Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

They dont have the PL pulling power 

I'll buy you a dozen pineapple empanadas if Poch joins Villa. I think Potter is a better fit, but won't be available, sadly.  @Demitri_C has sort of persuaded me that Rodgers is a realistic and on balance wise choice given the alternatives. I'm not a Rodgers Year Three fan, but I like his Year Ones as manager. But mostly we don't know what's going to happen in this next week.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Image is gone, but I think I know the footage you are talking about.

We'd just equalised and Gerrard erupted in joy but quickly settled down and motioned for his staff to do the same. It's almost as if he was embarrassed to celebrate - I certainly wasn't!

Yes! Lol

Hopefully I fixed the link.

The problem is with Rodgers is that if we accept that he has a managerial life span of 3 years, the third being rubbish, then are we assuming that the first two years will be great?

Then do we sack him after winning the league, and FA cup because he will be rubbish in his year 3...?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

The problem is with Rodgers is that if we accept that he has a managerial life span of 3 years, the third being rubbish, then are we assuming that the first two years will be great?

Then do we sack him after winning the league, and FA cup because he will be rubbish in his year 3...?

As long as he gets us promoted in year one that's fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Surrly better than what we currently have? Give me those forst two years any day

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Yes we do and don't feel bad about it. 

This is modern football. 

6 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

LOL

They finished 15th position, they were 1 point above relegation in Jan of that season and finished on a whopping 40 points which was, as u say, their highest ever points tally in the PL, Its amazing how, without context, something can be made sound slightly better than it actually is 

... like a 1-1 draw at home to Man City?

6 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is also 32 games in his entire career as a Premier League club manager

Some of Gerrards biggest supporters on here wanted Smith sacked way before he reached that amount of Premier league games. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Thug said:

I guarantee you if we were winning games playing great football, the people calling for his head would be his biggest fans.

It’s just a reflection on peoples personalities.

There are no hidden agendas, it is all about the appraisal of someone’s performance.

The fact that we are celebrating a draw with city where we were comfortably second best is testament to how far we have fallen.  It wasn’t long ago when we were going toe to toe with them and only losing because of an unbelievable offside decision that wasn’t given allowing Rodri to rob Mings and score.

And here we are just 2 seasons on, gushing with optimism because we didn’t lose 6-0? 

Just how dire have we been in recent times to be celebrating the fact that we clung on for a point.

Its an extremely positive result, but only relative to where we are now.

Like I’ve said before, I’m delighted we got a point, and the improvement has meant I’m just a little more patient.

But my satisfaction levels have gone from 100% from before losing Grealish, to 70% before sacking smith, to 10% before the city game, to 15% after that draw.

There  may have been an upturn in fortune. But he’s still guided us from 70% to 15% in my eyes.  He’s got a long long long way to go yet, but I would genuinely be delighted for him (and us) if he manages it.

I've listened to a few of the normal villa podcasts and quite surprised at the positivity. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the result and it was better than recent weeks. 

But you're absolutely right. It's been so bad for so long that showing a bit of fight and not getting hammered by man City is now seen as some big moment. 

It seems to be forgotten that for an entire calendar year so far we've averaged just 1 point per game, simply because we got 1 point against man City. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, messi11 said:

Gerrard beat Rodgers Leicester 2-1 at Villa park in December! 
Rodgers is currently on 6 games without a win! Looks Clueless currently with his team sitting at the bottom of the table. 
We don't want Rodgers at all. Hype Job that plays Dinosaur football 

Yeah but Rogers has the chance to beat an elite manager next weekend and take Leicester off the bottom. Can’t be ignored. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

But by then, Potter had already changed Brighton’s whole way of playing completely. Turned them from a traditional long ball team to a possession based one. After such a big overhaul it took time for results to pick up, but the changes were there to see almost immediately.

Erm this part isn’t true. Even when in League 1 with Gus Poyet in charge they played short passing possession based football, same when Oscar Garcia took charge and Houghton also wasn’t a long ball manager. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

But by then, Potter had already changed Brighton’s whole way of playing completely. Turned them from a traditional long ball team to a possession based one. After such a big overhaul it took time for results to pick up, but the changes were there to see almost immediately.

However I agree that Potter took it up another level, he is an English hybrid of Wenger and Pep. 

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Erm this part isn’t true. Even when in League 1 with Gus Poyet in charge they played short passing possession based football, same when Oscar Garcia took charge and Houghton also wasn’t a long ball manager. 

They were a long ball team under Hughton. Not like, Alex McLeish long ball, but they were quite direct on the counter and played to Glenn Murray's strengths, especially during set pieces.

Very different from Potter's Brighton. You could see the change within like 10 games of when he joined. I remember by the 8th or 9th game they played Spurs off their own park with an Aaron Connolly hat trick (remember him?), then they came to VP the next game and passed us to death with 10 men (though we had the last laugh).

21 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Not many teams will get a point off Man City this season, please just be happy we achieved that see the positives of drawing against the best team in the World, whether that’s with Gerrard in charge or not.

I am very happy with the result. It was important to stop the rot. 

But let's not rewrite history here. 

Gerrard managed to organize us in a very defensive shape and managed to get a good result. Fair play to him and let's hope we can build on that. 

But the idea of us going to to toe with Man City that game is simply not true. 

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 4