Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

I’d imagine Dyche is nowhere near the statement signing the club want to make. 

Dyche gets a bad rep due to how he had to play with his resources at hand. Give me a team who will fight and bully a their way to a win right now.

Burnley also played some decent football at time. Dyche knew what they were and how to get that to compete.

Hes a big character and I’d be happy with him.

• Like 2

On 21/10/2022 at 21:01, nick76 said:

It’ll be interesting to see if we do hear whispers or will Villa be able to do one of their magical announcements where it comes out of the blue at some point.

I think we might be disappointed, when, we hear,I can't see anyone, worth his salt, taking this on.

Top managers, to win trophies, are not what we need right now, even if they wanted to come, which I don't believe they do.....that might be further down the line......We have a basic issues, problem, that needs to be fixed..

We are where Newcastle was last season......and it needs a pragmatic approach , like they had.

I think we still have delusions of grandeur, in some views and that we get us relegated.

I think we have made too many vanity signings in trying to rebuild the team, lets not make the same mistake, with a manager.

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

I think we might be disappointed, when, we hear,I can't see anyone, worth his salt, taking this on.

Top managers, to win trophies, are not what we need right now, even if they wanted to come, which I don't believe they do.....that might be further down the line......We have a basic issues, problem, that needs to be fixed..

We are where Newcastle was last season......and it needs a pragmatic approach , like they had.

I think we still have delusions of grandeur, in some views and that we get us relegated.

I think we have made too many vanity signings in trying to rebuild the team, lets not make the same mistake, with a manager.

I agree, we don't need a top manager now. We need a savior and someone to consolidate our PL status. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, sne said:

So the solution is to get someone in who is used to circling the drain, preferably someone with ginger pubes around his mouth?

No, I think there is middle ground to be found. I don’t know who that is but that is what we should aim for. 

• Like 2

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

No, I think there is middle ground to be found. I don’t know who that is but that is what we should aim for. 

Same here. We won't be getting the likes of Tuchel but in the step down from him to Dyche there is a whole world of football. And that's not me suggesting that Dyche is a terrible manager.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Interesting how people get on here and mention that useless manager XXX is available or something at that nature. Also surprised that Alex Bruce haven’t been mention in one those silly posts.

95E429EE-9832-4C05-B38D-88BBA5C9531F.gif.f7b0969396f9f49096d7579e01989664.gif

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't really know, because, I still think we have plenty of issues ,elsewhere.

I also, think now the dust is settling, we are not coming out of this in a good light.

We might be sure, as fans, That Steve had to go.......but the industry are not as happy with the manner of the exit, and that means getting a new guy, might be more difficult than we think. We as a club, have not come out of this well.

This job, for one reason or another, is not as attractive as it first looks.....A poison chalice, Might be a bit harsh, but its not far off.

Under the circumstances, we might not do any better than Sean Dyche......but we can't be sure, he would come, that's about where we are.

I don't think any manager worth his salt, will take the risk.

We need a massive turnaround in energy, will, determination and fight.....and I don't see anyone out there to do it......I sincerely hope, I am wrong....because thats all I have left, HOPE.

I can’t be more opposite at the moment.  I’m far more optimistic now after Gerrard has gone than before.  Of course we have issues elsewhere but so do most clubs.

I disagree, while the industry are disappointed Gerrard has gone, I think apart from a few, most think it was probably justified given the results and performances from what I’ve seen.

we don’t know how attractive the job is and I think most of us know the elite managers like Tuchel would always not be interested but that’s less about Villa and more that they’d only go to a handful of clubs anyway.

This job will be wanted by many, it’s a glorious opportunity with billionaire owners, massive club, great infrastructure and a good squad and great youth system in arguably the best league in the world and comes with a huge salary.  This job will be desired by some quality managers.  Dyche will be nowhere that.

Although we have Danks in charge, I’m not expecting much difference in fortunes on the pitch today, I’ve woken up this morning and I’m looking forward to going to the game.  

This is the start, getting rid of the main problem at the club a few days ago, we can look forward to the future and face the challenging issues with more optimism.  We’ll get a good manager, I don’t think the owners will let it be as bad as last time and they want to right their mistake. UTV

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think there is a more pragmatic job, to think about, before we even talk about trophies.

