Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree with Stevo regarding the fan base. I also think fans will start turning soon enough if things don’t go our way, not necessarily at Emery but the board in terms of ticket prices etc.  I can actually see us struggling to sell out games which is kind of starting to happen now . There’s no reason why Villa park shouldn’t be selling out even if form dips and we don’t achieve what was expected. 

3 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

With respect I think you are - this team is still work in progress - when you consider the injuries to Emi/Ty /JJ and Moreno, coupled with new signings still settling in, I think we are doing really well.

Come the new year - I am confident we will be really flying high.

Be less worried - all will be fine.

There does appear to be a slight negative noise that has suddenly starting gathering a bit of pace.

I understand what @Stevo985 is trying to get at, there's something not right somewhere. Personally, I don't think it's Unai.

I also don't think it's a case of 'we're just looking for an excuse to 'moan' about something, because I do feel there's an odd feeling lurking about the club at the moment too.

As @ChesterDad also states above, nearly having the spine of your team injured days into the season appeared to send a bit of a shockwave through us and we look like we still haven't really recovered from that or got going yet this season either - which is kind of encouraging in itself given where we are in the league at the minute and still a long way to go in Europe too.

If I had to guess, I think it's a combination of all of the silly off-field issues (and there are many) which is perhaps causing segments of fans to take it out on the manager/on-field matters starting with last night.

But that's a matter for another thread, the main thing here is that Unai is getting the results where they matter in the league so far given the circumstances of new signings settling in, injuries to contend with, and alot of games in quick succession, he's doing pretty bloody well.

I do fear though that were only one or two bad results away from a fan meltdown when there really wouldn't be any need for it, and sadly Unai will no doubt get his fair share of shite that I can already predict will be unwarranted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

I was saying this after Liverpool! Our performances have been shite all season really, nothing like last season at all. Yes we have won a few games already but I think some of that says a lot about the opposition… we could easily lose 3 in a row now and I wouldn’t be that surprised. (Although, I don’t think we will lose 3 in a row)

Things are ‘weird’ at the minute, I don’t quite know what it’s down to, but something isn’t right or clicking somewhere… 

They really haven't though?

We have had some really shit performances, a couple in games we should be winning, but it's not as if in the games we have won we've been sneaking wins (like we did when we started off really well in 2014/15 under Lambert). Everton in the league we demolished without even needing to look amazing, Burnley was a comfortable away win where we didn't look troubled at all, Palace we did leave it late but still dominated most of the game, while Chelsea was relatively comfortable, although the red card admittedly warps things a bit.

I honestly think a lot of the negative feelings right now have come from the manner of the defeats.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That wasn’t really my point. I agree I think the team will be fine. I’m extremely excited about this season. 

My point was I’m worried that some of the fanbase might turn if results take a downturn, fuelled by things off the pitch 

I have to say I underestimated how many would turn on him quickly. I thought he was somehow unique and that would have basically everyone behind him unless things got really bad for a prolonged period, but it does indeed seem as if there are a small but sizeable minority who are so fickle and impatient that they'll turn the first chance they get.

On the other hand, I think Emery has got a far larger bank of "solid" support behind him than any recent manager has had. Even during a very rough spell I think he'll retain the support of the majority just because of how well he's done so far but also because there is absolutely nobody out there that is better that we have even a tiny chance of getting. If I'm honest I still wouldn't trade him for any other manager in the world right now.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

They really haven't though?

We have had some really shit performances, a couple in games we should be winning, but it's not as if in the games we have won we've been sneaking wins (like we did when we started off really well in 2014/15 under Lambert). Everton in the league we demolished without even needing to look amazing, Burnley was a comfortable away win where we didn't look troubled at all, Palace we did leave it late but still dominated most of the game, while Chelsea was relatively comfortable, although the red card admittedly warps things a bit.

I honestly think a lot of the negative feelings right now have come from the manner of the defeats.

I have to say I underestimated how many would turn on him quickly. I thought he was somehow unique and that would have basically everyone behind him unless things got really bad for a prolonged period, but it does indeed seem as if there are a small but sizeable minority who are so fickle and impatient that they'll turn the first chance they get.

On the other hand, I think Emery has got a far larger bank of "solid" support behind him than any recent manager has had. Even during a very rough spell I think he'll retain the support of the majority just because of how well he's done so far but also because there is absolutely nobody out there that is better that we have even a tiny chance of getting. If I'm honest I still wouldn't trade him for any other manager in the world right now.

I don’t see it as though people are turning on Emery? I can honestly say I haven’t seen one person say they want him out?

I think people are picking up on the individual players, which is why Kamara has come under fire and Torres has been given a hard time. Bailey has been criticised again, etc etc. There is definitely something weird going on, and Emery will need to sort that out… but I still don’t know what it is that’s wrong when compared to last season, other than some playing personnel. Either way, the defeats we have had this sesson, have been very bad. Everton and Burnley were fine wins. Palace was poor for 88mins and Chelsea probably should have beat us overall. 

Those are astonishing numbers.

We often don't play like a 2 PPG team, but you can't argue with that. What a **** shame he came in after we'd already been set so far back in the league. Surely we can't keep those numbers up for another 30 odd games. Could we?

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Those are astonishing numbers.

We often don't play like a 2 PPG team, but you can't argue with that. What a **** shame he came in after we'd already been set so far back in the league. Surely we can't keep those numbers up for another 30 odd games. Could we?

