January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Accidentally asked this in the wrong thread so thought I’d stick it here as well to get some more thoughts: 

So are people going to be ok with no signings, or a little bit worried about the remainder of the season - in terms of finish strongly? 

Im a bit of both - I think we will be ‘fine’ and finish pretty much middle of the pack. However I would have liked Emery to bring in some more of his players so we didn’t have to change so much over the summer. Start next season strongly and all that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Accidentally asked this in the wrong thread so thought I’d stick it here as well to get some more thoughts: 

So are people going to be ok with no signings, or a little bit worried about the remainder of the season - in terms of finish strongly? 

Im a bit of both - I think we will be ‘fine’ and finish pretty much middle of the pack. However I would have liked Emery to bring in some more of his players so we didn’t have to change so much over the summer. Start next season strongly and all that.

In two minds really. Don’t want to waste money by signing substandard players. However IF we don’t sign another forward we are going into the second half of the season weaker than we were. 
I get that people are happy to wait until summer but whilst I don’t think we will get Europe, I would still like to finish top half as I think we are a more attractive proposition finishing 9th than 14th/15th if we slip away due to injuries and suspensions. The five subs rule really highlights the need for a half decent bench.

I suppose if we don’t get the players we really want, a loan might be useful to bolster us.

IF no more signing are to happen, it’s a lesson learned about getting replacements in before letting the likes of Archer and Ings go.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

IF no more signing are to happen, it’s a lesson learned about getting replacements in before letting the likes of Archer and Ings go.

Any Cheif Exec, DoF or Manager that needs to learn that as a lesson shouldn't be in their job. It's basic bloody common sense and an absolute fundamental of any transfer window. And why don't you think we'll get Europe? We're three points off 6th and in better form than all but about three other teams.  It's very achievable, there is an opportunity there and it would be a shame to waste it by not strengthening now.

Edited by El Segundo

1 minute ago, El Segundo said:

Any Cheif Exec, DoF or Manager that needs to learn that as a lesson shouldn't be in their job. It's basic bloody common sense and an absolute fundamental of any transfer window.

I feel there has no either be no way a striker isn't coming in OR Emery has said if it doesnt happen I'll make it work. You just wouldn't loan Archer out otherwise.

54 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I'd like signings, naturally, but not that fussed if we don't do any business. Lets work the players we have with a superior manager.

I think too often the easy option is to keep buying players and hoping for everything to click. 

It's not about "keep buying players and hope they click" though is it.  It's about making sure we have enough depth on the bench,  and for when we inevitably get injuries and suspensions.  Currently I'd say we're short of cover.

Edited by El Segundo
spelling