Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

I don’t understand the Dyche hate? I’m not saying he’s a good fit, but he’s the only person in the running outside Poch and Tuchel who’ve taken a PL team to Europe.

I get Burnley were one dimensional, but what made them successful if not the manager? Certainly wasn’t a glut of financial investment and star players. 

The football was turgid, you could put your wages on Ben Mee been his 1st Transfer, don't expect to see flair player's at villa Park (except from the opposition) we would have a team of cloggers. Don't want to see my team going out to end opposition player's careers thanks! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, calcifer said:

The football was turgid, you could put your wages on Ben Mee been his 1st Transfer, don't expect to see flair player's at villa Park (except from the opposition) we would have a team of cloggers. Don't want to see my team going out to end opposition player's careers thanks! 

Dyche would get hounded out after a few months.

Burnley fans can accept his football because their sole aim is to just stay in the league but our fans would not put up with it.

If we appointed Sean Dyche I would give up on our owners.

• Like 4

Take a step back and look at our squad, and where we should be. Despite how we're performing, that's a really good squad littered with internationals from some big countries, flair players who've done it.

Now think about how it all went under Stevie G, and how he managed to dampen our expectations with his dodgy system and then the eventual regression to "Tony Pulis on Steroids" football.

That's why people are mentioning Sean Dyche. Sort your expectations out guys, we're beyond that now!

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

People fixating on years’ experience. It means next to nothing. Guardiola had no experience when he took over Barca, Mourinho at Porto, Wenger was a compete unknown before he arrived in the UK, Potter is a more recent example. 

We need someone able to stamp an identity on us, you don’t need experience for that, you need expertise.

I don’t care who the next guy is so long as he can turn us back into a decent, competitive and at least occasionally exciting team to watch.

As the hiring club,ow do you gauge expertise? Experience seems a pretty good metric. A major reason why Gerrard was such a disaster was because he didn't have the requisite experience.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Take a step back and look at our squad, and where we should be. Despite how we're performing, that's a really good squad littered with internationals from some big countries, flair players who've done it.

Now think about how it all went under Stevie G, and how he managed to dampen our expectations with his dodgy system and then the eventual regression to "Tony Pulis on Steroids" football.

That's why people are mentioning Sean Dyche. Sort your expectations out guys, we're beyond that now!

I have mentioned it a few times now so some posters may not like this, but I in my opinion the squad is awful. We have a select few good players, but there are many that I would want us to get rid off asap. We really lack talent in multiple areas of the pitch. 
Now, we can’t blame that solely on Gerrard, he attempted to bring in individuals of quality, and to be fair, he did. But our recruitment over the last couple of summers has been mostly awful. That suggests there is a lot going on at the club which has made that particular area of the footballing side of the business an absolute circus. 

Kamara is a gem, but we will be losing him if we fail to turn things around. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

For me it was that diving header attempt that nearly went for a throw from 8 yards out when all he needed to do was side foot it in. I'd have subbed immediately paid off his contract and told him to gtfo that second 

I was absolutely flabbergasted by that. 

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

As the hiring club,ow do you gauge expertise? Experience seems a pretty good metric. A major reason why Gerrard was such a disaster was because he didn't have the requisite experience.

I mean, maybe we should ask David Dein or Nicola Cortese to consult on the manager search. They both did a good job of plucking extremely exciting and successful managers from nowhere. 

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

People fixating on years’ experience. It means next to nothing. Guardiola had no experience when he took over Barca, Mourinho at Porto, Wenger was a compete unknown before he arrived in the UK, Potter is a more recent example. 

We need someone able to stamp an identity on us, you don’t need experience for that, you need expertise.

I don’t care who the next guy is so long as he can turn us back into a decent, competitive and at least occasionally exciting team to watch.

Wenger managed in Ligue 1 for 12 years where he won the league and reached the Champions League semi-final with Monaco. Then spent an year and a half in Japan where he took over a side who the season before finished bottom of the league and took them to 2nd place and winning a cup the following season before leaving to Arsenal.

Potter was at Ostersund for 8 years where he took them from the 4th division to top-flight with a limited budget, winning silverware and performing admirably in the Europa league. Then did a season in the Championship.

Quite the opposite of no experience.

Mourinho and Guardiola, yes.

The more experience a manager has the more accurately you can judge their “expertise”, quite obviously the less time they’ve been in the game the more of an unknown quantity they are. Gerrard is a prime example.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I’d like to think that the club are conducting a really well researched process with outside advice/expertise. I’m hoping it’s not just Purslow, Lange and Nassef Googling good football managers.

49 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I’d imagine Dyche is nowhere near the statement signing the club want to make. 

I’m not sure we should keep looking for statement signings either at player or manager level. I’m not necessarily advocating Dyche or Rogers who would both leave me cold but I do think, given we seem to have regressed we need to walk before we can run and worry more about points, safety and team balance/harmony than how we look to the outside world. 

15 minutes ago, penguin said:

Wenger managed in Ligue 1 for 12 years where he won the league and reached the Champions League semi-final with Monaco. Then spent an year and a half in Japan where he took over a side who the season before finished bottom of the league and took them to 2nd place and winning a cup the following season before leaving to Arsenal.

Potter was at Ostersund for 8 years where he took them from the 4th division to top-flight with a limited budget, winning silverware and performing admirably in the Europa league. Then did a season in the Championship.

Quite the opposite of no experience.

Mourinho and Guardiola, yes.

