Unai Emery

PeterSw

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think that was smiths 1st season wasnt it? I rrally wanna bwat thwm at villa park we haven't beaten them there in years

2nd. we lost there in our first season back in the PL

the time we beat them was during lockdown so kinda doesnt count

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Can he still play? Surely a one game contract lol.

Villa scores for Villa at Villa Park. 

The ship has sailed now, but there was a time when I’d loved to have seen us with Dean Ashton and David Villa up front. 

Spoiler

and Sean Connery as manager. :ph34r:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Buendia on working under Unai Emery: "As soon as they came here, they told us we needed to win more points away from home and playing a top side like Tottenham team away and winning, we are very happy.

So he came in and said “win more away from home”, and they did. I guess it’s the WAY he said it?

Gerrard said stuff like "<insert team here> should beat us". Unai came in and said "uh, no, actually" and the players were like "oh right, ok". It's that simple.

58 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Not to piss on your bonfire, but no one actually said that. Several people, myself included said that while we welcomed the appointment, we HOPED the appointment would not be another Remi Garde. I don't remember anyone actually being against UE's appointment.

Same. Nobody here compared Emery to Garde. I’d confidently say not one did. His appointment was met with huge optimism. 

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

If I remember rightly, it was coming to the end of lockdown and grounds has started allowing fans back in. Not full capacity but enough Spurs fans were there for us to hear them booing on TV. We went on to beat Chelsea next in the last game.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

His in game decision making is man and boy stuff as regards him and Gerrard. Bailey hooked for Cash on the right wing and McGinn on the left , Gerrard doesn’t see that in a million years. Not a chance. 

Too busy looking for eye contact.

• Like 1

He's a proper manager. Not everything will go well, but ****, you can see he's thinking about the game and making the players work the way he needs to achieve.

It's insane that we've seen so little of that kind of thing at Villa Park in recent years.

Like, the things we're doing, they aren't that revolutionary. He's making the team hyper organised. The team defends like a machine. But it bloody works.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Gerrard said stuff like "<insert team here> should beat us". Unai came in and said "uh, no, actually" and the players were like "oh right, ok". It's that simple.

It was worse than "they should beat us"

Gerrard said Chelsea should wipe the floor with us.

• Shocked 1

25 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

It was the first game fans were allowed back into the stadium

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

He's a proper manager. Not everything will go well, but ****, you can see he's thinking about the game and making the players work the way he needs to achieve.

It's insane that we've seen so little of that kind of thing at Villa Park in recent years.

Arguably not for 20+ years

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

His in game decision making is man and boy stuff as regards him and Gerrard. Bailey hooked for Cash on the right wing and McGinn on the left , Gerrard doesn’t see that in a million years. Not a chance. 

Yep, I love that he’s actually paying attention to the game in real time and makes changes depending on what is happening on the pitch.  

Sure sometimes it won’t work or backfire but at least he goes with his instinct and doesn’t just freeze if we are getting dominated on the pitch. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The idea is to attract more of the opposition players into our 1/3rd of the pitch so when we turn over the ball there is more open space for us to counter attack into. It's very intelligent way to set up away from home. He's an incredibly talented tactical coach. 

Agreed mate. So lucky to have him

Â