Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Lol. These arguments are so ridiculous. Who cares who scored however many goals? They were scored within the system Emery set up. Should we take away credit from Pep for what Haaland will end up scoring this season?

Also, if it makes you feel any better, his Villarreal reached the semi-final of the champions league with their top goal-scorer only reaching 16 last year in all competitions. Same amount Ollie scored in his first season with us.

Tbf Moreno missed like half the season

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't get this idea that he's a defensive manager, in his two seasons at The Yellow Submarine they were top scorers in La Liga other than the two Madrid teams and Barcelona, in his full season at Arsenal only Liverpool and Man City scored more, Paris Saint-Germain scored 108 goals when he won the league with them, in his last season with Sevilla they were fifth top scorers in La Liga, season before they were third top scorers, and in his first season with them they were fourth top scorers. Haven't looked as far back as when he was with Valencia, but going back almost ten years his teams have always been amongst the highest scorers in the league.

Totally agree. If anything, I worry (slightly) that he might not be defensive enough based on his records at Villarreal and Arsenal. An unmistakable theme in old critiques of Emery's management at Arsenal was that his defenses were leaky. Not saying I agree, but you find the complaints. Example:

Comparing Arsenal’s defensive record under Unai Emery and Mikel Arteta

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The article is extremely positive though, unlike the headline.

British sports journalism subediting practices -- just the worst and most deceitful I've ever seen. WTF is the problem with subediting ethics these days on English papers? Are these outsourcing subediting to prisons? 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

51 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

There's no big ego getting in the way, just an endless and relentless desire to improve every minute detail.

This is a proper, world class manager, have no doubts.

However, I'm not going to expect miracles straight away, it's going to take the players a little while to get used to his methods, and for some of the ideas to be communicated effectively, but when they do we are going to be one extremely tactically flexible team.

I can't wait to see what he can do with this squad of players, let alone with further investment.

What an endearing and appealing quality… so rare these days, it’s refreshing.

Edited by Jas10

48 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

One of the most successful European managers and The Telegraph call him “Arsenal failure”. 

British media are morons of the highest order… nepotism, bias and a complete lack of any form of ethics reigns supreme… sickening really…

Edited by Jas10

22 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Totally agree. If anything, I worry (slightly) that he might not be defensive enough based on his records at Villarreal and Arsenal. An unmistakable theme in old critiques of Emery's management at Arsenal was that his defenses were leaky. Not saying I agree, but you find the complaints. Example:

His one full year at Arsenal they allowed 51 goals. Ahead of them in 4th was Tottenham at 39.

• Like 1

So according to Mr Evans at The Athletic we made approaches a few weeks ago. Purslow flew to Spain after the Brentford game and it all got concluded very quickly with Jorge Menses. 

So I am assuming Unai has watched and knows the team from afar and will come in with an idea of what he needs to do initially to improve things. His backroom staff is still being sorted.

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

So according to Mr Evans at The Athletic we made approaches a few weeks ago. Purslow flew to Spain after the Brentford game and it all got concluded very quickly with Jorge Menses. 

So I am assuming Unai has watched and knows the team from afar and will come in with an idea of what he needs to do initially to improve things. His backroom staff is still being sorted.

Sounds like he was our first choice all along.

Â