hold in the whole team around him. It sound banal, but it really isn't. Especially not at that level.

I'm rooting for that interpretation.

An Interesting point and it sits with me, comfortably.

We all say, it takes time for managers to secure results from their training ground work and its true.....but that only works if the quality of the work is merchantable and of a high standard....Time alone is an abstract, that offers nothing in isolation, only action, makes it credible....and what you do with that "Time"

Unai's work with his carefully assembled coaches, has "Time" credible and worthy of praise and judgment.

Unai's mantra trust the process, is also tangible......a "Sales" result is similar, trust the process.....tick all the boxes, and the results will come......sure there is an element of art/talent/individulism involved, but the process is usually tried and tested and the vanguard to success.

Many managers in our past have had some good elements to them, and deserve some praise for their contribution.....but Unai in my opinion has a broad church of the acutely important elements of the process.

His attention to detail never ceases to amaze me....He is imo in the Pep conversation.

I will finally say this.....Results are devilishly crucial, they legitimise the work that has been done in the process and hallmark the work to be done....They instill confidence in all associated with those results, Fans, Players, Managers, Owners....They help with future decisions, they build strength and above all provide a torch to the pathway ahead.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

How long has he got left on his contract? We need to get he signed for life.

we want him to be Benjamin Button....please don't grow old Unai.😀

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

He will eventually leave to go to Barca or Real and it will be utterly heartbreaking.

Emery seems to do better at clubs that are the "underdog" why risk it and go to those basket case clubs?

I think if he won a lot of silverware he may leave. I could see spain national job come calling for him

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the Emery effect.

tbh it makes sense, to have technical players, able to play a controlled/possession game, but also have rapid/skilful players to play direct and in behind, is the perfect double threat, most teams play possession OR direct, not both, being able to do both is deadly tbh, i love how Emery is building this team.

For reference, this is the guy the commentator kept calling Modern Warfare 

Last year I commented on a banner hanging fron the Holte End saying "Reg Evans RIP"; he was a life long Villa supporter and missed very few games (if any) home, away or abroad. He was one of my oldest and best friends and we spoke on the phone nearly every day. A popular manrtra  was " It's no use talking about the Saunders days, it's never going to happen again".  Now could it just be that, under Unai, those days are returning . For Villa fans too young to remember the great man; we turned up at VP  actually EXPECTING tp win - and we usually did and we watched a really exciting brand of football. So ; is Unai the new Messiah ?

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, veloman said:

Last year I commented on a banner hanging fron the Holte End saying "Reg Evans RIP"; he was a life long Villa supporter and missed very few games (if any) home, away or abroad. He was one of my oldest and best friends and we spoke on the phone nearly every day. A popular manrtra  was " It's no use talking about the Saunders days, it's never going to happen again".  Now could it just be that, under Unai, those days are returning . For Villa fans too young to remember the great man; we turned up at VP  actually EXPECTING tp win - and we usually did and we watched a really exciting brand of football. So ; is Unai the new Messiah ?

He's not the messiah 

He's an elite coach and I hope we surpass the times with Saunders, I was only a kid back then but my Dad loved him and it's what got me hooked in the first place... 

Unai can get us there for sure, look what he's done with these so called average players.

I now turn up at VP almost expecting to win and I don't fear anyone right now.

I can't wait till Arse and Citeh roll up in December and we send them packing with zero points

Edited by Talldarkandransome

2 hours ago, Craigy1874 said:

He will eventually leave to go to Barca or Real and it will be utterly heartbreaking.

I love him and cannot believe the ride we’re on right now. But I cannot help thinking of the time he will leave too and it already gives me anxiety 😅 this is why we just have to enjoy this time and live in the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think there is a very real likelihood of that happening. I'd like to think before it does though he'll have another 3 years at least here, win something, oversee us qualify for Champs league and established as contenders for European places. Those are all certainly realistic targets and if he achieves them he'll leave us in a position where we will have become a club used to winning again and be a very attractive proposition for another top manager. 

For now though I think we should just enjoy this ride as times like this don't come that often for us. It is interesting that in the AZ reaction thread almost 90% of us voted that the managers performance was very good or good. It wasn't though was it. That is the average under Emery now. Remarkable what he is doing here. 

This, this, a million times, this.

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

AZ's Møller-Wolfe on Villa: "I've never played against such a good team. When we tried to press them high they just went in behind us, and when we stayed they played in between us.

"That said, I don't see why we can't go to Villa Park in a few weeks and beat them."

I think ol' 'Modern Warfare' just perfectly encapsulated Emery's Villa in a nutshell with that first paragraph. 

As for the second one, ha! Dream on, son. 

• Like 2

Maybe it’s blissful ignorance (a strong trait of mine), but the thought of Emery being lured away just doesn’t occur to me.

Until I visit this thread. 

Even still, I’m fairly relaxed on it. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about, certainly not for a long while yet. 

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Maybe it’s blissful ignorance (a strong trait of mine), but the thought of Emery being lured away just doesn’t occur to me.

Until I visit this thread. 

Even still, I’m fairly relaxed on it. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about, certainly not for a long while yet. 

Agree. For one thing, after the arsenal stint he will want to show that he can do a proper full job and prove his doubters wrong. 

It is also unlikely that at one of the 'super clubs' he will get the full backing to completely control and reshape everything with his hand picked team. This is just such a perfect fit at a perfect time. 

He has plenty more years to come, hopefully a good few here, and when it is time to move on let's hope he's achieved all his targets. I could see the national team being attractive (in 10 years time!) 

• Like 2

His aim is to win the champions league, if we can back him in the transfer market then there is no reason we can't get close or even do the unthinkable. I don't fear anymore,  city apart, in the premier league and the premier league is as atrong as the champions league.  He will stay and we will compete at the highest level 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

His aim is to win the champions league, if we can back him in the transfer market then there is no reason we can't get close or even do the unthinkable. I don't fear anymore,  city apart, in the premier league and the premier league is as atrong as the champions league.  He will stay and we will compete at the highest level 

Ahh love this talk!

I don't remember this fear of losing our manager with any previous incumbent. OK, with most of them we weren't too bothered anyway, but even at Deano's high water mark, all the talk on VT was "He'll probably end up as England manager, but if so, that'll mean he's been successful with us, and we'll be well placed to get an as good or even better replacement". 

But with Unai, we're in totally new territory, in that, right now, we can't even imagine a better manager. Any replacement, whatever their CV, would feel like a downgrade. 

Of course, things could change... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craigy1874 said:

Stop thinking like a bluenose or baggie. 🤣

We are unique project, we are in a growth phase too. I believe we can be as big and successful as any club in Europe. I think some on here are selling NSWE short too, they are not Lerner, Xia or Ellis. Trust in Unai and NSWE.  I honestly think we can be built into a power house by Emery, and be capable of winning any major trophy. I realise I may be getting ahead of myself but be optimistic, not let the naysayers tell you otherwise. UTV!

Â