Unai Emery

PeterSw

9 hours ago, AV82 said:

After the shit we've had to endure this season that second half was a breath of (slightly stale) fresh air. We responded. We made changes. The game flipped on it's head and we could've easily won it. That's **** progress baby!

Interesting that he said we still didn’t play the way he wants us too in the second half but he is was happy that the players played with heart which is needed at times. A lot of managers would have really talked up the second half when to be honest although we gave it all we didn’t really create too much. 

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I’m sure of is that Emery will not continue to play players who aren’t performing, unlike Gerrard.

Digne, Bailey, Watkins and even Buendia had terrible games last night, I’d like to think there will be some of them who’ll be on the bench for next couple of games.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Wolves are bettter than what their league positions suggests

Definitely. They’ve got players that would probably walk in to our first team. I think them losing Podence at half time helped us. Had he stayed on the pitch I reckon they could have caught us on the break. Luckily Traore’s shit.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Definitely. They’ve got players that would probably walk in to our first team. I think them losing Podence at half time helped us. Had he stayed on the pitch I reckon they could have caught us on the break. Luckily Traore’s shit.

Was thinking the same, I remember the commentary saying he had a knock before game so was not expected to even start. Luckily Traore provides nothing but a sprint with a defender.

Emery got some things wrong with the set up yesterday, but wasn’t afraid to change them. Cash in midfield was obviously a disaster (brought about by injuries and his good cameo against Spurs) and the full backs’ attacking threat was pretty minimal. 

Taking Digne off was a bold move: risks compromising his relationship with the player but underlining that the manager won’t put up with such below par performances.

For yesterday night’s disappointment, I think it’ll help the manager get to know his team. It prob confirmed what he already knew re: our weaknesses.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When you look at the players they have, they've got talent. 

Ait Nouri, Semedo, Neves, Nunes, Podence, Guedes, Cunha. You could make an argument for all of them being better than what we have in certain positions. 

Just seems they were bringing players in, without any clear understanding of what system best utilises them. They have a good manager now & I'd not be surprised to see them comfortably move away from the bottom 3. 

Back on topic, I think it's clear we need better quality in a couple of positions. On last nights showing, Digne concerned me the most, I thought he was horrific. I also don't see Cash as the answer to fill that Midfield slot with Ramsey & McGinn missing, so I'm hoping Emery has someone in mind as it's clear Sanson isn't going to be that player. 

It's very early days but already he's showed he can react to a game, make changes and with a few of his 'own' players on board, I think we will steadily progress. 

The summer transfer window will be pivotal. 

• Like 1

It's going to happen, people get things wrong and that's what happened last night.

He tried to change things and it got us back in the game.

It's been a while since we had someone who would make the changes and they work out.

2 new starting players in January, ideally a forward and a wide forward, the return of Carlos and JJ and I think we will be very well placed for the rest of the season.

I'm sure this summers targets are already identified and will change a little throughout the rest of the season and we are actively looking at moving other players on to release the money required to improve us.

The 5 year projects each manager talk of I doubt our owners want now, I think they will look to expedite this now we have a top manager.

Think the players took wolves too softly 1st half and underestimated how good they are. They are a good side were just not performing under lange. 1nd half when they realised this wouldnt be such a easy game we dominated 2nd half.

If we started 1st half better and held the ball slowed the game down think we would have won that

We will be alot better at the custard bowl thats for sure and hopefulky ahve carlos back and maybe a few additions.

49 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

First emery game where we have been the favourite team prior to kick-off. He hopefully has learnt a lot from that game. The subs were positive and made at the right times. Gerrard would have thrown dendoncker on in the 85th min as an attacking sub.

It was an interesting tactical battle.

Wolves manager was very proactive.

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Wonder who else?  Obviously Sanson but trying to think who else.  Southampton loanies don’t count.  Nakamba would be one

Guilbert, traore, possibly a few of the older youngsters like finn azaz who is still injured, archer then further speculation mcginn, Chambers, davis and possibly a few big earners that are not performing how he wants them to ?

I cant really see more than 3 or 4 none active for 1st team as would damage confidence 

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

The thing I like about last night was the change he made at half time addressed the balance of the game and put us on top. The dog head manager, then noticed this and made his substitutions which brought them more into the second half but then after five minutes of this Emery  a triple substitution that swung it back in our favour. This is somewhat different than standing on the touchline with your arms folded, staring at people.

The problem was none of them would stare back. 

Also to note - as unhappy I've seen him so far during that first half. No energy and got blitzed from the Wolves midfield from the start. 

But all of the best rotate - just a shame the squad is so thin that rotation is very risky right now.

Â