Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/04/2023 at 06:55, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Growing up in the 90s, people of my age will probably agree, fighting for 4th-8th is where I feel we should be, historically as a club. Its where I’ve always thought is our place in the food chain. Before Chelsea and City completely changed football, I think im right in saying we were the 4th most successful club in England. You’d have some good seasons, and poor seasons of course, but a club our size should never have sunk as much as we did; allowing for other clubs to steal a march.

Anyway, The fact he has us back there within his first 6 months of being here is pretty remarkable.

That was the Doug Ellis effect, failing to realize that football was changing, followed by the Randy Lerner effect, giving up after a bright start...

Unai does have us back within 6 months, but he was merely the final piece to the puzzle. You can't overlook what NSWE have done over five years with infrastructure and buying players. This group of players always had more in them; it just took a while to find the manager who could get the most out of them. Now we have that.

• Like 2

On 23/04/2023 at 20:02, TomC said:

followed by the Randy Lerner effect

In retrospect it was the managerial choice here. We could've set ourselves up to be a modern club but we went for the throw back control freak as manager. When he quit, it turned out he hadn't built anything but his own ego. We needed our Wenger, we got Mike Basset. 

The club is better set for sustained success now than it ever was under that team. Unai the key component. 

• Like 2

Just watched the pre Fulham presser, his English is vastly improved. He speaks so well, I think I have a little man crush, even though he does remind of the Count from Sesame Street. One, ha, ha, ha, 

18 hours ago, Dale said:

In retrospect it was the managerial choice here. We could've set ourselves up to be a modern club but we went for the throw back control freak as manager. When he quit, it turned out he hadn't built anything but his own ego. We needed our Wenger, we got Mike Basset. 

The club is better set for sustained success now than it ever was under that team. Unai the key component. 

I agree that O'Neill was part of the problem...that whole series of events is what extinguished Lerner's enthusiasm (and willingness to dip into his pocketbook).

I think everyone would agree that NSWE are better than Lerner, and Unai is better than O'Neill.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ftdyemrunxmxo2itn4

Off topic but Mamoa was in my local pub about a month ago. Drunk and obnoxious loud. One woman customer called him arrogant f***wit. His 5 foot nothing minder from Cheshunt was cool though. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Haha 1

42 points from 20 games

2.1 points per game

65% win percentage .

26 points clear of relegation 

Scored in 22 games in a row. 

I am going to be demanding . We want more Unai . You can do better 🤣😍😍

• Like 2

Missed the game this evening due to coaching commitments but managed to keep an eye on the score line whilst I was there . This guy Unai is truly remarkable in what he’s doing and done in such a short time , the belief he’s instilled in the squad , the attention to detail in tempo and play patterns . Love this guy he’s already giving us all we wanted ! Let the good times roll and UTFV !

Â