Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The consequence is coming, and everybody’s jumping… no, stop that! 

I think Emery means the consequence is the result of all the work they have put in. The success is coming. He will have been telling the squad way back in the first phases of team development that when it all clicks we will be an unstoppable force, scoring goals for fun and destroying teams. That’s the consequence, and it’s on its way now.  

• Haha 2

This guy has elevated so many of the players who had either stagnated or were going backwards before he arrived. McGinn, Digne, Watkins, Konsa all come to mind. They’ve all gone to levels I either didn’t think they were capable of or didn’t have the right conditions to reach.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

The consequence is coming, and everybody’s jumping… no, stop that! 

I think Emery means the consequence is the result of all the work they have put in. The success is coming. He will have been telling the squad way back in the first phases of team development that when it all clicks we will be an unstoppable force, scoring goals for fun and destroying teams. That’s the consequence, and it’s on its way now.  

Yesterday I had the pleasure of witnessing a lecture on, amongst others, time, focus and resorce management from a Norwegian ex cross country skier of some merit, and he reminded us that results are simply the consequence of ones actions ahead of it.

I suspect that Emery keeps this particular wisdom close to his heart and lets all his actions be directed in a meticulous and planned way, to arrive at the particular set of consequences he wants. What I also suspect is that this philosophy, being mindful that every action you take must be guided by what consequence is it that you want further down the road, it has taken hold in the whole team around him. It sound banal, but it really isn't. Especially not at that level.

I'm rooting for that interpretation.

Edited by Gompedyret
Actually having seen the context of the quote, that is more or less what he actually says, so there.
  • Like 3

This man is simply amazing. I just hope he understands how much joy and pride he's brought to us Villa fans.

What's even more remarkable is that he's a complete gentleman to boot. Never one to hog the limelight, nor seek to do that chest bump thing that the Scousers lap up from Klopp, no prickly answers in interviews - just polite, dignified and classy all the way.

Whilst January is a notoriously difficult time to recruit, what player wouldn't want to play at Villa right now? 

• Like 3

I always think of villa's wider perception and hope that people think of us as a pretty big club, who traditionally are a big name, who have fallen on more difficult times recently.

I think most other clubs (maybe not their fans), think of us as quite classy, the way we hold ourselves as a club.

Unai is the perfect fit for our whole ethos and culture.  He's quiet, calm, influential, intelligent, diligent, calculating, positive and driven.

"Prepared" is what springs to my mind, and I think that's inherently beautiful.

I can only hope that "bigger" opportunities don't tempt him away from our club/project, for years to come.

I hope that determination, drive, ambition and striving for perfection doesn't ever leave him.

In my lifetime (36), we've never had what feels like a perfect match for a manager, and I include Brian Little on that, as yes, he's a legend, but his coaching wasn't up to the same level.

We tend to have 3-4 year cycles on decent managers, because year 3.5 onwards always seems to see a decline, I can't see that happening, should Unai stay for that length.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

This is just the best Villa have been in my lifetime. I hope to god we win a trophy under him, it would be so deserved.

This honestly is better than I ever expected we'd be able to deliver

Assuming we don't do a Moscow and sacrifice the competition, I see no reason why we shouldn't be firmly in running for the conference

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

the Emery effect.

tbh it makes sense, to have technical players, able to play a controlled/possession game, but also have rapid/skilful players to play direct and in behind, is the perfect double threat, most teams play possession OR direct, not both, being able to do both is deadly tbh, i love how Emery is building this team.

I was coming here to make this very point. Glad to see I'm not making it up.

We've had teams play all sorts of ways against us, and none of them have really found a way to stop us.

Sit deep and we'll find a way through as we have every game this season. Press us and we'll definitely create very good chances, and probably score them, but do you have the same confidence that you'll score the chances you create having pressed and won the ball back? Play the ball long, and you'll be offside. Play the ball short and we'll do a low block to limit all available passing lanes to only those ones we know we can defend from. 

The Newcastle game is a write off due to the late double injury blow that ruined our preparation.

Liverpool the only real exception as they did similar to what AZ did last night, but were far more clinical in taking the few chances that fell there way when they finally forced a mistake, scoring 3 from only 4 shots on target (yes one was an OG).There won't be many teams in the world that can do what Liverpool did and have a player at the end of it that will put away the one chance they get.

Unai has really worked some miracles here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I was coming here to make this very point. Glad to see I'm not making it up.

We've had teams play all sorts of ways against us, and none of them have really found a way to stop us.

Sit deep and we'll find a way through as we have every game this season. Press us and we'll definitely create very good chances, and probably score them, but do you have the same confidence that you'll score the chances you create having pressed and won the ball back? Play the ball long, and you'll be offside. Play the ball short and we'll do a low block to limit all available passing lanes to only those ones we know we can defend from. 

The Newcastle game is a write off due to the late double injury blow that ruined our preparation.

Liverpool the only real exception as they did similar to what AZ did last night, but were far more clinical in taking the few chances that fell there way when they finally forced a mistake, scoring 3 from only 4 shots on target (yes one was an OG).There won't be many teams in the world that can do what Liverpool did and have a player at the end of it that will put away the one chance they get.

Unai has really worked some miracles here.

Man U did it in the Carabao cup at their place.....so its just a case of being mindful of it as we progress....I am sure Unai is.

There is no fool proof way/system of stopping everybody....but what we are doing is mind blowing.

We will still have off days, we are are humans not robots, but right now, we look invincible.

Unai has worked wonders, and when he says only 10% of the work is done.....its simply, impelling.

I am so happy, that he has transformed the fan base from doubters ( like me) to believers, truly remarkable, transformation.

When you think, against West Ham, we had 5 Dean Smith signings.....and he has coached them to this level....simply intoxicating.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

Much has been said and written about Unai and rightly so, but spare a thought for the man that had the foresight and determination, to bring him here.....Nassef Sawaris

We are lucky to have him and Wes, too.

Had the same thought this morning too 

• Like 1

Â