Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

How come no-one in the media is talking about Emery?  Has he already said no or something?

This tells me he's the most likely to join. We don't **** about and are pretty good at keeping things under wraps.

My worry, is Managers like Poch, with top manager status, may be reluctant to work hard, to transform these players.

Is he hungry enough?, or just, interested in moving in on a star studdied side....and just tweaking here and there.

We need someone who is clear, that hard work is ahead......and who can, get hard work from this mottley crew....who think semi pressing and plodding around is ok.

I am dubious, that we are ready, for the real top class, guv'nor......

This new manager, needs to know we are in a relegation fight, if he don't already, and they are going to get us out?

This next one, might not be all that appealing, but practicality comes first.

Its no good, planning for Europe, if we haven't got the nous to stay in the division.

• Like 3

It's annoying how much it matters where we are in the table today. Media report about us currently being in a relegation battle and managers obviously listen to that.

With only 2 more points we could have been 13th instead. Midtable and not a word would have been written about relegation battles.

Just now, TRO said:

My worry, is Managers like Poch, with top manager status, may be reluctant to work hard, to transform these players.

Is he hungry enough?, or just, interested in moving in on a star studdied side....and just tweaking here and there.

We need someone who is clear, that hard work is ahead......and who can, get hard work from this mottley crew....who think semi pressing and plodding around is ok.

I am dubious, that we are ready, for the real top class, guv'nor......

This new manager, needs to know we are in a relegation fight, if he don't already, and they are going to get us out?

This next one, might not be all that appealing, but practicality comes first.

Its no good, planning for Europe, if we haven't got the nous to stay in the division.

I don’t think we’d have that issue with Poch, he comes across as a professional and would put 100% in.

• Like 1

I don't know about Dyche. Aren't his game plans somewhat similar to late-era Gerrard -- defensive and deep -- if more successful than SG? It just doesn't seem like this works anymore in the PL, or rather, it can only get you so far, and then you get found out and you're in trouble. I certainly don't know what the secret of advancing beyond survival is for we non-petrostate clubs in the PL, but I don't see evidence that Dyche can get us beyond where we've just been in the last two years.     

Dyche took Burnley into Europe and kept them in the PL for 5 seasons with virtually no money. Villa are just outside the relegation zone and haven't been in Europe for about 15 years but apparently Dyche isn't big enough for them. A large cohort have probably spent the day looking at “what tactics does he play “ videos on YouTube about the Sporting guy who up until 9 am this morning , ya hadn’t even heard of him 🙈

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

just as a matter of interest Nick....when did you feel, your initial support was unfounded, not a loaded question, just interested.

I know for a spell, you was on the fence, when did you feel, it wasn't going to work out?

As you and I discussed at the time, as he was appointed I decided to give blind support, then joined ‘the train’ as you called it about the fifth game in as we were flying and the sixth game was the same.  I started to worry a bit after that as we dropped off the cliff with intensity but we got that great come back against Man U but following Jan mini preseason we were different but and we looked a different team then when my concerns came back.  We somehow had three stunning victories at the end of Feb/early March which really surprised me as I was convinced he didn’t have it so I was confused.  Delighted but confused! After that though I had no doubt, we were just poor…so mid March it started to feel it wasn’t going to work out definitely was about the time, the performances, cohesion and tactics didn’t have it.

I don’t think I was fully onboard with him ever because my initial concerns were too strong but I backed him at games when I was at the ground.  He’s one of the few managers we’ve had that I’ve felt were wrong including the likes of McLeish.  Sometimes you just know they aren’t going to work out quickly.

I really hope it’s not the same with the next manager as I’ll have to walk away from the Villa if that’s the case and be a tv Villa fan only because being older now I have other things in my life that I have to concentrate on that, Villa can’t be a stress/negative as well.  I love Villa and it’s always been one of my releases even in Villa down times so now I can’t have it be a negative as it’s been…it’s not winning or losing but negativity.  I want a manager that plays good football that I feel we’ve played as a team, we’ve given it a go.  I don’t expect Europe these days especially with the money the big teams have.  We have rich owners but it’ll take a lot to catch the Sky6 and eventually Newcastle.  I just want to enjoy my Villa and thus the right manager now is key.  Doesn’t have to be a big name but I don’t want a crap one, I don’t want another risk project and I don’t want a manager that plays dour football.  Just somebody that I can get behind even in bad times and hopefully more often good times.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bose said:

So any news form that lyric fella? Im starting to believe him give that he knew Poch had rejected us.

Nothing new since he repeated Thomas Frank and Emery were the frontrunners. Of which he mentioned Frank as a frontrunner before anyone else in the media had.

• Like 1