The more experience a manager has the more accurately you can judge their “expertise”, quite obviously the less time they’ve been in the game the more of an unknown quantity they are. Gerrard is a prime example.

You’re right about these two, they had talent rather than experience. Amorim falls into this category.

Gerrard was a fraud. Who has no tactical knowledge, and relayed on Beale. The comparisons with Amorim are laughable. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TomC said:

Machine translation of the most relevant parts (the first part discusses how he wants the Real Madrid job and never gets it):

I don't know the paper's reputation, and it's hard to parse the words in translation. It says "could" return, so that doesn't sound like they're certain, though who knows what the exact sense is in Spanish.

Oh its spam of the highest order. If every paper was right we would have 6 managers again starting with O'Leary 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Dyche would get hounded out after a few months.

Burnley fans can accept his football because their sole aim is to just stay in the league but our fans would not put up with it.

If we appointed Sean Dyche I would give up on our owners.

Yep, we’d make him ill. He wouldn’t last two minutes at the villa . 

• Like 1

I voted Emery as he has a good solid history of winning trophies at unfashionable clubs. I think that is the position we find ourselves in currently. I feel he was harshly treated at Arsenal, and was always going to be up against it following in Wengers footsteps. 

However, I wouldn’t be upset if Poch is announced as the new manager either.

I don’t think Tuchel will be an option, but again would be happy as Larry if he rocked up at VP.

On 21/10/2022 at 21:08, Marka Ragnos said:

This thread is a breath of fresh air. Just need to hear who @Zatman and @TRO want and I’ll be all set. 

I don't really know, because, I still think we have plenty of issues ,elsewhere.

I also, think now the dust is settling, we are not coming out of this in a good light.

We might be sure, as fans, That Steve had to go.......but the industry are not as happy with the manner of the exit, and that means getting a new guy, might be more difficult than we think. We as a club, have not come out of this well.

This job, for one reason or another, is not as attractive as it first looks.....A poison chalice, Might be a bit harsh, but its not far off.

Under the circumstances, we might not do any better than Sean Dyche......but we can't be sure, he would come, that's about where we are.

I don't think any manager worth his salt, will take the risk.

We need a massive turnaround in energy, will, determination and fight.....and I don't see anyone out there to do it......I sincerely hope, I am wrong....because thats all I have left, HOPE.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I have mentioned it a few times now so some posters may not like this, but I in my opinion the squad is awful. We have a select few good players, but there are many that I would want us to get rid off asap. We really lack talent in multiple areas of the pitch. 
Now, we can’t blame that solely on Gerrard, he attempted to bring in individuals of quality, and to be fair, he did. But our recruitment over the last couple of summers has been mostly awful. That suggests there is a lot going on at the club which has made that particular area of the footballing side of the business an absolute circus. 

Kamara is a gem, but we will be losing him if we fail to turn things around. 

I keep hearing this and its bullshit, due the fact we have been watching Gerrard ball for the past year. They may not be CL chasers, but they should certainly be top half, above the likes of Bournemouth and Brentford. We have also seen the occasional flash of quality from this team too, including Man City draw and someone posted a video recently of some good pass and move football.

Admitted a couple may need to be dropped to get a system working again, McGinn, JJ, an we need to fire up the last of Coutinho, but I'm fairly happy we can still finish the top of of the table with a decent manager and hopefully crack on from there for next season.

Just now, NeilS said:

I voted Emery as he has a good solid history of winning trophies at unfashionable clubs. I think that is the position we find ourselves in currently. I feel he was harshly treated at Arsenal, and was always going to be up against it following in Wengers footsteps. 

However, I wouldn’t be upset if Poch is announced as the new manager either.

I don’t think Tuchel will be an option, but again would be happy as Larry if he rocked up at VP.

I think there is a more pragmatic job, to think about, before we even talk about trophies.

This team can't do the very basics, right now......This team has no fight or self respect.....thats the first job.

This is a relegation team, despite the individual talent.....as a team it has holes in it......we don't even have a centre forward.....just inside forwards, posing as one.

We can't head the ball, with any competence, so trophies are a few hurdles away at present.

We need a manager, well versed in, getting a bunch of individuals play as a team.....that's the first task.

16 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m not sure we should keep looking for statement signings either at player or manager level. I’m not necessarily advocating Dyche or Rogers who would both leave me cold but I do think, given we seem to have regressed we need to walk before we can run and worry more about points, safety and team balance/harmony than how we look to the outside world. 

I’m inclined to agree with the first part. I don’t think we should necessarily go for a statement, however from the noise from the club it looks like that’s what they are going for, hence Dyche likely off the table. 

I would disagree with the last part. While there are definitely issues I don’t think a short sighted managerial approach fixes anything. The owners and fan base clearly want to push on. Appointing a ‘steady the ship’ manager now means another managerial change in a year or two to achieve that pushing on - more upheaval and upsetting of the balance. Besides the issues, there is no rot that needs stopping this time. No need for a Bruce style signing.

I’d be looking for long term now. A rarity in football I know, but I’d like a coach who will commit 3 years to us and has a chance of getting us that progression we’re after. Not as guaranteed to keep us up as a Dyche or Large Sam, but let’s start building and focusing on that project again. It’s a risk-reward game and we’ve had mixed luck so far. 

Our most successful manager in the last 10 years wasn’t one of the stalwarts. It was a progressive, relatively new coach from Brentford that no one else went for. High risk - high reward. 

Anyway, that’s a long way of saying Unai Emery. Unai Emery. 

• Like 2