Unai Emery

PeterSw

13 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Apples and oranges.

Saunders, 2 league cups a league title and a European cup in all but name and also produced the best Villa side I have ever seen in 1977

Emery has a while to go before he hits the Heights of the maestro but based on today’s performance he really has no ceiling. 

I felt like crying today at times because I honestly believe I’ve started to witness the start of something very special like it was back then. Sometimes the planets align and truly special things happen. I’m over the moon for my two sons who may well get to see the Aston Villa I’ve always spoken about.

FA Cup priority

Great post 👍

When you've seen success it's good to appreciate the younger generation,  including my own have never seen anything other than final loses. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Great post 👍

When you've seen success it's good to appreciate the younger generation,  including my own have never seen anything other than final loses. 

If we can all have a taste of some of that glory again🙏 it’s quite intoxicating if I recall 😎

• Like 1

We need to take a sample of his DNA and clone him, this way we can always benefit from his beauty.

Joking apart, Purslow and Co need to look at what he has done and try and line up a list of managers who have similar styles. Watched the Brighton game today and they are very similar to us tactically, Emery is the master but we need to look forward and build on him while we have him. He needs options from the bench and we need options for when he goes.

I can't bare the thought of him leaving and us having to spin the wheel of misfortune to get another manager,  we need a plan that outlasts this beautiful creature, Emery. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Apples and oranges.

Saunders, 2 league cups a league title and a European cup in all but name and also produced the best Villa side I have ever seen in 1977

Emery has a while to go before he hits the Heights of the maestro but based on today’s performance he really has no ceiling. 

I felt like crying today at times because I honestly believe I’ve started to witness the start of something very special like it was back then. Sometimes the planets align and truly special things happen. I’m over the moon for my two sons who may well get to see the Aston Villa I’ve always spoken about.

FA Cup priority

^^^^^^^

THIS 

Different times, different circumstances. But still some similarities. Saunders, like Emery, had a clear idea of how he wanted his team to play, and he got them doing it like a well-oiled machine. Most importantly, they had MASSIVE team spirit, camaraderie and self-belief, no prima donnas - and I'm seeing that again. But for the modern game, you need more than that, and Unai has it - most importantly, tactical knowledge and flexibility. I've never seen a Villa boss so smart at reading a game and knowing how and when to make changes. We got lucky. REALLY lucky. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

^^^^^^^

THIS 

Different times, different circumstances. But still some similarities. Saunders, like Emery, had a clear idea of how he wanted his team to play, and he got them doing it like a well-oiled machine. Most importantly, they had MASSIVE team spirit, camaraderie and self-belief, no prima donnas - and I'm seeing that again. But for the modern game, you need more than that, and Unai has it - most importantly, tactical knowledge and flexibility. I've never seen a Villa boss so smart at reading a game and knowing how and when to make changes. We got lucky. REALLY lucky. 

Quite simply Mike,, they are both winners, decades apart but moulded from very similar iron

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Quite simply Mike,, they are both winners, decades apart but moulded from very similar iron

Yep, that's it. They both had this steely determination, an obsession with winning. And an ability to infect the players with it. 

• Like 1

30+ years of following Villa, this is closing in on the Coca Cola Cup and MON Europe times. We are amazing, he is amazing, simply incredible.

His coaching is world class - a tactical powerhouse. The three amigos - Tyrone, McGinn and Ollie Watkins, all operating on completely different levels. All 3 of whom wasted under the previous mug.

His tactical nouse matched by how much he gets it. Every interview, every time he speaks, the fans, the gratitude, repetitions and demands. A man of his word.

I absolutely love the Sultan of Unai. World class is an understatement. 

• Like 3

I've not commented much in this thread because there's just not that much to say that hasn't been said already. 

What a difference he's made since he came in. What a great run of results we've had. I thought Newcastle might be where the wheels start to come off but instead we absolutely destroyed them. That'll give the team so much confidence going into the harder games we have remaining this season (as if they needed it).

Everything is going so well for us that I'm getting genuinely worried that the top teams are going to try and buy all our players. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Everything is going so well for us that I'm getting genuinely worried that the top teams are going to try and buy all our players. 

We're a top team, certainly no longer a selling club. Most clubs will buckle at 100m offers, only a select few can absorb that kinda loss.

Edited by ccfcman
  • Like 1

The discipline in the team, in all areas just seems so much better than anything I’ve seen for a long, long time, perhaps for the first time in my life in fact.

It feels like we’re catching teams offside more often whilst not being caught ourselves as often, it feels like we’re picking up less yellow cards and giving away less fouls, obviously passing percentages must be up, possession is up, XG must be better, every single thing about us looks and feels better, it’s marginally short of miraculous.

• Like 2

Honestly, this is probably the best I have ever felt as a Villa fan from the early 90s. 

The fact you can see every single player knowing what they are meant to be doing, where they are meant to be, who they are meant to pass too and when those cycles of play happen, is utterly fantastic. 

The improvement on nearly every player that other managers have had at their disposal is night and day. 

Long may it continue, UTV. 

• Like 2

Â