This team can't do the very basics, right now......This team has no fight or self respect.....thats the first job.

This is a relegation team, despite the individual talent.....as a team it has holes in it......we don't even have a centre forward.....just inside forwards, posing as one.

We can't head the ball, with any competence, so trophies are a few hurdles away at present.

We need a manager, well versed in, getting a bunch of individuals play as a team.....that's the first task.

Yeah I am not expecting instant trophies. I am thinking Emery must have something about him to build and guide a team to those achievements. I think he is a great tactician firstly, as his teams have to have been coming up against more expensively assembled teams and winning.

Who would you choose?

11 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Dyche gets a bad rep due to how he had to play with his resources at hand. Give me a team who will fight and bully a their way to a win right now.

Burnley also played some decent football at time. Dyche knew what they were and how to get that to compete.

Let him do that with Bournemouth then, not the Villa. May aswell take Allardyce????

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Dyche had 5 years to implement a style.  You go route one up and at em to start with if you are in the shit but surely over time and transfer windows you have the ability to change.

From the outside looking in he bought players to perfect that one style and that is why for me it's a no.

Emery is my choice ticks all the boxes.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Depends what you think worth his salt means.

We aren’t close to winning trophies, I never thought we were but we will be attractive to some quality managers.  I have no delusions of grandeur but obviously we are better than what Gerrard was offering us.  We are a team between 8th and 11th level with the squad we have yet under SG we played like a team trying to avoid relegation. 

I think we will be desired by top managers, just not by elite managers obviously like I said in the above post of mine.

I think it's a tough choice for the Villa heirachy this one. I'm glad it's not me having to make this decision!

I think it's clear that Poch and Tuchel are in most of our top 3 choices. Going off the rumours it sounds like both of them have turned us down or are not keen. The more I think about it, the more I think they are just out of reach for us this time round. A week ago I thought they would be gettable with the project and everything else we can offer but now I'm just not sure either would take it.

For me I think we need to be looking at a manager for the mid term so to speak, getting us up to the top 10 over the next couple of seasons and then maybe going for that higher calibre manager from there if we felt like we needed too. Based on that alone I think the more realistic appointments are: Emery, AVB, Dyche, Rodgers and maybe somebody like Hassenhuttl.

We then have Amorim who potentially is very exciting and a top manager in the making, I just have this horrible feeling if we paid the world record compo for him that it would just be so Villa for it to go badly wrong quickly. Based on what he has done so far though he would definitely be in my top 2 choices. 

There will be lots of other managers out there who could do a job for us of course, but to my knowledge those few are realistically the ones we should be looking at. Emery or Amorim would be the 2 I would go for first before moving onto any of the rest in my list.

36 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I agree, we don't need a top manager now. We need a savior and someone to consolidate our PL status. 

We need a strong character, with Premier League experience.....someone to turn these individuals in to a team.

but my suspicion is, most fans would baulk at that suggestion, because they think we are better than we are......league tables don't lie.

If folk think, we are better than we are, they are missing some fundamental parts of football, that have us around the relegation spots.

We need a wake up call.....because the problems have been staring us in the face , for a long time.

We have bought players, that have not addressed, the fundamental issues......Newcastle did, and Brentford did, in their rebuild.

We have bought too many ostentacious, types of players and failed to get in the substance for them to play with.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

We need a strong character, with Premier League experience.....someone to turn these individuals in to a team.

but my suspicion is, most fans would baulk at that suggestion, because they think we are better than we are......league tables don't lie.

If folk think, we are better than we are, they are missing some fundamental parts of football, that have us around the relegation spots.

We need a wake up call.....because the problems have been staring us in the face , for a long time.

We have bought players, that have not addressed, the fundamental issues......Newcastle did, and Brentford did, in their rebuild.

We have bought too many ostentacious, types of players and failed to get in the substance for them to with.

We have had lots with PL experience, that is not the issue. Yes it is a good league with passionate fans and media, but we need a good manager, regardless of where he plied hi ls trade before. Someone with passion,  flexibility and tactical understanding. I don't really care if he hasanaged in the PL before. It's just a soup of nepotistic vultures jumping between clubs anyway. We need to change the tune, and if our execs can't do it, they need to get help or get out.

Edited by daft
  • Thanks 1