Unai Emery

PeterSw

He gets to build a squad witb no interference.  He has all his trusted football people around him. And he has financial backing  . We were wondering why he decided to leave Villareal and come to us in 15th place in November.  Now we see why. 

• Like 4

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Love the guy. Hope this all works well for him as much as for us. It’s night and day to his predecessor. 

Its probably night and day to anyone previously in the job.

I can remember not so long ago, we moved the training time forward, due to players staying up late on their x boxes......That's gone.

They have to be in by 10.00am.....but the whole team turning up ( on their own volition) between 8.00am a 8.30am on the first day back....thats a huge culture change.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He gets to build a squad witb no interference.  He has all his trusted football people around him. And he has financial backing  . We were wondering why he decided to leave Villareal and come to us in 15th place in November.  Now we see why. 

Last person that had Carte Blanche was MON under guy that inherited his Dad's credit card bank company and MON wanted to fill squad with overpaid British leagues players on massive wages no resale garbage just like Celtic fan warned early on. Now 2 savvy businessmen with a manager that actually knows what he's doing and is not a petulant gobshite by all accounts

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Well that and maybe unfinished business. Totally unfairly maligned as a joke in this country from his days at Arsenal and probably keen to show that actually, he's a really damn good manager.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

I'm sorry but I cannot idly stand by whilst Unai is on page 3 of VT.

In all sincerity, this man is one of the best things to happen to our club, and seems a thoroughly committed, driven, elite individual determined to bring us the good times again.

It's been said before that the last fella carried a stench around with him thinking we should be grateful for him being at the Villa. Don Unai is the exact opposite, and a properly classy gentleman too.

He's just great and I really hope we get to lift some silverware with him!

Not ignoring him mate. Just posting about the train set he has to work with. When we win something the biggest cheer will be reserved for when he lifts the cup i reckon ! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

In all sincerity, this man is one of the best things to happen to our club, and seems a thoroughly committed, driven, elite individual determined to bring us the good times again.

It's been said before that the last fella carried a stench around with him thinking we should be grateful for him being at the Villa. Don Unai is the exact opposite, and a properly classy gentleman too.

He's been our manager for like 9 months and I still can't quite believe it. Genuinely amazing seeing how universally loved he is by the fans as well.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Mantis said:

He's been our manager for like 9 months and I still can't quite believe it. Genuinely amazing seeing how universally loved he is by the fans as well.

It's just so obvious how switched on and good he is. Even the real dummies can't help but accept he's the absolute man.

Hope beyond hope he sticks around when Barca and Real come calling.

20 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

i dont want to be hyperbolic, as i cant in any way argue he is the most "successful" manager we have had since i have supported Villa (maybe one day...who knows :P )

however, i do honestly think he is the best manager we have had since i started supporting Villa, which was the early 90's.

We will probably have ups and downs, i dont want to be negative, but its the Villa in me, we had all this hyperbowl last season with slippy, ie "Villa will do this, Villa will do that this season",  we even had it a little in Smiths last season in charge to some degree (in the summer build up to the season), honestly i would just prefer us to temper our expectations, but at the same time be hopeful that Emery will get us firing this season, i would hate us as fans to have super high expectations, and be disappointed/calling emery out, because we were a little unrealistic (again), i would prefer us to be just....excited by doing well, or fairly well (ie: top 6 is a "hope", rather than an expectation), etc.

Anyway, my point is, i also love Emery, i think he is the best thing that could have happened for us, and i literally wouldnt change him for any manager in the world, i think he is literally perfect for us, a great man, and a great manager.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Not sure if this has already been posted, but:

I was having a look at this SkyBet "Fan Central" thing that keeps popping up on twitter. Essentially, they've polled 1400 PL fans for their thoughts on the upcoming season. One of the questions is where do they rank the other managers in the league from best the worst. According to the 1400 fans polled, Unai Emery is ranked, on average:

The 13th best manager in the league.

Seriously!? He's below the likes of Thomas Frank, Vincent Kompany, Roy Hodgson, Rob Edwards & Steve Cooper. I swear that there's a huge number of football fans that try to be controversial for the sake of it.

I wouldn’t worry about it mate. Probably better that way for us, we know what we have and how he operates and I think one thing is for sure he is seen as well above average by Villa fans, players and board. Most likely it’s opposition fans being a little bit scared and rightly so of what he is building and how quickly and expertly he is doing it.

19 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

I was having a look at this SkyBet "Fan Central" thing that keeps popping up on twitter. Essentially, they've polled 1400 PL fans for their thoughts on the upcoming season. One of the questions is where do they rank the other managers in the league from best the worst. According to the 1400 fans polled, Unai Emery is ranked, on average:

Seriously!? He's below the likes of Thomas Frank, Vincent Kompany, Roy Hodgson, Rob Edwards & Steve Cooper. I swear that there's a huge number of football fans that try to be controversial for the sake of it.

They're not being controversial, just stupid. They read their websites etc. and are told what to think rather than actually look at the facts.

I wouldn't worry about it though, we have one of the best managers in the league and we know it.

Edited by picicata

18 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

No it's just a normal media thing where it panders to those who watch their top 6 team every week and are absolutely oblivious to everything else

What percentage of those 1400 are man utd fans who think he was shit at Arsenal? I'd guess its high

17 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

I really like that Luis Miguel Echegaray. I don't think I've ever seen anything he's said that I've disagreed with. 

The timing has worked out perfectly with him becoming a more prominent media figure as we sign more and more South American and Spanish players too. Maybe it's why he's become more visible. Either way, it certainly helps having him as a bridge as we hopefully get more fans in those areas of the world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, picicata said:

They're not being controversial, just stupid. They read their websites etc. and are told what to think rather than actually look at the facts.

I wouldn't worry about it though, we have one of the best managers in the league and we know it.

Yep. Same clueless arses who say Newcastle will cope fine in Europe and league whilst we'll struggle. Yeah, that well seasoned European campaigner Eddie Howe with his kick and rush high energy football will thrive against the games elite while poor inexperienced average Unai will wonder how to cope 🙄

Â