Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why are people citing "what we did with Smith" as a bad thing?

He got us promoted, kept us in the league, and when he couldn't take us any further he was moved on.

That is exactly what we should be doing.

People are always looking for a manager who is going to stay here for 20 years and win every trophy going with us. It doesn't happen.

We need to recruit a manager who will take us on that next step. For us that should be making us a top half team and challenging for Europe. If he can then keep progressing us and take us into Europe and climbing the table then he stays. if he can't, then he goes and we recruit the next guy who takes us another step further.

We aren't going to discover the next Arsene Wenger. People need to stop turning their noses up at managers who aren't good enough to win the league or whatever. We don't need that. 

Sounds like a job for big Sam if you ask me.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why are people citing "what we did with Smith" as a bad thing?

He got us promoted, kept us in the league, and when he couldn't take us any further he was moved on.

That is exactly what we should be doing.

People are always looking for a manager who is going to stay here for 20 years and win every trophy going with us. It doesn't happen.

We need to recruit a manager who will take us on that next step. For us that should be making us a top half team and challenging for Europe. If he can then keep progressing us and take us into Europe and climbing the table then he stays. if he can't, then he goes and we recruit the next guy who takes us another step further.

We aren't going to discover the next Arsene Wenger. People need to stop turning their noses up at managers who aren't good enough to win the league or whatever. We don't need that. 

Yes, it felt harsh but necessary at the time. Bit like Southampton with Adkins. Only they then made a very good appointment, which we (most probably,  but there's still a tiny chink of hope) haven't 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

That's why I would be tempted to keep him until we have a better choice of managers and a better team of football experts to pick him. We can't go on being effectively rudderless ,in football terms , at the very top of the club.

I'd rather just have Critchely take over as interim rather than Gerrard manage us for another day

• Like 1

Who decides?

I mean, literally, who initiates the ending of a manager's contract? It's always seemed foggy to me. "The board decides." "Purslow tells his man."  "It's up to the owners." etc etc.

Can anyone offer a little insight into Villa's current process for firing a manager for those of us who've forgotten or don't know?

Really haven't seen any credibly sourced journalism that indicates the two names mentioned most often as replacements are remotely interested.

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'd rather just have Critchely take over as interim rather than Gerrard manage us for another day

I wouldn't, Critchely would probably go with Gerrard anyway and leave us deeply in trouble. I see Gerrard's weaknesses, lack of experience, it maybe he turns this around at some stage this season and we could benefit from that. Or he may walk away and leave with no pay off. 

This is obviously subject to us not being deeply in the bottom 3 and us not having any other top class experienced options to manage us. 

We need to start thinking smart and not let emotions get in the way of our decisions, as I believe Purslow did, when he picked Gerrard.  

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

I wouldn't, Critchely would probably go with Gerrard anyway and leave us deeply in trouble. I see Gerrard's weaknesses, lack of experience, it maybe he turns this around at some stage this season and we could benefit from that. Or he may walk away and leave with no pay off. 

This is obviously subject to us not being deeply in the bottom 3 and us not having any other top class experienced options to manage us. 

We need to start thinking smart and not let emotions get in the way of our decisions, as I believe Purslow did, when he picked Gerrard.  

Why? We still have coaches there from Smith's days.

22 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I don’t know what to make of this account. On the one hand he did seem to know some stuff early- the Sarr deal being off, line ups and a couple of other things I think. On the other hand, I think he knows he’s got Villa fans on strings and is enjoying every minute of it. 
I call BS on this one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I don’t know what to make of this account. On the one hand he did seem to know some stuff early- the Sarr deal being off, line ups and a couple of other things I think. On the other hand, I think he knows he’s got Villa fans on strings and is enjoying every minute of it. 
I call BS on this one.

Yeah agreed

19 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Met Poch yesterday and we're apparently in for Moura today. I think it's safe to put the 'it's happening' gif on this and rename the thread

I bloody love the It's Happening GIF.

Although the CJ Golson has made me wary.

Edited by Tom13