Unai Emery

PeterSw

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The use of six at the back is pretty brilliant tbh. Just frustrating the opposition 

What I love the most mate is that it isn’t purely defensive. Under former managers the 6/10 behind the ball was just “holding on”

With this guy he wants to attack but has everyone doing their jobs when we don’t have the ball and everyone seems to know their roles. 

It’s flipping beautiful to watch.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

What I love the most mate is that it isn’t purely defensive. Under former managers the 6/10 behind the ball was just “holding on”

With this guy he wants to attack but has everyone doing their jobs when we don’t have the ball and everyone seems to know their roles. 

It’s flipping beautiful to watch.

The idea is to attract more of the opposition players into our 1/3rd of the pitch so when we turn over the ball there is more open space for us to counter attack into. It's very intelligent way to set up away from home. He's an incredibly talented tactical coach. 

• Like 1

I almost don’t want us to bring in anyone in the January window, would love to definitively know how good this squad can be under someone of Emery’s calibre. 

Obviously if the chance to bring in a player of Kamara’s ability for a bargain price presented itself, I’d want us to go for him.

But at the same time, bringing in no additional first teamers would give us solid evidence of how good the majority of these players are, which has been a point of contention over the last few years. There would be no “Ah, but we only finished in the top half because we brought in X in January - he’s been carrying us since he came in…”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I almost don’t want us to bring in anyone in the January window, would love to definitively know how good this squad can be under someone of Emery’s calibre. 

Obviously if the chance to bring in a player of Kamara’s ability for a bargain price presented itself, I’d want us to go for him.

But at the same time, bringing in no additional first teamers would give us solid evidence of how good the majority of these players are, which has been a point of contention over the last few years. There would be no “Ah, but we only finished in the top half because we brought in X in January - he’s been carrying us since he came in…”.

I can't see more than one signing or at most two this window 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think this squad is good enough for top ten and have underperformed for the last season due to mitigating circumstances. (Slippy G)

• Like 2

Got to be honest....at 1pm and seeing no Martinez or Cash in the backline I didn't fancy us in the slightest. So of course this armchair expert sees us ease to a clean sheet.

This is going to be the difference with his predecessor. Gerrard made baffling selections and didn't win games, Emery makes interesting calls and we comfortably win away to a top 6 team.

Could get used to that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I remember some people when he was linked suggesting he would be another Remi Garde :D 

Not to piss on your bonfire, but no one actually said that. Several people, myself included said that while we welcomed the appointment, we HOPED the appointment would not be another Remi Garde. I don't remember anyone actually being against UE's appointment.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Not to piss on your bonfire, but no one actually said that. Several people, myself included said that while we welcomed the appointment, we HOPED the appointment would not be another Remi Garde. I don't remember anyone actually being against UE's appointment.

"Several people, myself included said while we welcomed the appointment, we HOPED the appointment would not be another worst Villa manager in the history of the Premier League era, but I never said I was against his appointment."

Baffling that you're even trying to defend the original statement here...  "I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't turn out to be the biggest disaster in the history of the club, then I'll say I told you so."

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

"Several people, myself included said while we welcomed the appointment, we HOPED the appointment would not be another worst Villa manager in the history of the Premier League era, but I never said I was against his appointment."

Baffling that you're even trying to defend the original statement here...  "I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't turn out to be the biggest disaster in the history of the club, then I'll say I told you so."

Look, it was a throwaway comment, made when he was one of 3 heavily linked managers. You wanna see how I felt about his appointment, read my first post on this thread (pg 13). 

My point was that the original post was trying to scoff at critics that didn't exist.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I loved emerys passion for the 2nd goal. That win meant a lot to him

About time we beat these cretins

We beat these cretins not long ago with Dean Smith as manager. 😂. But ‘twas a fantastic victory.

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We beat these cretins not long ago with Dean Smith as manager. 😂. But ‘twas a fantastic victory.

I think that was smiths 1st season wasnt it? I rrally wanna bwat thwm at villa park we haven't beaten them there in years

Â