Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Buendia on working under Unai Emery: "As soon as they came here, they told us we needed to win more points away from home and playing a top side like Tottenham team away and winning, we are very happy.

So he came in and said “win more away from home”, and they did. I guess it’s the WAY he said it?

Must’ve looked them in the eyes when he said it.

8 minutes ago, Adman said:

Agreed, wasn't that a critism of his time in Spain- that he didn't beat the weaker sides enough?

Can't say I have the data to hand but it was something that was mentioned about his Villarreal tenure anyway, not so much in his other jobs as far as I recall. It's why I'm interested more so than expectant that we'll see these results continue against weaker sides, different type of games and there's still work to be done regardless. Great start to build on though!

30 minutes ago, Starscrem_Prime said:

Going from the last guy to Emery is like swapping your pocket calculator for a NASA supercomputer.

It’s like going from snogging Karen on the checkout at Erdington Lidl to marrying Blake Lively*

*insert your hottest lady/man of choice here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, av1 said:

Mate I just hope most of the fans realise this. I heard some right grumpy shit at VP on Boxing Day. 

We could beat Man City 4-0 and people would still moan. 
I’m positive some fans go to games as an outlet for their built up rage and frustration 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Emery's first 4 PL games were Manure, Brighton, Liverpool and Spurs, considering our luck historically versus Manure and Spurs, and how good Brighton are, if you had told me Emery would win three out of those 4, getting 9 points from the 12 available, i would have asked for you to be drug tested lol.

let this man sign whoever he wants in the transfer market, would love to see a team set up to play exactly how Emery wants, with a squad good enough to play it.

yeah it's such a fantastic return from those fixtures. Emery is the real deal. let's back him.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I'm so interested to see how we look against sides that we're not automatically considered underdogs against. 9 points from 12 against United, Brighton (a), Liverpool and Spurs (a) is astonishingly good going considering most we're treating this run as a free hit.

Really doesn't feel like your ordinary new manager bounce either. The guy is serious and you can actually tangibly see what he's trying to do.

3 wins from 4 in the PL full stop is great. but when you list the opposition like you just did it really makes for incredible reading.

in some ways, the real challenge is the next 4 against lesser sides, 3 of which at home, where teams are likely to sit back a bit more. if we can take 7 points from those i think we'll be looking in really good shape

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

We could beat Man City 4-0 and people would still moan. 
I’m positive some fans go to games as an outlet for their built up rage and frustration 

...and as an excuse to drink a lot of alcohol

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Buendia on working under Unai Emery: "As soon as they came here, they told us we needed to win more points away from home and playing a top side like Tottenham team away and winning, we are very happy.

So he came in and said “win more away from home”, and they did. I guess it’s the WAY he said it?

He's just convinced the players moreso on the importance of conjuring up 'a moment of magic'.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

He's informed them that they aren't good enough and he wants to replace them all as all real managers should. 

• Haha 1

I was certain we’d lose today, and not because I was being critical of Emery and any tactical decisions, but simply because we never win in London against a top six side. 
I was surprised to see Olsen in goal as I’m very much of the opinion that if your top players are available then you play them -  where the Premier league is concerned anyway. However I’m sure there is a good reason things were done this way. 
I’m surprised! I don’t know if this is something we should get used to, or whether it was a one off treat…. 

Just now, Tayls said:

I was certain we’d lose today, and not because I was being critical of Emery and any tactical decisions, but simply because we never win in London against a top six side. 
I was surprised to see Olsen in goal as I’m very much of the opinion that if your top players are available then you play them -  where the Premier league is concerned anyway. However I’m sure there is a good reason things were done this way. 
I’m surprised! I don’t know if this is something we should get used to, or whether it was a one off treat…. 

UTD at home for the first time in a million years, and Brighton and Spurs away suggests this isn’t a one off treat. 

I was so wrong about Poch being the dream appointment. This man is going to take us places. He’s had a horrible run of fixtures, and mostly had us looking the better side, despite some key absences.

We somehow have a very real shot at qualifying for Europe this season. Can’t wait to see what he does with this squad next season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, av1 said:

UTD at home for the first time in a million years, and Brighton and Spurs away suggests this isn’t a one off treat. 

Yep, beaten 3 out of the top 7 in 4 games with the same squad Gerrard had.

I was so worried about any potential new manager bounce being cancelled out by the difficulty of our fixtures, and he's gone and won 3 of the first 4 against top 7 opponents. Amazing to think just a couple of months ago things could feel this positive

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

It’s not even the results, it’s the manner of the performances, even in defeat we looked good and kinda matched Liverpool in most aspects except for finishing. 

New Manager bounce usually sees some fortunate goals and wins, perhaps our opener was a bit fortunate today but that aside we’ve been excellent value in all 5 matches under Emery so far, and against top level opposition.

Â