Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“What we need to do here in the club, is to let Unai take the sporting decisions,” Vidagany told The Athletic in a wide-ranging interview. “Let Monchi choose the players with Unai and all of us provide a strong structure — like a fortress — to give them time to develop the project. Because in the end, the difference between success and failure is time.”

Emery wanted control and Villa duly delivered. That works in the short-term although — despite the focus on stable structures — when Emery eventually departs, a huge chunk of Villa’s backroom staff will be impacted. Even the scouting department has been bolstered with close Emery associates in Alberto Benito, his former sporting director at Almeria, and Pablo Rodriguez, a former team-mate.

Young players regard being coached by Emery as a privilege, citing his experience of working with world-class players. The coach’s reputation carries significant cachet and players, naturally, want to be noticed and impress him. Though Emery usually prefers to keep a distance from the squad, he has held several deeper conversations with younger players, with Vidagany as the conduit.

During Villa’s pre-season tour of the U.S. this summer, Emery spoke at length with some players, asking about their ambitions and their backgrounds, right down to what their parents do. 

Emery’s exhaustive methodology meant early results were important in getting senior players onside. The difference in preparation between him and his predecessor Gerrard was huge, with players and staff now being asked to sit through long meetings before games.

A post-match debrief, with Emery still enraged, highlighted every instance Villa kicked the ball long. He pointed out that it conveyed a sense of panic rather than the control that is Emery’s watchword. He asked his players, including Martinez, to control possession better and to pass out carefully rather than kick the ball long. Since then, the World Cup winner has improved when playing out from the back.

“Every player has an objective,” said Emery. “Douglas Luiz’s is to score goals. For example, today (against West Ham) he shoots very well and scored, but against Wolves, he had two very good options on the edge of the box and he didn’t score. We spoke about it. That’s the improvement I am proud of.”

The atmosphere encompassing Villa Park is indicative of how Emery has transformed the club in his first year. “Everything is going very fast,” he said. “The time I can enjoy it is when I can wake up on Monday and look at the Premier League table to see if we are in the position we are trying to get. That is the idea.” 

Edited by Jas10

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I dont know who has decided to change the camera angles on this but I preferred the previous one as it was closer and just focused on Unai.

The pitch side vid they released yesterday has the most shocking music over it with commentary. They're screwing up the point of these vids which is to give a glimpse into the atmosphere. 

• Like 3

Â