Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worry more that he'll leave us of his own accord.  He left behind Villarreal, a club where he was loved and he he had a deep affinity himself and where he'd built something.

I just hope that when/if the time comes, he leaves us with some silverware.

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I worry more that he'll leave us of his own accord.  He left behind Villarreal, a club where he was loved and he he had a deep affinity himself and where he'd built something.

Its difficult choice for him when it comes, he has a lot of control here with a good budget which he wont get at any club higher up the food chain. He has already had PSG and Arsenal jobs that he wasnt really happy with so maybe doesnt fancy it again

Would he throw away what power he has here for what Ten Hag has to deal with at United for example

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Not saying he wont do this, but i also think he is in a different position here.

He has PL money in terms of transfers etc, but more than that it seems to me that he is basically running the show, has been given all the reigns and is building his team and backroom however he likes, such as the entire support team he has around him, bringing Monchi in, probably having control/last say over transfers, i get the impression has been told to build the club how he likes, in his own image.

tbh i think that would be a huge thing for him, rather than going somewhere else (like Chelsea....or similar) where he would have much less control and sway.

Also, its not like he hasnt done the "big jobs", with Arsenal & PSG, so i can also imagine he's "been there, done that", and having the pure control and oversight here would be a huge, huge thing for him.

I could be wrong, but i would prob bet a fiver im not :P

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Not saying he wont do this, but i also think he is in a different position here.

He has PL money in terms of transfers etc, but more than that it seems to me that he is basically running the show, has been given all the reigns and is building his team and backroom however he likes, such as the entire support team he has around him, bringing Monchi in, probably having control/last say over transfers, i get the impression has been told to build the club how he likes, in his own image.

tbh i think that would be a huge thing for him, rather than going somewhere else (like Chelsea....or similar) where he would have much less control and sway.

Also, its not like he hasnt done the "big jobs", with Arsenal & PSG, so i can also imagine he's "been there, done that", and having the pure control and oversight here would be a huge, huge thing for him.

I don't think a Manure, Chelski would give him the absolute control that we would.

I don't think he would see City as a challenge and it would be the same.

He's got the money, fanbase, control and league to seriously cement himself as one of greats of all time.

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

If he leaves it's to an absolute super power.

Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Spain even.

At every single one of those he won't get the control he has here. It should never be full control because that's not how successful clubs run, but he'll (rightly) get more of a say here than any of them.

He's also seen that side of things at PSG. You desperately need a CB and the chairman blows £120m of your budget on three ordinary wingers.

I think he knows he's onto a good thing.

Madrid, Barca and Spain are the big three that worry me.

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

also my worry, hes traditionally been at clubs for a couple of years, the average for all prem managers is probably less than a couple recently, he will have different things he wants to achieve i hope we have a good progression plan. 

Just assuming he loves it here and will stay for ever is the type of planning thats got us in a mess for the last few years. 

Id rather the club understood his goals, when he was likely to move and made sure they are ready to move. Brighton are probably one of the best examples of this in recent years.

21 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

If he does well with us, he'll probably be off to a 'big club' . Realistically, he's unlikely to be here for the long term so we should just enjoy him while we can.

22 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Sooner or later it will happen. I hope later obviously and that he has put us in a position to attract some real good people to continue any success he might have brought by that time. Worst thing that could happen is us making progress under him, then just falling off massively once he leaves. I truly hope that Emery is the beginning of something that doesn't live or die with him alone. 

Where’s this talk of Unai leaving (anytime soon) come from? He’s not going anywhere… he has been given such freedom and control here to build a lasting and successful legacy… everything has been set up for him to etch his name into our proud history and always be fondly remembered… this is a long term vision and project. I imagine that it is the ideal scenario for him and he is the key decision maker on the football side… in a way, it’s a dream job for both Unai and Monchi.

They have such capacity, control, freedom and resources… to the extent that they haven’t really experienced before (Monchi explicitly stated this in one of his first interviews).

Like it or not, the PL is “where it’s at” now and where most top managers and players want to be… even some of the “top foreign sides” are restricted in some way or struggling to compete financially. I can’t see him ever joining or being attracted to a different PL job either (and/or he will continually be overlooked for those positions)…

Unai has already had a taste of being at “top clubs” or those expected to win or compete for the highest honours… the idea and goal is for him to take us to that kind of level or at least challenge those teams. Everything we’ve seen, hard and read from him clearly indicated that he is fully “bought in” or engrossed in his role and duties at the club…

I’m sure what Unai craves most is being able to work with freedom and do things his own way rather than operate under higher pressure and under restrictions or other influences… it was part of the allure of the job and probably one of the main “carrots” put before him by NSWE…

More than anywhere else… he has really been given an opportunity to “build something” just the way he wants with the capacity and potential to genuinely, eventually, compete at the highest levels… to a greater extent than in previous jobs too…

It’s Unai’s claret and blue army and this is a long term arrangement… why else have NSWE made all these moves and arrangements and supported him to such an extent? Everything revolves around Unai…

He’s here to stay and we want to compete at the highest possible level…

Unai is not having to work under the influence or disruption of others with obstacles being put in his way, the same goes for Monchi…

I genuinely feel and believe that neither of them have any idea or notion of going elsewhere… they want to put the work in and make us a “giant” again… they are fully immersed in their roles… 

King Unai will have us back where we belong… we want to win things….

Let him work and let’s start sorting stuff out away from the pitch too… to a similar sort of level…

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

On 19/09/2023 at 15:23, Jas10 said:

Have we ever had videos like this with any other manager? Also, does any other team do this with their manager? I'm sure I've never seen anything like it, but I'm captivated by it every time they post one.

5 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Have we ever had videos like this with any other manager? Also, does any other team do this with their manager? I'm sure I've never seen anything like it, but I'm captivated by it every time they post one.

Gerrard slumped in his seat sulking with his arms folded wouldn't be great viewing.

• Haha 1

On 19/09/2023 at 01:50, Tomaszk said:

Madrid, Barca and Spain are the big three that worry me.

Spain is pretty unlikely. By his own admission, emery loves the action of regular matches. He would be bored out his tree doing an international job. Barca is a big club but terribly run and he would have little control there. Madrid is the only one that is a genuine worry Imo. 

Â