Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Everything that could go wrong did, and I'm certain that Emery is embarrassed by that performance, but be in no doubt he is by far the best manager we have had in modern times and I am 100% certain it will be a one off. He could go on and lose the next five games and we should still back home because it won't get any better.

I’m sure he’ll put things right but we’re in an injury crisis and it’s only August! The window is still

open though but we’re hampered still by mistakes made under the previous manager and recruitment leaving us in a tricky position regarding ffp. I thought Purslow was an expert on this?

• Like 1

I've moved on from result already, I'm sure Emery will sort it out. We will lose more games, hopefully not as dramatically but will lose again, maybe even on Sunday.

It won't be the end the of world or the season, but how they react in training and v Everton will give us a clue. 

Emery knows what he's doing and we'll adapt to the injuries, fans need to stick with it

• Like 1

He has an awful lot of credit in the bank and one heavy loss doesn't mean he's a bad manager, but he got it badly wrong yesterday. 

Several mistakes were:

1. Playing a high line against such a high pressing and pacey team, which was suicide

2. Not going for man for man against Newcastle, who played a 4-3-3 and whose excellent central midfield of Tonali-Guimaeres-Joelinton dominated our two man midfield of Luiz and Kamara, we needed another body in there

3. Playing McGinn out of position on the left, which was unusual and hadn't been tried in preseason

4. Not adapting the tactics during the game despite the fact we were overrun many times and Martinez had to make several one on one saves

5. Not seemingly having the players prepared for the first game of the season as they seemed to play like it was a friendly, preseason match

Of course it didn't help that Buendia got a serious injury a couple of days before the game and Mings got a serious injury during the game, but Emery has been around at the top level of management long enough to know how to respond to setbacks. And it's not like we were bringing Chambers or Hause on for Mings, we were bringing on Pau Torres who may not know the league but has been regarded as one of the best CBs in Europe over the past few seasons. Buendia is a key part of the squad but IMO probably wasn't even a guaranteed starter for us this season. So the injuries shouldn't explain such a shabby performance.

To be honest I thought we'd lose the game yesterday anyway as we have a rotten record at Newcastle, their home form last season was exceptional (only losing to Arsenal and Liverpool who are better teams than us), and they have a strong team. However, I was not expecting a 5-1 scoreline and thought we would lose by maybe one goal, or two goals at worst. It's all well and good saying it is just one game, but I am concerned we were not up for it on the opening day of the season when we had no excuses of fatigue or a game just a few days beforehand. We should have been right up for the game just like Newcastle were.

I am hopeful this is the wake up call we need, to strengthen the team further by upgrading Cash and Bailey who are our two weakest links and maybe signing a new leader at the back to replace Mings to play alongside Pau who is not going to be able to lead the defence at this current moment.

We must batter our next two opponents to try to get our season up and running and sort out our shite GD which has us sat firmly at the bottom of the table. 

This man took a team that was "coached" by Steven Gerrard, and managed to find a winning formula within a handful of games.

He will be meticulously going through the game, analysing everything that went wrong, and the few things that went right, in order to ensure we're prepared to take on Everton.

I'm hoping this was our Stevenage game.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 3

Question, didn’t Unai say he was aware or what mistakes were made the last time he was managing in the premier league and knew what to do to rectify them? 
What if it turns out that he doesn’t know what those mistakes were or how to rectify them? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Question, didn’t Unai say he was aware or what mistakes were made the last time he was managing in the premier league and knew what to do to rectify them? 
What if it turns out that he doesn’t know what those mistakes were or how to rectify them? 

Did you ever read that poem? The one with a line that goes something like,

'if you can keep your head after Villa losing one single game in the premier league under testing circumstances against a good team then you have learnt how to manage your emotions'

'And while all about you are losing theirs...blah blah'

The poem is a bit preachy tbh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tayls said:

If that were the case I doubt we would've done so well last season under him.

Come on, we've lost one game badly against tough opposition, and there were several mitigating factors in said game. People already seem to be losing the plot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leeroy said:

He has an awful lot of credit in the bank and one heavy loss doesn't mean he's a bad manager, but he got it badly wrong yesterday. 