Not with Europe and the big injuries. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I don’t see it as though people are turning on Emery? I can honestly say I haven’t seen one person say they want him out?

I think people are picking up on the individual players, which is why Kamara has come under fire and Torres has been given a hard time. Bailey has been criticised again, etc etc. There is definitely something weird going on, and Emery will need to sort that out… but I still don’t know what it is that’s wrong when compared to last season, other than some playing personnel. Either way, the defeats we have had this sesson, have been very bad. Everton and Burnley were fine wins. Palace was poor for 88mins and Chelsea probably should have beat us overall. 

I didn't mean you had turned on Emery, just a few idiots on social media.

I'm still struggling to see though what it is that's so apparently weird and wrong compared to last season? We've maintained the league form so far, and even last season we had a very humiliating blip in the FA Cup, so even that's not new. Add in the fact that we've been without 4 of our starters for basically the entire season so far and I think that explains it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, romavillan said:

De Zerbi, 2 goals a game and average 62% possession in the premier league with Brighton over 38 games. That's **** insane.

Whilst selling their best players!    We need to be really on it tomorrow. 

As for any fans that have turned on Emery. I’m not surprised at all. Football fans cover a very wide range of people so there will always be some.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As for any fans that have turned on Emery. I’m not surprised at all. Football fans cover a very wide range of people so there will always be some.

Even if fans turn on Emery who are we gonna realistically get who is better?

Emery is about as good as we can get.

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Even if fans turn on Emery who are we gonna realistically get who is better?

Emery is about as good as we can get.

The Fans turning on Unai would definitely be the ones shouting for Dyche to replace him. Proper manager 😂

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There does appear to be a slight negative noise that has suddenly starting gathering a bit of pace.

I understand what @Stevo985 is trying to get at, there's something not right somewhere. Personally, I don't think it's Unai.

And just to clarify, I don't think it's Unai either. I think he's brilliant. My fear is that Unai might take the brunt of the fans' backlash when he doesn't deserve it

• Like 1

If you look at the last six results in incredibly basic terms it is literally win, lose, win, lose, win, lose. 

On the pitch it’s just a bit feast or famine in that regard. There are mitigating factors with those six results so shouldn’t be looked at in such cold hard terms. But I think the up and down nature of recent results can’t help but bleed through a bit and cause a bit of uncertainty - not in Emery as such (and it shouldn’t really be), more in how this season is going to play out, and realigning expectations accordingly.

“Well, we’re currently a top six club having had a few tricky fixtures and a few major injury setbacks, so that’s positive. On the other hand we seemingly won’t win a proper cup game ever again. Not sure what to do with that…”    Perhaps might be a sentiment being felt, not in so many words.

11 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I also don't think it's a case of 'we're just looking for an excuse to 'moan' about something, because I do feel there's an odd feeling lurking about the club at the moment too.

As @ChesterDad also states above, nearly having the spine of your team injured days into the season appeared to send a bit of a shockwave through us and we look like we still haven't really recovered from that or got going yet this season either - which is kind of encouraging in itself given where we are in the league at the minute and still a long way to go in Europe too.

If I had to guess, I think it's a combination of all of the silly off-field issues (and there are many) which is perhaps causing segments of fans to take it out on the manager/on-field matters starting with last night.

But that's a matter for another thread, the main thing here is that Unai is getting the results where they matter in the league so far given the circumstances of new signings settling in, injuries to contend with, and alot of games in quick succession, he's doing pretty bloody well.

I do fear though that were only one or two bad results away from a fan meltdown when there really wouldn't be any need for it, and sadly Unai will no doubt get his fair share of shite that I can already predict will be unwarranted.

agree with this. it all started with the season ticket price hike and has continued with butchering the holte end for hospitality and the removal of the holte suite as a free pre match venue. coupled with the shit shirts, some poor messaging on social media, and ludicrous pricing for a carabao cup game and you're left with a very pissed off fanbase who are only kept somewhat calm by things going well on the pitch. the second that starts to no longer be the case, you're going to see murmurs of discontent becoming much louder.

if any of these off field issues weren't there, i don't think you'd see any posts like "we've been shit most of the season", "we were lucky to beat palace and chelsea" etc etc. so whilst i agree it's not "looking for an excuse to moan" i think it's being generally pissed off so you see faults that you otherwise wouldn't be seeing.

not sure where else this post should belong to be honest but i better bring it back on topic, frankly with the injuries we've got, i'm amazed at our start to the season and credit for unai for doing that. when mings got injured, i said at the time it felt like our season was over. if you'd offered me 6th after 6 games i'd have bitten your hand off. he shows time and time again that he's an elite manager and he just gets things right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There is nobody. Emery is elite and going nowhere. The ones that turned are just a bit challenged. Nothing we can do about it. 

We as a fanbase would have to be foolish to chase Emery out of the club after a slight setback, don't be an entitled idiot like the Arsenal fans who chased Wenger and Emery out. Remember what we had not that long ago under Gerrard, and where we are now. I know that I feel far better about our team and future than I did one year ago today and that is down to Emery and his backroom team.

We also need to remember our plans for this season were thrown into turmoil with some very bad injuries to Buendia, Mings, Ramsey and Moreno before the season even got going, which means we are currently going through the learning process again of new players learning their new team mates and the system. Give them time, I am certain Unai will get it right.

Edited by NeilS
spelling
  • Like 2

Â