Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

The "kick it long" boomers needs to pipe it down.

It will be possession football and it will be great.

Unai knows what he is doing.

I listened to MOMS podcast about going to the FCG and talking to some of the coaches. The coaches asked to pass on to supporters to be calm about playing out from the back. First goal was playing out from back then Luiz turned his man and was off up the wing.

They also said not to yell shoot to Luiz on corners as McPhee had special set play from corner wait and see. Didn't see game live but hearing may have been the handball should've been penalty?

If he'd been with us at the beginning of the season with this form after 38 games we'd finish on 71 points, which in the past 5 seasons would have got European places every season, champions league 4 out of 5, and 3rd place twice. We really do have an elite manager.

• Like 2

After the Leicester, Man City and Arsenal losses where we'd let in 11 goals, he really wasn't happy with how loose we were playing.

Since then 3 wins and a draw with only a soft penalty conceded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm nearly 40. Good luck trying to convince me we have had a better manager in my lifetime.

Nearly 47. We haven't. I dislike MON for several reasons so the best manager since I followed was Gregory

• Like 3

If he'd have been with us since August, we could have qualified for Europe  

I still have absolutely no f***** clue how we got knocked out the FA Cup though. He is a cup winning manager. Hopefully we will give the cups a proper good go next season.

We can win something under him.

• Like 1

I agree with the posters above; I'm 36 and I think he's the best manager I can recall. The aim should be for him to stay for several years; what we don't want to be doing is sacking him in November after an average start. So it's imperative we back him smartly even if we can't back him with the biggest of budgets, and also make sure he has the non-playing-staff tools he needs.  

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Best villa manager in my lifetime 

Same. By far the most enjoyable. The 3 consecutive 6th places ( i think ) under O’Neill was a great achievement but the football wasn’t half turgid. 

Just too add to the above, which I agree with (I’m 44)

I can’t remember a time when we have ever played a possession based game, we’ve been pretty much a counter attacking team for as long as I can remember. It’s just incredible what he’s doing. 

If you think how big of a challenge it must be to turn Gerrardball into what Emery wants with the same players, you half expect 12 months of pain during the transition, but instead of that he’s delivering results that have put us 3rd in the form table since his arrival. 

To completely change our style and still pick up points in the process is truly remarkable. 

8 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just too add to the above, which I agree with (I’m 44)

I can’t remember a time when we have ever played a possession based game, we’ve been pretty much a counter attacking team for as long as I can remember. It’s just incredible what he’s doing. 

If you think how big of a challenge it must be to turn Gerrardball into what Emery wants with the same players, you half expect 12 months of pain during the transition, but instead of that he’s delivering results that have put us 3rd in the form table since his arrival. 

To completely change our style and still pick up points in the process is truly remarkable. 

A mark of the imprint he leaves mentally on a player too i think . He knew they were struggling a bit at home, were pandering to the crowd a bit and rushing their work. He’s took the sting out of that and got them to be far more relaxed. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I listened to MOMS podcast about going to the FCG and talking to some of the coaches. The coaches asked to pass on to supporters to be calm about playing out from the back. First goal was playing out from back then Luiz turned his man and was off up the wing.

They also said not to yell shoot to Luiz on corners as McPhee had special set play from corner wait and see. Didn't see game live but hearing may have been the handball should've been penalty?

We will concede some goals by playing out from the back but that's completely fine because it's better than the alternative which is give away the ball and the initiative.

The times players has ignored Unai's instructions and listened to the fans it has backfired. We haave lost control and the initiative of the game and conceded goals.

Edited by Pinebro

12 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Because the points comparison won’t totally go away with some caution having been applied previously about getting carried away with Emery when it’s put forward -

Emery 14 games, 26 points.

After 16 games, Gerrard had 26 points. His next 22 matches brought 18 points.

I honestly think there’s a good chance of picking up 18 more points in the final 11 games of the season, at which point the points comparison can die it’s death.

Because there’s **** all else you can compare between the two.

Hair styles? Dress sense? Look me in the eye o meter? …….. 👹

Â