A Full English Breakfast

villa4europe

Not trying to be controversial but I think this thread is out of date. The world has moved on from a plate of fried grease. Give me poached eggs, grilled flat mushrooms, toasted muffins, black pudding, and a hollandaise sauce. Amazing. Alternatively swap the muffins for toasted Irish sofa bread and add a slice of cheese.

Leave your bacon, beans, and sausages in the past and the bin.

• Shocked 1

Stopped at Warwick Service station on way from from Chelsea game and had breakfast at place called The Good Breakfast. I know you shouldn't expect too much but it feels like they need reporting to trading standards because Bloody Awful Breakfast would be a much more accurate name for the business. The food struck an impressive balance between being incredibly over cooked and dry while at the same time being tepid verging on cold. 

The black pudding was like a soil that just spread all over the plate. There were no beans or eggs available so the only moisture came from totatoes which were so overcooked they were like a pure mush which was almost a ketchup. 

Overall in the top 3/4 worst breakfasts I've ever had. 

Avoid if you get the chance!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Actually let's hear it for the minimalist version - bacon and eggs (plus toast and tea/coffee). EBL (English Breakfast Lite) as I call it. 

Sometimes it's all you need. 

I prefer an EDL if I'm going minimal items

Spoiler

Gammon and Eggs not bacon

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Not trying to be controversial but I think this thread is out of date. The world has moved on from a plate of fried grease.

get-out-leave.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Not trying to be controversial but I think this thread is out of date. The world has moved on from a plate of fried grease. Give me poached eggs, grilled flat mushrooms, toasted muffins, black pudding, and a hollandaise sauce. Amazing. Alternatively swap the muffins for toasted Irish sofa bread and add a slice of cheese.

Leave your bacon, beans, and sausages in the past and the bin.

Ooooh someone's just moved from Sainsburys to Waitrose ;) 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, blandy said:

People won’t take that suggestion sitting down.

wouldn't be as bad if it came with a (couch) potato rosti on the side. 

• Like 1

Cooked a slighted truncated FEB this morning. Didn't have any sausages or black pudding, so it was just orange juice, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, fried bread, toast, butter, marmalade, coffee. 

Mrs M spread marmalade on a piece of fried bread. Unorthodox, but I'll allow it. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Cooked a slighted truncated FEB this morning. Didn't have any sausages or black pudding, so it was just orange juice, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, fried bread, toast, butter, marmalade, coffee. 

Mrs M spread marmalade on a piece of fried bread. Unorthodox, but I'll allow it. 

icegif-539.gif

The rest of it sounds really good though although would have appreciated a sausage and would have switched the coffee with tea. I trust the beans were served in a ramekin?

Copyright @Xela

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/05/2024 at 09:57, mjmooney said:

I think you just wrote the manual, well done, sir. My only change would be unsmoked bacon, rather than smoked. 

I’m a firm believer smoked bacon is just a better form of bacon. But understand the change.

i would happily alter to have smoked streaky and then unsmoked back bacon, providing the grilling of the back bacon results in a crisp rind

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

really good though although would have appreciated a sausage

p02nmh38.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/05/2024 at 15:24, villa4europe said:

Mine was not truncated... 

My mom brought some bacon over and a girl I work with got me beautiful Irish black pudding 

IMG_20240504_143758_11.jpg

Looks good but the hashbrowns and beans look over cooked whilst the bacon might as well be called ham.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Looks good but the hashbrowns and beans look over cooked whilst the bacon might as well be called ham.

nah, to me you have to burn the bean juice off so that its providing a bit of wet without getting juice everywhere (kw) and the hash browns are there for texture, got to have a crunch to them

bacon does look a bit anemic 

biggest problem with it was the bread was good german brown bread but it didnt absorb the butter very well and didnt make decent fried bread

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

Â