Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

West Ham showed with good coaching you can get European football, they went from relegation candidates to Europa in one season. I don’t want Gerrard, but I don’t expect us to be arsenal or Liverpool. What I do think it’s fair to expect is for us to be a competitive team on a weekly basis, I think that’s completely fair. And we’ve had ten months without that. 

West Ham league positions were:

14/15  12

15/16  7

16/17  11

17/18  13

18/19   10

19/20   16

20/21  6

21/22  7

They have been knocking around Mid table for ages. 

We weren't in the league until 19/20

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

West Ham league positions were:

14/15  12

15/16  7

16/17  11

17/18  13

18/19   10

19/20   16

20/21  6

21/22  7

They have been knocking around Mid table for ages. 

We weren't in the league until 19/20

More established in the league of course but they still jumped up 10 positions in one season due to Moyes. Wolves came from the championship and finished 7th. I believe with the right manager we have the squad for 8th

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

More established in the league of course but they still jumped up 10 positions in one season due to Moyes. Wolves came from the championship and finished 7th. I believe with the right manager we have the squad for 8th

Both established top 6 teams now though, right? 

Ambitious clubs make big decisions when they see an opportunity.

Do you think Spurs would have kept Gerrard if he was their manager and had the same start we have?

I don't.

I'm sure we have an opportunity to bring in a manager that can have us challenging for where our squad is expected to be as opposed to managing the expectation down from 7th to 17th.

Edited by jacketspuds

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Do you think Spurs would have kept Gerrard if he was their manager and had the same start we have?

I don't.

I'm sure we have an opportunity to bring in a manager that can have us challenging for where our squad is expected to be as opposed to managing the expectation down from 7th to 17th.

Slightly different as Levy isn't Gerrad's mate.  Also we have no idea what is happening in the background, no point in sacking Gerrard if we have nobody lined up.

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I don't.

Agreed, you have to take opportunities when they arise.

Spurs is one of the best examples, they are flying with Conte. An excellent decision (does anyone seriously believe they should’ve stuck with Nuno?).

Sticking with SG smacks as more of a lack of ambition than anything considering his abysmal record and dreadful performance over 10 months or so… 3 wins in 17 is it? I find it hard to agree with any fan who is ok with that or can still back the manager. I’ve been utterly drained by it…

A change is required and the right one at the right time could potentially help us achieve our ambitions…

rather than languishing and struggling in the bottom half for ages…

I know what I’d prefer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Slightly different as Levy isn't Gerrad's mate.  Also we have no idea what is happening in the background, no point in sacking Gerrard if we have nobody lined up.

I agree that it's different because Gerrard and Purslow have a close relationship, but it shouldn't be different.

They are both professionals, with their own targets, and I would imagine Purslow will get the boot if he doesn't hit his targets.

The issue we have is that Purslow has stuck Gerrard on a ridiculous salary, without the experience to justify it.

26 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I would take Tuchel in a heartbeat.  Huge upgrade.

Don't think he would work with Lange/Purslow very well to be honest, he is pretty outspoken. I agree he would be a massive upgrade on Gerrard, but so would Steve Bruce HAHA!!!

12 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Don't think he would work with Lange/Purslow very well to be honest, he is pretty outspoke

He seems the type to burn his bridges with the players and the board in a couple of years. That's all we need though, two years of strong progress and then we'd be in a position to go shopping at the top end of the manager market. Tuchel is part of that bracket so if it is at all possible we could get him after the Chelsea sacking we should be all over it.

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

But Potter’s win% will guaranteed be higher at Chelsea. Will that mean he’s suddenly any better a manager?

ok - i agree that there's little point comparing win % of managers at different level of club. so yes comparing the potter win % at brighton to his likely win % at chelsea is pointless

Thomas Tuchel had a crazy record at chelsea..

100 games played

60 wins

24 draws

16 losses

Thats a 60% win ratio..

If we could just send him to anger management classes i would have him here in the morning (if he would come)

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

100 games played

60 wins

24 draws

16 losses

Thats a 60% win ratio..

If we could just send him to anger management classes i would have him here in the morning (if he would come)

But that's only 3% higher than RDM at Chelsea. Meaning he would have a 11% win rate here?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

100 games played

60 wins

24 draws

16 losses

Thats a 60% win ratio..

Roberto Di Matteo had a 57% win ratio a Chelsea and also won the CL 🤷‍♂️

Not saying Tuchel is as bad a coach as Di Matteo, but win % aren't a good judge of how good a manager is.