Unai Emery

PeterSw

18 minutes ago, robby b said:

1️⃣3️⃣ / 1️⃣3️⃣   

✅

I just read that since Unai became our manager we've scored in every single league game, all 13 of them! I like that! Blimey. How un-Villa-like. And even better, no other team has scored in all of theirs in that time. 

City and Arsenal haven't scored in all theirs?

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Not defending Gerrard, as i think Emery's system is vastly better in every way, but the possession stats dont tell the story really, Gerrard's possession in the 22/23 season was as follows:

image.png.233296ea3ad6ff0f107ccd327b690919.png

Emery's average Possession, as per your list, is 50.3%.

Gerrard had better possession in 6/11 games, or 54.5% of games.

Emery had more possession in 7/12 games, or 58.3% of games.

So from Gerrards 11 games in 22/23, and Emery's 12 games in 22/23, the possession stats are basically exactly the same (50% vs 50.3%).

Anyway, doesnt take away from the point that i prefer Emery 100%, my point was more that these kind of stats put out there dont always reflect what they purport to reflect, although i do agree Emery's possession is more effective, intelligent, easier on the eye etc etc, but he isnt really having "more" of it, Emery is just doing better with what possession he does have, than Gerrard did.

I hope you get what i mean.

This did shock me. I must have been thinking of last season or some other period but I'm sure I remember a run of games where we consistently had less possession. 

Seems my memory may be playing up. What is important, as you mentioned, is the respective quality of that possession.

The possession we had under Gerrard was consistently non-threatening. Towards the bottom of the league for xG and rarely worrying the opposition.  If we didn't score directly from a corner, we weren't going to score. 13 games in a row we've scored under Emery,  with most of them being from open play. The possession has purpose. And yes I get what you mean. 

Thanks for highlighting the other side of the stats. 

• Like 1

Just watched latest training video, noticed James Wright, Feeney, Swinkels, Seb Revan, Kesler Hayden, Raikhy, Kadan Young and Delcan Frith, so not as if Emery is ignoring youth, in terms of first team bench the academy players closet to that out on loan, and other very highly rated ones still very young, Kadan making the bench earlier in the season a rare exception for someone his age.

50 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I just watched his pre match interview, looked like he'd been playing in training, also I wonder what he has done to his left eye, looked bruised.

He got a bit 'too demanding' with Doris the tea lady and she wasn't having it! 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I just watched his pre match interview, looked like he'd been playing in training, also I wonder what he has done to his left eye, looked bruised.

Could explain Dendoncker's hand injury... 🤣

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Looked like a mosquito type bite just under his eye to me.. I’ve had one and that is what it looked like..

9 hours ago, catanzaro said:

Looked like a mosquito type bite just under his eye to me.. I’ve had one and that is what it looked like..

I noticed the bruise by his eye too but I was gnat sure how he got it either...

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Haha 2

On 16/03/2023 at 11:56, StuL said:

Thanks. I only saw the comments about the extra GK. I still think it would be more beneficial to have a youth player there. Surely Kesler-Hayden could be a useful addition?

I share youre thoughts. I may have read into the comments too much but it sounded like he was saying if you get a spot on the bench it's because you've earned it, not because we just have one available. Hard to argue with.

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve had so many average managers over the years I’m still getting my head around Unai Emery being in charge.

I’m the same, it’s sound really stupid but at every game since he arrived I just watch him walking to his seat thinking ‘wow’

Â