Unai Emery

PeterSw

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yet another massive rebuild coming I think.

The 3 year cycle begins yet again. Except this time we have a better manager but we can't keep making this mistake.

The mistakes have come in the changes of managers. We had great stability with Smith, a half decent squad that needed a new manager who could take us to the next level. Gerrard coming in was a huge mistake.

At some point down the line Emery will leave, whatever he builds here the person who follows has to be able to continue it by using the players who are here and agree to the model of recruitment. 

We have to stop hiring managers that need a complete overhaul of squads in order to play their system because it takes 1-2 season just to do that and if it fails you are looking at close to a 4-5 year window wasted.

Emery will do good things and have the finances to work with, let's hope the board don't mess it up when all is said and done.

• Like 4

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unai passionate about controlling games. I fear we have a load of squad members who lack the ability to play in a side which does that consistently at this level.

Luckily, I'd say our two first choice central midfielders are well equipped to play a 'controlling' style.

Ramsey? Not sure he's good enough in tight areas.

McGinn? Same as Ramsey, although I thought he played very well today.

Bailey? He can be dangerous, but not intelligent enough to know when to just keep the ball.

Watkins? Really struggles with fluid moves.

Buendia? I love him, but he's certainly not helping us control games at the moment.

59 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Hopefully Sawiris will back him this summer. 

This is key because he needs chance to play HIS players. 

I love hearing Unai speak. His passion comes through and when he's pissed off he let's it show - which is how it should be. They're all grown men and if they can't accept the hard truths of a poor performance they shouldn't be in the game. 

It is abundantly clear that he is trying to get us to play football. I mean, proper football. I love what he's trying to do and he will see as we see that some of these players are just not capable of it and, hopefully, they will be cleared out in the summer and replaced with proper footballers. 

Coutinho, Buendia, Moreno, Luiz, Kamara - they'll survive. Half of that starting lineup will be replaced although, I think Watkins may make it if he keeps scoring like he has been for Unai.

Some people criticise some of his substitutions but I like how he mixes it up and adds fresh legs to the team. 

Our second goal was a proper footballing goal. On a couple of occasions prior to that goal, Moreno sprinted down the left but players failed to play him in. He trotted back gesturing about those players not being on the same wavelength. He gets what Unai wants. 

I think that Unai has the potential to be the best manager we've ever had. I hope the board back him financially. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s the first time I’ve seen him rattled since he took over. He’s not happy at all.

Give him a few more weeks. Villa will have him get that doughy shape that was late stage Deano and Gerrard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

I don't think you should compromise your core beliefs as a coach. How will the players react now? He buried them after Arsenal for playing negatively then tells them to go back to basics - sit deep and nick some points. It is going to lead to problems later on. You must be consistent and reinforce these principles. We will never improve by pandering and reverting to type.

I agree with this. Especially against teams we should be beating. Once managers resort to the ‘pragmatic’ approach it’s normally downhill from there. I do think there’s a place for it against much better teams though. 

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

The mistakes have come in the changes of managers. We had great stability with Smith, a half decent squad that needed a new manager who could take us to the next level. Gerrard coming in was a huge mistake.

At some point down the line Emery will leave, whatever he builds here the person who follows has to be able to continue it by using the players who are here and agree to the model of recruitment. 

We have to stop hiring managers that need a complete overhaul of squads in order to play their system because it takes 1-2 season just to do that and if it fails you are looking at close to a 4-5 year window wasted.

Emery will do good things and have the finances to work with, let's hope the board don't mess it up when all is said and done.

100% this...  We need to establish an identity for the club in terms of playing style and mentality, with a shortlist of players and staff to go after if there is a vacancy, so that the club doesn't miss a beat when someone leaves.

To his credit, Emery has used the entire squad at his disposal.  The ones he didn't rate or the ones who didn't want to be here were shipped out at the first opportunity.  The 2nd wave of the rebuilding will start this summer and he'll start shipping out the ones who aren't good enough, don't listen to his tactical instructions, or aren't a good cultural fit for his team's new identity.  All rumbling out of the club indicates a lot of money will be available for Emery to build with, so hopefully we'll start to see progress in September again.  

We have good players but we do not have consistent players. Unai needs to get rid of a few that we might not have seen coming. 

It shows that it is not just the coaching, its the mentality and focus as well of the players  

1 to 22 we have players that on their day can be really good. But no matter who the manager is they cannot get consistency out of them  . 

So we have to sell and buy to change this. I do not think anyone is safe this summer other than Kamara and Carlos. 

Theres arguments to be had with all of the others on whether they give us exactly what we need and if they give it  often enough. 

I'm not worried about Emery at all. Think it will just take him some time to get his ideas across.

Don't even think it's the player quality either. I'm sure a few of these players who are frustrating him at the moment will end up being key players for him. Will just take longer with some of them to get them playing his way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

The more i listen to this, the more i like him.

He is gonna tear this team up i think.

I felt for him when the commentator asked him if he 'expected a lull.' As an English teacher I haven't taught that to a student ever. 

I love him. He knows his shit. I think we played pretty well today though. I think he's overreacting a little. The future is bright under him. I can't believe we appointed Steven Gerrard as a manager before him. What a joke. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I felt for him when the commentator asked him if he 'expected a lull.' As an English teacher I haven't taught that to a student ever. 

I love him. He knows his shit. I think we played pretty well today though. I think he's overreacting a little. The future is bright under him. I can't believe we appointed Steven Gerrard as a manager before him. What a joke. 

I thought that, what a dumb word to use.

Edited by Tom13

Â