Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Going about his business with little or no fuss at all. Can you imagine the previous incumbent if he had us in 7th place right now? Totally nauseating with fans and the media.

Emery is just perfect and I’m not sure if we’re currently running on fumes right now, but the players are giving absolutely everything and clearly loving this journey. Whatever position we finish in, it’s setting us up nicely for next season and I’m so grateful we’re not in that mess below us.

Looking forward to games again, looking at the table/fixtures and having all the nerves that goes with being in the mix towards the top end. It’s been a while but boy I’ve missed it.

“Vamos de nuevo”

That's a great point. The media would be short stroking it all over the place lauding the "elite" job their boy Gerrard was doing and linking him to the Plop job with every breath. Villa itself would be a complete afterthought. 

Spared from that.

• Thanks 1

The great thing about Emery is that in our hunt for European football, as most fans on here and elsewhere are getting completely carried away with talk of catching Newcastle and Spurs.  In all his interviews he is downplaying the possibility of European football, that it will be extremely difficult.

On 31/03/2023 at 14:10, Villaphan04 said:

As a coach myself, I love how he is always looking around at other clubs / playing styles and is analyzing them to allow for new ideas to influence him. He then can tactically tweak parts of what he is doing in training and in games from this. Always being open to learning from others, compared to some of our former managers. 

Its one thing looking at a game, its another analysing the detail of it.....its like looking at the Mona Lisa, and only seeing a woman.

No disrespect to any previous manager, but this is different gravy.

He is cerebral, he sees things other managers don't, or don't appreciate the relevance of.

He has the ability, to change things in an instance, just needs more options to maximise that.

We have rarely had a manager with this level of football intellect, but he also is aware of the power of humility and that could be contagious, which is good.

Getting this over to your students, is tricky, but he seems to have a bunch, who are all in.

No one wants to get ahead of ourselves, but its hard to not spot a bright future.....we just need to sign some players who can elevate us even further.

PS So far we have had a blip of 3 games and we have stayed with it........we must stay with it, if it happens again.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dubbs said:

After last 2 games and getting married on Monday, this has been a pretty good few days for me so far.  Thank you UE!

two out of three aint a bad return for you then 😉

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

No more than 3 losses in a row in his entire career.

Already managed it with us though lol.

I should add these are league games only btw. Still not bad given that's 658 games.

It's 7 times total he's had 3 straight defeats. Besides us it's twice with Almeria, three times with Sevilla and once with Arsenal.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

What I like about Emery is that like Smith he's a bit of a streaky manager except he only seems to do winning streaks. :lol:

He was about to send Emi back to Argentina after the Arsenal result.

I'm sure all managers hate losing, but he seems to take it as an aggrievance. Bruce blamed anyone but himself. Smith didn't seem to realize how he lost. Gerrard came just short of saying, "If only I was on the pitch, we would have won."

But Emery knows why we lost and becomes hyper fixated on the 'why' part of losing.

• Like 4

I think he'll be unhappy with the way we gave them a chance at the end.

It was a great bit of defending by Watkins in the end, but they hadn't had the ball since they went down to 10.

We played like we were already 2 up for most of the half, which got frustrating before the goal to be honest. Then as soon as we score, we gave them a few chances for balls into the box. It's to be expected, but I don't think Emery will be happy with it.

Â