Where did Gerrard go wrong?

mallett

4 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

theres some crap in our team PaulC, and i think any manager would struggle.

He should have been allowed to bring in at least 2 more players in, and i think if he had he would still be in a job.

Bailey, Watkins and Ings are shocking, and an absolute disgrace. Luiz is a fraud, and McGinn has been poor since Jack left.

Ramsey needs a rest, Cash has been poor, Mings at least tries, but when a 37/38 year old has the best attitude, and is our best player, hows that the managers fault.

If we don't get Poch then i think we , hopefully not, but i think we could be in trouble.

We're in trouble because of Gerrard. I hope we get a proven manager who can allow these players to find their feet again and play with confidence, like they have in the past. Ings is proven, to say he's crap, full stop, is just bollox.

• Thanks 1

For me, it was simple: bad tactics (including substitutions) and stubborn refusal to drop certain players who didn't perform.

Except for a few high profile cases (mostly Sanson), the man management stuff is mostly speculation. It may or may not have been an additional factor. Maybe when players are writing their autobiographies in the future, we'll know more.

These players got DS the sack.

Whoever comes in needs at least 6 new 1st teamers.

The only players good enough, apart from SGs signings, who are all good enough, are Martinez, Mings, Cash and Ramsey. All the rest need replacing, if not we will be having the same conversation in 12/18 months time.

Where to start. 

No identity to his team. Trying to be the only team to play with zero width. Constantly chopping and changing his front 3, yet sticking with a midfield that never worked. The whole mings saga and giving mcginn the armband. Our complete lack of fight when going behind. The bullshit about having to sacrifice the good football to focus on defence. The no excuse culture but then made excuses as to why we had to become so defensive and boring. The abysmal performances against promoted teams. 

I think that might be all for now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Based on 10 months?

You judge a manager by the players he brings in

3 of his signings played last night and one was dragged off at half time and the other 2 had about 5 touches between them

These tweets sum up at least part of it (funny how the original text that is quoted appears to be written as a positive thing regarding Gerrard).

The club have to take some responsibility too for facilitating/agreeing to this strategy.

• Like 2

His main balls up was taking the captaincy away from Mings. Really set a bad tone for the start of the season. Then doubling down by saying being captain doesn't mean you can't be dropped and now we know that was a load BS. At this point in his career he's just not a good tactician and his game management from the touchline is piss poor. Never really got the fans on side and never did I see this "All in" attitude actually translate to something exciting. Supported him but now glad he's gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Based on 10 months?

You judge a manager by his system, shape and tactics... And Gerrard had none of those

If you then say all of that is down to his coaching staff and you judge a manager by his ability to motivate players to play better than their actual ability again he didn't have that either, it was probably the opposite

Lange and his scouting team bring the players in, Gerrard might chirp up with who he wants and he definitely seemed active in pushing them over the line but transfers aren't the sole role of a manger

5 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Based on 10 months?

This makes no sense at all. 'Bringing players in' isn't the manager's sole responsibility (in any case Gerrard didn't have a single transfer success). 

Managers actually get judged by first results, second style of play, third a connection to fans and media. Results is way above the others. 

• Like 2

Shouldn't have taken the job, that was his and our first mistake. To think that he was cut out for what was tipped as a European push in the Premier League (!) after just 3 years in Scotland was egotistical on his part and delusional on the board's. 

He was just never good enough.

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

These tweets sum up at least part of it (funny how the original text that is quoted appears to be written as a positive thing regarding Gerrard).

The club have to take some responsibility too for facilitating/agreeing to this strategy.

Many have been saying this for a long time.

• Like 1

Â