Unai Emery

PeterSw

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Loads of people last season were saying we were outperforming our underlying stats or xPoints or whatever to a large degree. Probably rubbish but worth bearing in mind.

Aside from the two season ending injuries the most disappointing thing of it all is it looks to everyone else now our bashing of them last season was a fluke or anomalous result and that Howe is some sort of football genius who's since outwitted Emery. When in reality I think the teams are pretty evenly matched and we have the better manager.

If anything the Newcastle game was a bit of a fluke. 2 offside goals, a total defensive clanger leading to another goal, a freak Mings injury early on unsettling everybody etc. Not saying Emery didn't make tactical mistakes but was not a normal game in the slightest.

• Like 3

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Loads of people last season were saying we were outperforming our underlying stats or xPoints or whatever to a large degree. Probably rubbish but worth bearing in mind.

Aside from the two season ending injuries the most disappointing thing of it all is it looks to everyone else now our bashing of them last season was a fluke or anomalous result and that Howe is some sort of football genius who's since outwitted Emery. When in reality I think the teams are pretty evenly matched and we have the better manager.

This was the case yeah, I have a friend who does football analytics and the main chat was we couldn’t sustain it over a longer period. My answer to that was we’ve signed better players etc and had longer with the manager. 

Just listened to the Ripple Effect podcast. In this they were talking about how players don’t solve problems on the pitch anymore and rely on the coach to solve it for them. I think there is a lot in that these days, with all the systems and tactics they now have. I’d say in Emery we probably have one of the best in the business at that, but it also explains a lot of the result in Saturday and also why Newcastle are doing so well. St James’ is loud place and it must be hard to hear the coaches instructions. We know Emery will be working on the team tactics immensely until the team get it right. 

Emery was as battered as everyone at the final whistle on Saturday.

We just weren't prepared from the word go, we couldn't handle what Newcastle threw at us and the injury to Mings didn't help. We went to pieces as the scoreline shows.

I don't think we will be seeing a performance like that again this season and Emery will have analysed hours of footage in preparation for this game on Sunday.

Emery will have everyone fired up to ensure we put in a performance and I can see a few changes to the squad too. I feel we will grab the 3pts significantly.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

On 14/08/2023 at 13:35, KentVillan said:

Great managers have bad games. Especially first game of season. Emery will be fine.

I understand some of the panic about certain players and about the injury situation, but people turning on Emery have lost the plot. His record speaks for itself.

100% Agree, even Fergie and Wenger were on the end of some thrashings some times, and they are the two most successful managers during the PL era. Unai will bounce back, and so will the team.

We lost 4 players from the home game against Newcastle, one on the pitch. One of the hardest away games in the season, top 4 I would say.

He's had one summer transfer window and brought in players that are going to be first team starters,  they need to be integrated. 

If you can't see what he's building and have doubts , after one game , then you need a real reality check and tbh a new sport , maybe WWE.

We're in transition,  arguably  the biggest one we have ever seen. Hold on because one way or another we are going to be challenging and all the other top teams know it, their worried

Edited by tinker
  • Like 3

On 14/08/2023 at 14:38, IrishVilla10 said:

This was the case yeah, I have a friend who does football analytics and the main chat was we couldn’t sustain it over a longer period. My answer to that was we’ve signed better players etc and had longer with the manager. 

Yeah but if we maintained the form under Emery last season, we'd be title challengers. So very, very unlikely. But we can still have a very good season.

7 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

is it just me or did Unai appear irritated by the press conference today?  

I think the pressure is starting to tell like it does on all Villa managers. I would hazard a guess he will be totally grey by the end of the season like Sir Brian did

• Like 1

He was a bit miffed, yes.

Mister really hates losing, especially by wide margins.

Had to laugh when he brought up Arsenal and Leicester losses again. He was so angry at those results last season.

Made me more confident for tomorrow watching that actually.

16 minutes ago, juteface said:

I always imagined an honest job interview for Lambert would have been the board telling him that they'd do everything possible to have the team relegated while he had to do everything he could to stop it.

I have a lot of respect for Lambert.

Anyway, unai could be grey and would still look like a boss. Even if we finished 17th I'd be against sacking him.

This has made me think - am I the only one that is prepared to give Emery far more leeway than previous managers? Not just because of how we did under him last season but also because of his obvious quality and pedigree as a manager? Even if we had a really poor league season like West Ham did last year, I'd be minded to accept it instead of sacking him because in all honesty, we're not going to be able to get anybody better quality than him.

• Like 4

Â