Where did Gerrard go wrong?

mallett

I think we would need to know what remit he was presented with when he was given the job, to assess how much was his fault.

If Parslow had presented him with a vision of elegant, eye-catching, attacking football, we might get an idea why he bought Coutinho and persisted with playing Watkins and Ings, despite the evidence that they didn't work as a pair. 

His early success was probably down to the opposition not being set-up to deal with it, and results got worse when the opposition changed to stifle Villa's creative players.

Luck: the loss to injury of his two aquisitions which he bought to improve defensive positions, in Carlos and Kamara, was very unlucky, especially the latter, and the loss of Digne, robbed Villa of an important attacking option on the left.

I think his biggest mistake was taking the captaincy off Mings, which I think upset the harmony of the dressing room.

His constant changes to the team, looked like desperation and prevented the team from settling, which further affected confidence.

His own frustration was obvious and I think it further unsettled the squad.

In short, he needed a more cautious approach, better man-management, more patience and far better luck.

The unwillingness to change, adapt and work with the team.

I think he had this success with Rangers that he thought put him in an ‘I am experienced manager’ mindset. The tactics  and formation he was reliant on didn’t work in the premier league but didn’t want to change. The fact he got rid of all our wide players in a league where wide players thrive (even Willian last night… ) was naive. 2x 9s and 2x 10s just doesn’t work unless you have top quality players.

That and the Mings, Sanson, Guilbert situations didn’t help.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I don’t think he is the worst - I’d save that accolade for McNeil although it’s a rizla paper between them imo 

I have been supporting Villa since the mid fifties, and I think he is the worst I have seen.

39 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think we would need to know what remit he was presented with when he was given the job, to assess how much was his fault.

If Parslow had presented him with a vision of elegant, eye-catching, attacking football, we might get an idea why he bought Coutinho and persisted with playing Watkins and Ings, despite the evidence that they didn't work as a pair. 

His early success was probably down to the opposition not being set-up to deal with it, and results got worse when the opposition changed to stifle Villa's creative players.

Luck: the loss to injury of his two aquisitions which he bought to improve defensive positions, in Carlos and Kamara, was very unlucky, especially the latter, and the loss of Digne, robbed Villa of an important attacking option on the left.

I think his biggest mistake was taking the captaincy off Mings, which I think upset the harmony of the dressing room.

His constant changes to the team, looked like desperation and prevented the team from settling, which further affected confidence.

His own frustration was obvious and I think it further unsettled the squad.

In short, he needed a more cautious approach, better man-management, more patience and far better luck.

You can alleviate the need for luck if you know what you are doing.

For me it was when he started creating needless animosity amongst the playing staff. For example, when he first came in he lionised Nakamba, then all of a sudden he was persona non grata, same with Sanson, Traore and Guilbert. Fair enough if you don't fancy these players, but there is a way to conduct yourself and get your intentions across to them. IMO it is poor man-management to cut people off like that, you need everyone singing from the same hymn sheet, if you cause discord like that in a tight knit group people will be thinking "am i next"?

It was just something that didnt need to be done, when you are new to the job your focus should be on fitting in and assimilating, not causing waves and ructions, you should map out the environment first before you start pulling up trees. It went downhill swiftly from there, as many of the players he alienated were not then able to be used by him as it would admit defeat, others who could have done a job for us were bombed out (including el ghazi and trezeguet for peanuts, okay long term they need improving but was there any urgent need to get them out how quickly we did, the squad was made weaker as we didnt really replace them and they got goals for us).

• Like 1

He should have broken the squad up quicker.

His signings have been good, but 9 of the players who got DS sacked played last night, Ashley Young at 38 is our best player, too many players who are unreliable, and poor quality.

I still think it is a mistake getting rid of Gerrard, and i fear that this might be the start of the current owners losing interest.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

It would be interesting to see if he gets an other managerial job after this. While he repeat the same mistakes there?

He might not want another job in management. Don't see him dropping to the championship. 

5 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

He should have broken the squad up quicker.

His signings have been good, but 9 of the players who got DS sacked played last night, Ashley Young at 38 is our best player, too many players who are unreliable, and poor quality.

I still think it is a mistake getting rid of Gerrard, and i fear that this might be the start of the current owners losing interest.

The players let him down. Maybe he is a poor manager and it was time for him to go but theres only 37 year old Young and Martinez that he could rely on for a good performance every game. Quite pathetic really 

theres some crap in our team PaulC, and i think any manager would struggle.

He should have been allowed to bring in at least 2 more players in, and i think if he had he would still be in a job.

Bailey, Watkins and Ings are shocking, and an absolute disgrace. Luiz is a fraud, and McGinn has been poor since Jack left.

Ramsey needs a rest, Cash has been poor, Mings at least tries, but when a 37/38 year old has the best attitude, and is our best player, hows that the managers fault.

If we don't get Poch then i think we , hopefully not, but i think we could be in trouble.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

theres some crap in our team PaulC, and i think any manager would struggle.

He should have been allowed to bring in at least 2 more players in, and i think if he had he would still be in a job.

Bailey, Watkins and Ings are shocking, and an absolute disgrace. Luiz is a fraud, and McGinn has been poor since Jack left.

Ramsey needs a rest, Cash has been poor, Mings at least tries, but when a 37/38 year old has the best attitude, and is our best player, hows that the managers fault.

If we don't get Poch then i think we , hopefully not, but i think we could be in trouble.

I expect we'll get the new manager bounce but these players are in their comfort zone.  

Just now, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Well that would probably make us about £40m profit AV82,

How much would you get for all of DSs signings?

You'd be lucky to get half of what you paid

I'd rather the latter if it meant the man at the helm wasn't running the club into the ground.

Â