Several mistakes were:

1. Playing a high line against such a high pressing and pacey team, which was suicide

2. Not going for man for man against Newcastle, who played a 4-3-3 and whose excellent central midfield of Tonali-Guimaeres-Joelinton dominated our two man midfield of Luiz and Kamara, we needed another body in there

3. Playing McGinn out of position on the left, which was unusual and hadn't been tried in preseason

4. Not adapting the tactics during the game despite the fact we were overrun many times and Martinez had to make several one on one saves

5. Not seemingly having the players prepared for the first game of the season as they seemed to play like it was a friendly, preseason match

Of course it didn't help that Buendia got a serious injury a couple of days before the game and Mings got a serious injury during the game, but Emery has been around at the top level of management long enough to know how to respond to setbacks. And it's not like we were bringing Chambers or Hause on for Mings, we were bringing on Pau Torres who may not know the league but has been regarded as one of the best CBs in Europe over the past few seasons. Buendia is a key part of the squad but IMO probably wasn't even a guaranteed starter for us this season. So the injuries shouldn't explain such a shabby performance.

To be honest I thought we'd lose the game yesterday anyway as we have a rotten record at Newcastle, their home form last season was exceptional (only losing to Arsenal and Liverpool who are better teams than us), and they have a strong team. However, I was not expecting a 5-1 scoreline and thought we would lose by maybe one goal, or two goals at worst. It's all well and good saying it is just one game, but I am concerned we were not up for it on the opening day of the season when we had no excuses of fatigue or a game just a few days beforehand. We should have been right up for the game just like Newcastle were.

I am hopeful this is the wake up call we need, to strengthen the team further by upgrading Cash and Bailey who are our two weakest links and maybe signing a new leader at the back to replace Mings to play alongside Pau who is not going to be able to lead the defence at this current moment.

We must batter our next two opponents to try to get our season up and running and sort out our shite GD which has us sat firmly at the bottom of the table. 

I am sure the umpteen times Europa winner will welcome your tactical feedback!

You have spent a day thinking it over, do you think Emery has been sat catching up on the Eastenders Omnibus?

Lack of respect is baffling.

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

So let's be pro active and sack him before we get the chance to find out ay?

• Like 2

Personally, I think there needs to be a balance between Hyperbole and Blind Faith.

Too many posters seem to be on either side of the spectrum.

The resume, credit in the bank and what he has already done with us, should supersede most the other bollox at this point imo.

Especially with the mitigating circumstances and it being the first game of the season!

On the other hand, of course there is room for constructive criticism and debate, but i legit feel some people spout shite for effect. 

I don't think anyone with well laid out arguments and constructive criticism and/or concerns gets shot down out right.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Unai has spoken many times about analyzing the squad and subsequently following up action in the transfer market. 

We are now effectively without Mings and Buendia for the season. Moreno and JJ until September and I’m not convinced Kamara is fully fit. Without Moreno, JJ, Buendia, and Mings - that’s half the squad that demolishes Newcastle last year. 

Whatever our final squad is after the transfer window closes, I suspect we will play a lot differently than how we did at the end of last season. 

I think the hardest job for Don Unai is to transform the club into a club that is used to challenging for the top honours.

A lot of our players are not used to success. It’d be good for Don Unai to recruit a couple more players who have won trophies.

41 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So let's be pro active and sack him before we get the chance to find out ay?

Good point, get rid now and get someone in to steady the ship,

I think big Sam is currently available 

• Haha 2

I think he got it wrong playing Baily and Cash on the right. I guess the idea was to use their speed together with Diaby to cause problems for Burn, but it was a gamble and didn't work. Cash is a liability defensively and would have needed McGinn in his normal position in front of him. In the second I understand that he wanted to change things but I hope we don't play with three at the back again, it just doesn't work. I'm also not convinced by Cash. I think he is the weakest link in the team bar Bailey. The third thing I think was wrong was to play Kamara instead of Tielemans. We very much missed Buendia and his creativity, movement and always wanting the ball and most of all his through passes. Tielemans has an eye for those through passes and would compensate a bit for not having Buendia on the pitch. Tielemans is not as good defensively than Kamara, but I think he is the better player allround.

What was good was that he spotted the different things early, replaced baily at half time, brought Tielemans on and I'm sure he will think twice about going 5-3-2 again. 

A bit of a reality check against Newcastle. 

Some of our players let him down.

With all the talk about being back in Europe and aiming for Top 4, sometimes the team get too far ahead of themselves and forget it's a new season and we are starting on 0 points again.

He needs to keep pushing for the players he wants over the next few weeks.

Loads of people last season were saying we were outperforming our underlying stats or xPoints or whatever to a large degree. Probably rubbish but worth bearing in mind.

Aside from the two season ending injuries the most disappointing thing of it all is it looks to everyone else now our bashing of them last season was a fluke or anomalous result and that Howe is some sort of football genius who's since outwitted Emery. When in reality I think the teams are pretty evenly matched and we have the better manager.

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 2

Â